MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Tue 24 August 2010, 18:02
Regnar
Just call me: Russell #69

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
Alan,

Sorry to hear about your loss. I hope you can recovery from this quickly.

I dont know how they got in but all I can say is fortify! These assholes are like cockroaches. Once they find a way in they will keep coming back. They also know you are going to replace the wire because you make a living off them.
Old Tue 24 August 2010, 21:57
Lex
Just call me: Johan #56

Empangeni KwaZuluNatal
South Africa
Jammer om te hoor Alan. Ek kan jou woede en frustrasie verstaan. Voorspoed en vasbyt!
Old Tue 24 August 2010, 23:08
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
We now have the added problem on our Fibre-Optic network at work. They see a cable, cut it to find worthless fibres. They dump it and go and find the next one. We then have to work through the night to fix the mess.

We now scatter some offcut cable pieces around the working cable...hoping that they will pick up this first and see it is worthless.

Last edited by Kobus_Joubert; Tue 24 August 2010 at 23:25..
Old Tue 24 August 2010, 23:54
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Alan,

I like the sign you put on your controller box with your serial number. Nice touch!
Old Wed 25 August 2010, 09:50
liaoh75
Just call me: David

Taibao
Taiwan
Sorry to hear about your situation. The good news is you can repair your own machine. Can you imagine purchasing a CNC router from a vendor and having the same thing happen? I think the service call would set you back a lot more than R2000 to replace the cables? There is an up side to everthing. Hope you get your blue beast up and running in short order!
Old Wed 25 August 2010, 11:55
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
Thanks for all the comments guys, David that put a smile on my face...

If I join the cables where they were cut with new cables to the box I might be able to get away with about R600 for the lapp cables (thanks to a weaker Euro) and R550 for the multipole connectors.

Would having joins in the cables cause possible noise issues? I plan to join the individual cores and cover them with heat shrink then use a short length of shielding to bridge between the two ends and cover the hole mess with another heat shrink.
Old Thu 26 August 2010, 01:21
hennie
Just call me: Hennie #23

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Alan put connectors in if it happen again they can just plug it out instead of cutting it of making a mess with the wires.
Old Thu 26 August 2010, 02:39
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Sorry to know of your depressing incident.
All are not loss, this press forward the dateline for the long wish list you must had stow away for a long time.
Yes, they are like crocoaches, they keep coming back for more throught the same path...
My house got broke in 3 time in a year... The first time they broke in in the afternoon about 2pm, I had to change all the doors, the second time, they came about 9am, I have to upgrade the locks & changes all the grill, then after the third time... The third time they came at about 5am WITHOUT WAKING ME UP while working through the RM1000 door locks & pads... & I just dug deep into my wallet & installed an alarm system... Life is so much inconvinient with arming & disarming the system evertime we get in or out of the house but it gave a piece of mind... So far recurring incidents yet... just hope this will keep them away..
Old Thu 26 August 2010, 02:45
Alan_c

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Ag nee man Hennie - daai's sommer a k@k idee
Old Thu 26 August 2010, 04:41
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Ek weet haal maar daai skiet ding uit.
Old Thu 26 August 2010, 05:27
vishnu
Just call me: vishnu

Coimbatore(TN)
India
Mechmate - Neighbors envy owners pride.
Old Thu 26 August 2010, 07:35
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
South africa friendly product

Alan get one of these
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nokia-7-65.jpg (24.4 KB, 1274 views)
Old Thu 26 August 2010, 18:24
PEU
Just call me: Pablo

Buenos Aires
Argentina
Thats not a nokia, thats a Glockia
Old Fri 27 August 2010, 07:58
Regnar
Just call me: Russell #69

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
The Glockia needs you to be there. Alan build yourself one of these and use pepper balls that the police here use.

Sentry Project. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QcfZ...eature=channel
Old Fri 27 August 2010, 08:12
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Or better yet, put up an electric fence around the MM when you leave.
Old Fri 27 August 2010, 12:01
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
No heath, They would steal the electric fence
Old Tue 07 September 2010, 03:38
Alan_c

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Machine back on line

Spliced in cables and fitted new plugs - everything working and no escaping smoke. Thank goodness I had documented where every wire goes along with its core number on my schematic, it was just a matter of following the numbers, hey even a monkey could do it...

Total cost to replace stolen items: R1200.00 It would have been a little less but the cable supplier now only sells cables in multiples of 10m so if you need 11m you must buy 20m (on the positive side, I suppose its still better than having to buy a whole drum as some others have had to.) I managed to get the plugs at a better price using some connections...

Now to catch up on the work waiting for the machine...
Old Tue 07 September 2010, 04:24
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Well done Alan, now for some more dust...
Old Tue 07 September 2010, 06:32
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Glad you were able to fix your machine. Yet another great thing about the MechMate. We can fix them ourselves. If you were insured I'd tack a heck of a labor charge to that repair. If you have to pay a vendor to come in and fix that it would have been expensive !!!
Old Wed 10 November 2010, 15:44
Alan_c

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Since having to replace some of my cables acquired by parties unknown, I mounted the control panel on the side of the machine to shorten the cable run. This made stating the machine a bit awkward as I had to move around the computer to get to the panel. The computer itself was on a mobile trolley that I had to wheel to and from the machine every time I wanted to use it.This was getting a bit tiresome and I am sure that the rolling backwards and forwards on the very bumpy floor was not doing the computer much good and the amount of dust getting into the computer was becoming a bit of a worry - so a plan had to be made to house the computer SECURELY at the machine as well as give me acces to the panel mounted switches to make starting and resetting easier. The result below is a pressurised and filtered box mounted on a swing arm that holds the computer, screen and switches. The sides, bottom panel centre divider and doors are machined from 18mm shutter ply, all the other faces are done in 12mm MDF.

view 1.jpg back view.jpg
General front and back views of the cabinet, the doors on the sides are held on with furniture screws screwing into rumper nuts fixed into the sides - these need an allen key to loosen and fasten. The door on the computer side has a window to enable viewing of the front panel lights. The door on the electrical panel side has a filtered outlet and mounting hook for the remote. The electrical warning sign still needs to be painted in red.

support arm.jpg
Support arm attached to the leg of the MechMate, there is a swivel plate below the cabinet with a central hole to allow the cables to pass through.

filter and fan.jpg
Filter and fan supplying positive pressure into the cabinet, filter is a small truck unit.

panel side.jpg panel side 2.jpg
Views into the electrical panel side, all the switches that used to be on the main electrical panel are now on the cabinet as well as an addition of a spindle light and hour meter. The only switch left on the main panel is the master switch/isolator. The back of the Dell computer can be seen through the centre divider inside the cabinet.

front view.jpg
Front view close up showing the angled keybord support and level mouse pad area. The small hole next to the mouse allows the cables for the mouse and keyboard to enter the cabinet as well as an extension for the USB port for the flash stick. The cable for the remote enters below the cabinet.

text engraving.jpg
While I was busy I thought I might as well use the MechMate to its potential and engraved the button and light functions into the front face of the cabinet. I still need to fill the text with a contrasting paint to make them stand out more.

Overall a succesfull project that has made operating the machine a lot easier and quicker to get going.
Old Wed 10 November 2010, 19:48
mrghm
Just call me: Gareth

Syd
Australia
very nice
Old Wed 10 November 2010, 20:11
timberlinemd
Just call me: Steve #66

Arizona
United States of America
I love it!
Old Wed 10 November 2010, 20:53
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
This should be a on ALL MechMates. I like it. Well done Alan
Old Wed 10 November 2010, 21:04
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Very Nice Alan!
Old Wed 10 November 2010, 23:05
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Fantastic!
Old Thu 11 November 2010, 03:09
Surfcnc
Just call me: Ross #74

Queensland
Australia
Hi Alan

Got to admire how you have turned a setback into such a positive.
Design wise your previous experience has obviously spoken loudly to you and what a great result.
From the built in grab handles to the pressurised box, I just love ya work.

Regards
Ross
Old Thu 11 November 2010, 06:37
Greg J
Just call me: Greg #13

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Alan,

I wish I had 1/10th of your creativity.

Maybe I'll start drinking some SA beer.
Old Thu 11 November 2010, 08:22
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
En praat van Kobus wat lekker speel, dit lyk goed
Old Thu 11 November 2010, 14:36
Alan_c

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Thanks for the comments guys.

Greg & Ross, you make me blush, strong praise from such a creative group.

(South African beer is to be recommended!)
Old Fri 12 November 2010, 02:57
jwt
Just call me: John

Wexford
Ireland
That looks fantastic.

My biggest problem with the MechMate is that I have a multitude of jobs ready for it but none of them are paying jobs.

Computer control box, remote control boat hull for son , panel doors for wardrobes for wife, belt reduction box, Victorian wall panelling for guest bathroom, Company Signage etc etc

Basically I could keep the MechMate and I busy for a month, but I'd be broke

You mentioned painting Alan. That reminds me of something i want to experiment with, cnc colouring in like a glorified printer plotter. Starting with markers and moving on to small air brushes using water based paints.

More non profitable time

John

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read