MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Construction started, but not cutting yet
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Thu 27 March 2008, 20:39
larry
Just call me: larry

walford
Canada
hope this post is right - Walford, Canada

hi I have been looking at this forum for some time now and have not been able to figure out how to post. I have been making a cnc router for a while and have been using this forum for information. It is a 5foot by 10 foot modified mech mate it has a 12 inch Z axes somewhat like the new shopbot format. I was having trouble with the linear bearings as I was using Dry lin bearings but they havent worked out as hoped to much play. so I ended up getting the V wheels and built the V rail grinder. I also but a attachment for the grinder to edge the flat bar that I am using for the rails as I can not get the angle iron square on both the top and the side this way I just line up the flat bar on the flat and put the other rail on edge and bolt it to the other bar. these bars are at a 90 degree angle to each other like a (L) also is there any one from the original group still reading these posts
Old Fri 28 March 2008, 04:27
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Larry,
Can you take a quick picture of what you have currently as your working model and post?
...and yes, all the original machine builders are still here and accounted for.
It sounds like your "fence" for the grinder is walking and leaving you a wavey grinding pass. Is this correct?

Please advise.

Sean
Old Fri 28 March 2008, 09:04
larry

walford
Canada
the fence isnt moving the main rail that I used has a bend in it from top to bottom about 1/2 inch like a sag I would love to do pictures but I dont know how, I don't know how the adapter to make the endge flat works well and I can get a perfect edge on the flat bar. also the V rail cutter makes a perfect V on the rail and it works fast I used it the other night and it took only 10 minutes to do a 4 foot section on a 1/4 inch anle with the top of the V straight. the table is the bent part and when I get the machine the way I want it I will use better material. I use what I have on hand to do thephoto type as there will be many changes before I am finished. I dont usaly put things on the net so I dont know how to do pictures and drawings I hope to learn. maye you can tell me how. I am glad that you all are still active. this forum has been a great help with many helpful hints thanks
Old Fri 28 March 2008, 09:30
larry

walford
Canada
as you can see I am not very good with posting for some reason I just did two post by mistake. I use what I have on hand for the photo type as I have to drive 100 miles each way for steel or pay 95 dollars for delivery. I live in northern ontario. also most of the parts I have to order at least 10 days in advance as it takes that long to get anything in even by pouralatoror or ups this is fast mail...I was just thinking maybe I will use the angle as I was able to get some 1\4 x1 1\2x 2 inch 10 feet long all I will have to do is shim it level I was going to do this but thought maybe it would be easier to use the flat bar.
Old Fri 28 March 2008, 10:34
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
You can mail me pics to post here for you
gerald@mechmate.com
Old Tue 01 April 2008, 13:40
larry

walford
Canada
I sent gerald a email in it I said if someone could tell me how to send pictures to this post or by email to gerald to post I would be happy to but I have never sent pictures by email before so I really dont know how. also i need to ask a stupid question. how fast will a size 23 stepper that puts out 425 oz in of toque normaly turn when working I want the pinon to turn about 65 rpm which with 20 teeth will give me 204 inches per minute. at 7 to 1 gear reduction this would be 455 rpm of the motor or at a 5to 1 this would be 325 rpm of the motor would this be to fast for stepper of this size. this would be for full travel at top speed it will cut a lot slower than this but at a normal cutting speed I want the motors turning fast enough to make them run smooth I would estamate at normal cutting speed they should turn at least 60 to a 120 rpm. if this will not work let me know why as I am about to purchase these motors and controllers from keling industries. I already got 4 minertia servos 120 oz in. at 3000 rpm. but the controllers will cost more than buying 4 steepers and 5 controler boards from them and this includes the power supply.
Old Tue 01 April 2008, 22:36
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Larry for sending pictures, it is going to be much easier to find someone near your home to teach you. Teenagers/students are good at it. Ask someone that come over to your computer to show you on your own software.
Old Tue 01 April 2008, 23:03
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
If you look at the recommended motor/gearbox from Oriental Motor, you will see it is a size 23 motor with a 7.2:1 gearbox. You are in the right ballpark.

But start with a pinion gear of 30 teeth - it is easier to experiment up and down with pinion gears, rather than to change belt ratios.

Plug your values into the spreadsheet over here to check your calculations.
Old Wed 02 April 2008, 11:45
larry

walford
Canada
thanks gerald but I already have the 20 pitch 20 tooth pinon with a maching gear rack. no I wasnt thinking oreintal motors I was using belt reduction with a cross shaft at the 3to1 reduction point and thank you for the chart link. I guess i was in the right ball park that was my big consern. also I will see if I can get a student to help down load pictures. I am in the shop today trying to figure out the layout of the rack pinon slide arangment . one motor on the X axes not two hopfully.............
Old Wed 02 April 2008, 11:59
larry

walford
Canada
sorry I was thinking after i read the reply i forgot to say the reason i wanted to use one motor instead of 2 was that I have heard over and over that the amount of presure on two motors if used on the x axes will not be even one will be puting out more pressure on the gantry as the y car is moved one side or the other and i didnt want the machine to lose steps on one side and rack the y axes. also it will give me more room for a reduction drive. this may sound stupid it is just my reasoning (the way i think) most higher end machines do it this way....thank again the the great forum I got a lot of my ideas from it without it I would still be searching out soulutions.. thanks again.
Old Fri 23 May 2008, 20:11
larry

walford
Canada
gerald I am now ready to hook up the control panel to my machine I got the motor moving yesterday like they said in one of the controler articals just touching the ground wire on the step of the gecko it worked it turned but i am having trouble getting a cable to interface the computer to the interface card it needs a cable with a male end for the computer and also a male end at the interface card it is a c10 card from keling inc. also got the power supply from him he sent the wrong one he sent a 40 volt 72 kva supply I needed a 55 volt one o well I guess I can make it work!!! 55 volt when converted to dc would of made 60 some volts 40 volts only make 55 volts I just had to hook the motors parall the voltage then gives 20 times the volts ok I guess. I will be using mach 3 If I can figure it out ha ha.. wanted to let you know my progress I tryed to send pictures throuh my computer for you but after 20 minutes the server sent me a note and said they could not send them sorry.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read