MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Introduce yourself and start planning
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Fri 07 May 2010, 06:24
Johannescnc
Just call me: John

Hannover, DE
Germany
Cut all ties and get out!
Old Fri 07 May 2010, 06:46
Hillbillie
Just call me: Larry

Paragould, AR
United States of America
Definately do not build at her location. This is something you will have to decide. Will your nursing job pay for the college? Some do.

Does you mom have a garage?

Go with your dream...... A wasted dream is one that is never tried...
Old Fri 07 May 2010, 07:58
cvriv.charles
Just call me: charles

New Jersey
United States of America
I think it would be dumb for me not to build it there. It wouldn't cost me anything more than parts and materials. If i build it I will do it there. Then move it out once complete.

The hospital I work at does pay for school to an extent. But I would be miserable going to school for nursing. But then again I'm miserable now. Going for n ursing would be a great backup plan. But I'm wondering if going for engineering would benefit me more?

My /mother would be no help when it comes to my starting a business. No garage nothing. Just a place to stay. I'm thinking ill take it a step at a time. Start with the building of the machine. Then start business and while taking some classes to get my feet wet. Then ill feel it out from there. That makes sense.

But what about starting a business like such? I mean everyone uses their machine to make money differently. I just am so cluess as to how all that works. I guess I don't need help with the starting the business. I'm just wondering about how much one can earn with a mm. I don't know how much to charge or anything.
Old Fri 07 May 2010, 07:58
jessyjames
Just call me: James

Reno, Nevada
United States of America
A tough situation indeed. If I were you I would make absolutely sure she wanted to leave you and that you did everything in your power, show humility, to make the needed changes that she wants from you if she looking for the right guy to marry. Of course make those changes that you know will both benefit her and yourself... No need to be someone's puppet as you two are supposed to be a team aka... " Pilot to Co-Pilot ".

If she is done with you for whatever reason then its best to cut your losses and find another location to reside in. Moms are never a bad idea really if that relationship is a good one... pssst.... Moms love knowing that they can help their sons out.. Is a nurturing thing. NO.. I dont live with my mom..

As far as the mechmate is concerned I think it would be wise and realistic not to build the Mechmate for a while. BUT... The stipulation though is not to spend the money that you have allocated for the build/machine. That needs to be set aside until you get things figured out. Schooling is a good idea for becoming a R.N. as they are needed... Not too much in my neck of the woods because the market is flooded with them. There used to be sign-on bonuses for them in the range of $8000.00. Not anymore.

Your mechmate once built will not make you a ton of money to start your business. I understand you can draw and design stuff which is good. If I were you I would design my product line and get it to where I would like for it to be and then when the time is right and your situation allows it, start your build and finish it.

You will not make the money you are hoping for at the beginning if your one who doesn't market yourself very well. You will pick up jobs here and there and that will " Slowly " chip away at the cost of the build.

I could go on and on but I think you have plenty of support with family and friends that can give you better advice than I can. Filter the advice that isnt good and keep an open mind. Your dream will happen for sure just not as quickly as you or I was hoping.

Best of luck,

James
Old Fri 07 May 2010, 10:10
Sergio-k
Just call me: Sergio #61

Athens
Greece
Charles

1st. Never quit your day job.
2nd. Finish your MM at her garage, and when you're done
carve her a sign and place it at her main entrance.

Something like this .....

My best of luck to you.
Old Fri 07 May 2010, 11:47
cvriv.charles

New Jersey
United States of America
Ha ha. I needed that. Well. I decided that I'm not goin g to build the mm right now. I'm going to put it off for 2 years. By then. I should be finishing nursing school. I will then have all the money I need to get where I want to be. I have worked at my hospital for 12 years now. When I am done with school I will have a job right away. I will just have to suck it up. Trying to go from a to b doesn't seem to be working out. So it looks like I'm going to have to go from a to a.5 and then to b. I thank you all for your support and time. I love this site and the mm. I will not give up on my dreams. Thanks.
Old Fri 07 May 2010, 12:21
cvriv.charles

New Jersey
United States of America
Oh I guess i will be selling my laser cut parts. The kit. Whats the going price for the kit? I paid 550 total including shipping. I'll sell my kit $450 plus shipping to anyone in the US. Should I post this in the lasered parts section?

Plus I want to sell all my tools and machines for cheap. because I cant take them with me. Wheres is a safe place to list what I want to sell on this forum? I have to get rid of everything. I figured I would start here first and then move onto craigslist I guess. Admins please let me know.
Old Fri 07 May 2010, 13:36
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Charles, there is the marketplace section, that is the best place to offer stuff for sale relating to the MM.

Charles' Laser Cut Parts for Sale
Old Wed 12 May 2010, 21:01
cvriv.charles

New Jersey
United States of America
Can someone tell me if the mounting plates for the geared steppers can be used with a belt reduction setup? Thanks in advance.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read