MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Miscellaneous hardware and software > Miscellaneous / General / Whatever / Catchall
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Today's Posts

Old Wed 22 July 2009, 18:47
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Kobus, it does get cold in your area. Just wish we only had single digit weather in the winter here. We usually have an extra 3 before your negative winter numbers. And we dont have some of your excellent scenery. I have to make a trip out there some day.
Do you guys actually BBQ meerkats? Do they make good pets?
Old Wed 22 July 2009, 22:47
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Hi heath, I was only joking about the BBQ. I like real red meat...big steaks... when I do my BRAAI (BBQ)
Your winters are tough, but the problem we have is that our houses are not build to keep the heat in / or out for that matter.
During my 5 years in Holland I was never cold as the house was well heated and insulated.
Over on this side of the water we go from -3 deg C to +17 in the day and luckily I have a small wood and coal burning stove in my house that helps to break the chill when the sun goes down.
When you come on your trip I can hook you up with accomodation in Sabie. That is about 45 minutes drive from Kruger Park and in a malaria free area.
See you soon
Old Wed 22 July 2009, 22:55
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Kobus only offers accom. to those unlikely to need it - we had to slum 4 nights down the road from there last month.
Old Wed 22 July 2009, 23:55
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
That's not true, you did not ask....
I know that place on the Hazyview road. My friend Tim Buckland has his Sabie Valley Coffee farm next to them. http://www.sabievalleycoffee.co.za/ His new coffee shop / roasterie is just down the road towards Hazyview. I hope you tried the local beer from Hops Hollow as I know Bohms Zeederberg stocks it.

I now had enough of people renting, not paying and still breaking my stuff. I will slowly re-equip the house and when I need time off I can hop in the car and enjoy my place. Last week I took a double bed, small fridge and small freezer down. So it's not 100% ready yet, but soon it will be.

This is the 10 x 8 meter veranda. I have 180 degree views of the mountains and see 2 waterfalls from here.

DSC00334.JPG
Old Thu 23 July 2009, 07:28
hennie
Just call me: Hennie #23

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Kobus sort it out then you can get my house in December and I will have a holiday in Sabie
Old Thu 23 July 2009, 07:38
Doug_Ford
Just call me: Doug #3

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
Holy cow Heath. I think we've fallen in with the South African jet set. If any of you guys ever visit me in Arkansas, you're going to be mighty disappointed.
Old Thu 23 July 2009, 09:02
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Hennie that sounds like a good idea...will keep it in mind
Don't worry Doug, it only LOOKS ok on the picture. It is a smallish 3 bedroom 2 bathroom house. The big STOEP or veranda I added on to give us the place to hang out and enjoy the views that we have. Just before I left for Marion Island I quickly added the roof using BIG gum poles and corrugated sheet. The plans called for a tiled roof to join the existing roof, but 3 years later it is still like that. The little trees on the stoep were all made by hand with a small jigsaw using oak and blackwood that I had at that time.
Old Thu 23 July 2009, 09:33
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Gerald how about visiting the States next year June ,July don`t think accommodation would be a problem a "braai " in every town
Old Thu 23 July 2009, 09:54
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Slow down Hennie, there are some local offers to take up first. Somebody (maybe a bit colour-blind) offered me a house in Sedgefield?
Old Thu 23 July 2009, 11:32
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Plett would be a better option
Old Thu 23 July 2009, 18:06
Doug_Ford

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
I hear you Kobus but "smallish" is a relative term like Gerald's idea of "slumming." Also, if I'm not mistaken, you have a pool too. In fact, I believe all of the members of the South African Mechmate Jet Set have their own pools.

Gerald knows he's always welcome at my house and the same goes with the rest of you SAers. And if the cultural center of the universe (Conway, Arkansas) doesn't happen to fit into your itinerary, let me know when y'all will be near by and I'll drive over and take you to dinner.
Old Thu 23 July 2009, 19:31
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Anyone coming to Canada? Better make it in the summer or you might leave solid.
Old Thu 23 July 2009, 22:52
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Doug,my pool have waves
Old Thu 23 July 2009, 22:55
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Maybe a good idea to visit Canada just before our winter...that way I will be CONDITIONED for our cold weather. This morning it was at -3 deg C.

This is my offer...if you have a BLUE MechMate with a serial number from this forum, my doors are open...both in Johannesburg and Sabie...Now your are being told Mr. G
Old Thu 23 July 2009, 23:05
Lex
Just call me: Johan #56

Empangeni KwaZuluNatal
South Africa
The local B&B in our little town have a Dungeon bar and resturant. Just the place to lock up some guys from overseas! I must say the picture in post#174 scare the sh.....t out of me!
Old Fri 24 July 2009, 08:37
Doug_Ford

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
Hennie,

My pools only hold one leg at a time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Buckets.jpg (19.2 KB, 200 views)
Old Fri 24 July 2009, 08:58
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Low maintenance!
Old Fri 24 July 2009, 12:41
Robert M
Just call me: Robert

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert M Send a message via Skype™ to Robert M
portable too !!
Old Fri 24 July 2009, 14:18
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
...and doubles as a porta-potty! ..or live well for fish! ....or beer cooler.
Old Fri 24 July 2009, 15:02
Doug_Ford

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
A porta potty then a beer cooler??? Remind me not to drink beer at Sean's house.
Old Fri 24 July 2009, 21:05
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Reminds me of the story . . . .

If you are are standing with one foot in a bucket of ice water and the other foot in a bucket of boiling water, then on average, you are comfortable.
Old Sat 25 July 2009, 00:34
Jan de Ruyter
Just call me: Jan

Pretoria
South Africa
Hi Gerald, my famous illustration when people talk about averages. Statistically speaking it is incorrect to talk about averages without mentioning the variance too.

The other one is the geriatric hunter and the geriatric (deaf) rabbit. First shot misses the rabbit one meter to the left, the hunter compensates and the second shot is one meter to the right. On average, the rabbit is now dead.

Lies, damn lies and averages.
Old Sat 25 July 2009, 01:54
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
LOL!

And now that rabbit is on our lunch menu for tomorrow . . . .
(divide those prices by 8 to get US$ equivalent)

The first signs of Spring are here, and tomorrow promises to be a fine day, 23oC [73oF] forecast, so we will take a morning drive to buy some wine in this area and then go on to the lunch.

Watch a couple of whales on the afternoon drive home and then an afternoon nap.

It is a tough life!
Old Sat 25 July 2009, 06:43
Jan de Ruyter
Just call me: Jan

Pretoria
South Africa
If your are a bunny hugger: don't read further!

And for those who still cannot afford South Africa's food, I go on regular rabbit (of the domesticated kind) shooting trips. Someone opened up their cage after the children got bored with their pets, now they are creating havoc because they hmmm, well breed like rabbits. One night I shot 23 and still they keep coming. Like an invasion.

Rats with long ears!
Old Sat 25 July 2009, 08:18
Doug_Ford

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
Gerald,

I'm glad my wife doesn't read this forum. If she clicked on the link you gave us, she would clean out the savings account so we could go to SA and stay there. That place is gorgeous and the gourmet restaurant prices were super reasonable. I'm really envious. Have a great trip.
Old Sun 26 July 2009, 02:43
Lex

Empangeni KwaZuluNatal
South Africa
Here is ours. I am busy cleaning the leaves out. The cover was damaged with the strong wind that we had last week.Not really for swimming, just a place to sit in with a beer in the right hand.

Swembad1.jpg
Old Mon 27 July 2009, 07:11
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Koi pond ?
Old Mon 27 July 2009, 08:48
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Nee man PADDA dam....of is dit waar dop en dam vandaan kom
Old Tue 28 July 2009, 01:24
Lex

Empangeni KwaZuluNatal
South Africa
Dit is 'n dop dam! Die Parras is nou weer 'n storie op sy eie! I use only green products so that I can't stuff up the taste of the Brandy! Sorry Kobus it does sound just a little bit like certaim areas in Brakpan.
Old Tue 28 July 2009, 02:42
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex View Post
. . . . with a beer in the right hand.
. . . .I was wondering what you had in your left hand, until

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex View Post
. . so that I can't stuff up the taste of the Brandy!
. . . . which answered my question!

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Today's Posts