MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Introduce yourself and start planning
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sun 20 January 2013, 16:01
nsfr1206
Just call me: David

Alabama
United States of America
Finally bought the plans

I have been a member here for some time but finally bought the plans today. I have a CaMaster Stinger I cnc router but really would like a larger one for full sheets of ply. I want at least a 4x8 cutting area plus an overhang on front and a clamping area so I can cut dovetails. I also want a rotary axis along the side. Anybody have any suggestions to get me started?
Old Sun 20 January 2013, 17:28
nsfr1206

Alabama
United States of America
I also plan on using the Black Box Vacuum Source from the SB forum.
Old Sun 20 January 2013, 19:00
Regnar
Just call me: Russell #69

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
Welcome to the forum. I think everyone will suggest to read, read and re-read. I dont think one machine is exactly the same. There is a builders log that has a description of all the machines with indexers that you might want to check out as well.

What part of Alabama are you in. Im donw in Mobile.
Old Sun 20 January 2013, 19:03
nsfr1206

Alabama
United States of America
I live in Sumter county close to Livingston.
Old Sun 20 January 2013, 19:03
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
U got the plan. start reading
Old Sun 20 January 2013, 19:05
Regnar

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
Here is the Builders Log. Looks like build 38 has one but I know a few others have built one. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...Xc&hl=en#gid=0
Old Sun 20 January 2013, 19:16
nsfr1206

Alabama
United States of America
I don't have them yet. I used the subscription for 100$ and I assume they will be emailed or a link sent??
Old Sun 20 January 2013, 20:59
Regnar

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
http://mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=376
Old Wed 23 January 2013, 07:49
nsfr1206

Alabama
United States of America
Ok I have a bom for my base. Have been reading plans and such and have a question. I notice there is an option for gear drive or direct. And I know somebody built with belt drive. Can someone give me a quick rundown on the pros and cons of each or point me to where it had been discussed already?
Old Wed 23 January 2013, 23:58
Regnar

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
David you will want to have a look at this thread. http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1114

Just to give you a heads up in each section there are a few "sticky" topics. You will want to read these. Although there is no step by step instructions these stickys will save you a lot of time and money. As you read them take a few notes and possibly come back to it later. Once you get the "table kitchen project" figured out you will be flying through the build and everything will start to make sense.

No one here will never help you out......just they expect you to do a little searching first.
Old Thu 24 January 2013, 05:43
nsfr1206

Alabama
United States of America
I have been looking around and reading. I will get it figured out. Thanks for the link.
Old Thu 24 January 2013, 06:26
nsfr1206

Alabama
United States of America
Regarding the control box, is there a reason I can't build my own out of wood? I can still use a metal backplate for mounting along with an aluminum heat sink and put a seal on the door.
Old Thu 24 January 2013, 06:36
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Welcome David, we believe in "Help those who help themselves".
Old Thu 24 January 2013, 06:37
bradm
Just call me: Brad #10

Somerville(MA)
United States of America
David, an electrical or other safety inspector wouldn't be very impressed by a wooden box, as one of the functions of the box is to contain any arcing or fire from a catastrophic fault in an electrical component - much the same as junction boxes used in buildings. If no inspector will ever see the unit, you could get by, although it would lower any potential resale value or possibility of future commercial use. Also, you'll need to plan for the greater insulating properties of the wood when you look at heat management.

All in all, probably not worth it. If you want to save a few dollars, EBay and/or your local scrapyards may be the ticket.
Old Thu 24 January 2013, 07:09
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Enclosing any electrical with a Earth bonded metal chassis/casing qualifies for Class 1 electrical safety.
Any metal casing will do, even if salvage an old oven for the purpose
Old Thu 24 January 2013, 08:10
darren salyer
Just call me: Darren #101

Wentzville mo
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenC View Post
We believe in "Help those who help themselves".
I know quoting is frowned upon but this deserves sticky status.

Not necessarily for the OP, but in general.

And, Welcome David.
I'm working on a black box vacuum source as well.
I'll probably post a pic or two in my thread later today.
Old Thu 24 January 2013, 10:13
nsfr1206

Alabama
United States of America
Yeah Darren I think I saw you on the sb forum. Lets see if I got this right. Belt and gear drive help out with backlash. My CaMaster doesn't have belt drive and it cuts smooth. So is it really necessary?
Old Thu 24 January 2013, 10:53
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Try this thread.

Please Help Me Understand - Belt Drive vs. Geared Stepper

and here

Backlash in the gearhead of the Oriental Motor PK296A2A-SG7.2
Old Thu 24 January 2013, 11:14
nsfr1206

Alabama
United States of America
Thanks for the links. I had seen the first but hadn't read the second. So belt drive is the best.
Old Thu 24 January 2013, 18:05
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Belt drive Vs Direct drive.

Its subjective. IF you can live with the direct drive cut quality, why would you need to splurge out that extra few hundred USD. On the other hand, if you can't live with mild chatter cut, you must spend that extra few hundred USD & the time to do it.
Old Fri 25 January 2013, 05:52
nsfr1206

Alabama
United States of America
Ok. I think belt drive it will be. Another question. Is it possible to put ATC on these? Does it take a special spindle or what? On my CaMaster I have what is called FTC or Fast Tool Change. What it does is automatically measure your bit length but I would really like a machine with a 10 holder ATC.
Old Fri 25 January 2013, 06:03
Regnar

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
If you have the money anything is possible.
Old Fri 25 January 2013, 06:28
darren salyer

Wentzville mo
United States of America
From what little research I did on true ATC, my machine would have gotten crazy expensive for what for me was an unknown venture.

Now, I could see it being economically feasible for me in a year or so, to add ATC if I continue to develop work for the machine.

So, if you have the work now to support the timesavings, or as Russell says, the pocketbook to finance it now, just because its cool, go for it.

If not, do a cheap router now, and after the machine is making regular bank deposits for you, and you NEED the time savings, add it.
Old Fri 25 January 2013, 06:29
nsfr1206

Alabama
United States of America
If I had the money maybe I would just buy a commercial one. But that takes a lot of money. I should drive down and check your machine out. I do occasionally make it to Mobile.
Old Fri 25 January 2013, 06:31
nsfr1206

Alabama
United States of America
Good plan Darren. I was wanting to put a spindle on here but maybe should hold off. I assume ATC takes a special spindle?
Old Fri 25 January 2013, 06:34
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
I did a bit of research and testing in my shop over a 1 year period on what type of tool change and how often I was doing it. The machine was either doing A LOT of cabinet work or foam sculpting. During the cabinet phase it really came down to two tools. A cutting/pocketing bit and a drill bit for 5mm drill pin spacing.

I did some quick calculations and found the cost for a second z-axis dedicated with an air drill motor to the 'other' tool would save me about 4 man hours a week. Thus, ROI of about 6 weeks on the new z-axis addition.

If you take a keen look at the parts your making on a MM, it might be feasible to just look at 2 dedicated z-axis.

MM isn't a HAAS with 20 bits chucked up, but it can be really useful.

Best of luck.
Sean
Old Fri 25 January 2013, 06:59
Regnar

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
I have to agree with Sean. A dual Z I think would be a better investment. You also have to figure in the amount of time setting up and maintaining the tool table for an ATC. Router bits do wear out so this isnt going to be a set and forget.

You could always hire someone "min wage" to change your bits, load your machine, clean your shop and make coffee in the morning for the price of a "Quality ATC"
Old Fri 25 January 2013, 08:02
darren salyer

Wentzville mo
United States of America
I'm thinking Dual-z with an air drill will be my next project after the Vacuum table.

Haven't wrapped my feeble brain around the whole thing yet.

Rerouting my dust collection seems to be a sticking point.

Seems off topic, but trying to show the evolution of the machine as it gets used for production.
Old Fri 25 January 2013, 09:17
nsfr1206

Alabama
United States of America
What about two routers or spindles? That would be cool. I use WinCNC on my machine now but I guess Mach will support 2 z's ok? Most of my projects now are never more than three different bits anyway.
Old Fri 25 January 2013, 09:29
darren salyer

Wentzville mo
United States of America
Pretty sure dual Zs with routers or spindles has been done already.

I'm finding there isn't a lot of bit changes as well.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read