MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sat 07 January 2012, 03:20
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Hi Martin,
You will make a seperate plate that mount on your spindle.
This plate will have 2 dowel pins and a 8mm threaded hole.
You then attach this plate (with the spindle on it) to the Z-Plate (the tools steel plate)
The dowels match into the holes on this plate and the whole assembly is held together with only the 1 x 8mm bolt......sort of a quick release system.
Hope it makes sense.
Old Sat 07 January 2012, 03:26
danilom
Just call me: Danilo #64

Novi Sad
Serbia
Dowel pins are for mounting a plate for which you attach the spindle/router mount
Its sort of quick attach, two pins and a large screw in middle.
Old Sat 07 January 2012, 03:47
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Something like this...

mounting plate.jpg
Old Sat 07 January 2012, 04:27
mrakoplas
Just call me: martin

praha
Czech Republic
great, thanks s lot for the quick response!
Old Sun 30 September 2012, 12:59
mrakoplas

praha
Czech Republic
First cutting test

Hi. I finally found some time during this summer to finish the machine to its cutting state. Finally its ready to make some chips! The cutting area is 1700 x 2900. The control system is LinuxCNC. I used Rick's gearbox to build 3:1 belt reductions. I had to slightly file it to fit it on the Z axis and it can be attached only to the first slot on top of the Y-car. Otherwise it works perfectly. I am using spindle Teknomotor 2.2KW with separated ventilator. However, there is still some work waiting for me, such as the e-stop wiring, controlling VFD via Linux, and so on. I will post more images of the machine and products done with it soon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mechmate cutting.jpg (223.6 KB, 540 views)
Old Sun 30 September 2012, 14:50
HomeMadeCnc
Just call me: Tim

Calgary, Alberta
Canada
Congratz! Now the fun begins!

Cheers
Tim
Old Sun 30 September 2012, 20:35
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Looking good, now you need some decals to be in line for the next serial number.
Old Sun 30 September 2012, 21:41
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Sweet - back to back yellow MechMates
Old Sun 30 September 2012, 23:04
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
And the red beltbox is neat too. Nice job.
Old Mon 01 October 2012, 06:34
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Well done...welcome to production land!
Old Mon 01 October 2012, 07:22
rischoof
Just call me: Rik #92

Goirle
Netherlands
Martin,
Nice yellow machine, you will not hit yourself when you walk around in the dark in you workshop. These are the first pictures I see from the gearbox. and they look nice in Red. 2 questions,
1) could the laser cutter made the hole for the bearing with the correct tolerance?
2) This one is not a question but a request, is it possible for you (sooner or later) to update the gearbox design for the original z axis at the gear box topic on the forum. then the story is complete.
Old Sun 07 October 2012, 04:30
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Look locally, they are the simplest of bearings. Almost the same size as a kids roller blade center. I purchased mine from vxb in california, but the part linked to a skate as a replacement part number.
Old Mon 08 October 2012, 11:50
mrakoplas

praha
Czech Republic
Thanks for the nice comments.

Rik: The gearbox plans worked great, the bearings fit in just perfectly. I used your design also for the z axis. However, it fits only when you put the z axis in the first slot of the Y car, as you can see on this picture. If I find later that I need to move it close to the center, I will redesign it and post the plans here, but I think that the air hose should fit in still fine.

I still plan to work out more the LinuxCNC, pragram to it spindle control and so on, and than post the files here.

Also, I want to make now a dust shoe. I like the one from Ross aka Surfcnc, but I did not see anywhere that plans to download, but I can probably trace his jpg image in autocad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P9270852.JPG (185.3 KB, 375 views)
Old Mon 08 October 2012, 22:59
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
I reckon you don't need the gear reduction on the Z-axis. Consider how often it move during cutting... Direct drive should have more than enough precision for plasma works.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read