MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > After Building the Beast - Operating , Troubleshooting and Maintenance > Cutting various materials - bit selection, feeds, speeds
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Fri 01 December 2006, 06:23
fabrica
Just call me:

Cutting bits for routers / spindles

Can someone help me to find the downloadable price list for Onsrud products.
Old Fri 01 December 2006, 07:37
Bob Cole
Just call me:

Fabrica:
I believe that you need to deal with a retailer for pricing on Unsrud. They probably don't publish a general price list do to the constant changes in machine part costs. Do you have a local source in your area?

BTW: Your photos on your build are GREAT! thanks for keeping us up on your progress.

Regards, Bob C.
Old Fri 01 December 2006, 10:50
fabrica
Just call me:

Bob, Thanks For your compliments. I live outside U.S.A. I saw their prices being listed at some site. I Have forgoten as to where I saw it.
Old Fri 01 December 2006, 10:54
Greg Waggy
Just call me:

Fabrica ; Have seen this place for your Onsrud products?

Name:
Address: LMT FETTE INDIA-FID
OLD NO 14 NEW NO 29
II MAIN RD
GANDHINAGAR ADYAR
CHENNAI, TAMIL NADU
INDIA
Phone:
Fax:
Email:
(+91) 44 244 05136
(+91) 44 244 05205
sales@lmtfetteindia.com
Old Fri 01 December 2006, 19:33
fabrica
Just call me:

No Greg, You have got me wrong. I need to buy it from U.S.A. I am talking about online pricing.
Old Fri 01 December 2006, 23:08
Greg Waggy
Just call me:

I thought you were in India and needed a source there. Try here: https://www.onsrud.com/xlink/oclkSearchProdCrit
Old Sat 02 December 2006, 00:35
fabrica
Just call me:

Thanks Greg, I will try the link. By reading a thread in another forum I learnt that for Onsrud prices are around 50% more in Europe when compared to U.S.A. You could then imagine the markup the dealers would keep in the asian region. Due to this Is am trying to get down at least the basic cutter range from U.S.A itself.
Old Sat 02 December 2006, 06:08
Manjeet Singh
Just call me:

Hi All,

Can any one help me in buying encoders from USDIGITAL. I enquired with the company but they do not accept payment by paypal. More over I dont have acount with Fedex or DHL. I want some one get the encoders from USDIGITAL for me and send the same to me via US Post. I will pay through paypal. This is very urgent as I am going to start building "The Beast MechMate" I have all sources to complete this within one month time.

Manjeet
Old Sat 02 December 2006, 07:05
fabrica
Just call me:

Manjeet, You could make payment through Bank to Bank telegraphic transfer (T/T) or through a credit card payment.
Old Sat 02 December 2006, 07:08
fabrica
Just call me:

If Onsrud pricing is not available online. What is the next best Brand that I couold think of which has online pricing.
Old Sat 02 December 2006, 09:18
Greg Waggy
Just call me:

https://www.onsrud.com/xlink/oclkSearchProdCrit I lets you put in the information for the desired router bit and then comes back with suggestions and prices.
Old Sat 02 December 2006, 21:15
fabrica
Just call me:

Yes It's interesting. Greg, I intend to try MDF cabinet making singn work as the basi areas which I would try to concentrate initially.

Could you suggest to mea few router bits That I would require initially.
Old Sun 03 December 2006, 09:01
Gerald_D
Just call me:

Fabrica, for cutting MDF, a lot of us use the standard metal-cutting milling cutters that you are using for your rails. They must be of solid carbide though - do not waste your time with HSS (High Speed Steel) cutters. Only solid carbide. Do not cut metal with them first, because then they are too blunt for wood. From new, use only with wood.
Old Sun 03 December 2006, 21:57
fabrica
Just call me:

What is this big talk about upcuts downcuts, round edges and straight cuts
Old Tue 05 December 2006, 20:10
fabrica
Just call me:

Greg, How does Whiteside bits compare in quality and price to Onsrud bits (Solid Carbide).

Also how to get a price list of Whiteside products.
Old Thu 25 January 2007, 06:46
fabrica
Just call me:

I could remember you mentioning in a earlier thread that you use normal end mills for wood cutting. Are they HSS, Carbide tipped or carbide.
Old Thu 25 January 2007, 16:33
Gerald_D
Just call me:

A quick answer to your question; solid carbide only.

Carbide-tipped uses a carbide that can be "welded", this is a different (softer) grade of carbide to that used for solid carbide tools.
Old Fri 26 January 2007, 07:45
fabrica
Just call me:

Gerald, Can I cut letters from brass plates having thickness of 1.2 mm. If so what would be the best cutting tool to use. Can I also engrave on SS.
Old Fri 26 January 2007, 07:57
Gerald_D
Just call me:

We have never (intentionally) cut anything other than wood or plastic. (Sometimes we cut into the cast iron clamps by mistake). I don't have the experience to answer your question. But there will be no harm in you doing some experimenting and becoming the expert on this subject.
Old Sun 22 April 2007, 10:59
Sean Dorrington
Just call me:

Does anyone resell their blunt cutters?

I have about 400 blunt cutters that are still good enough to cut metal. Valued at $8000 new!!
Old Tue 18 September 2007, 03:34
Doug_Ford
Just call me: Doug #3

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
Sean,

When I was taking machining classes at night at the local vocational-technical college, we had lots of stuff that was donated by local factories. I'm assuming the factories took a tax deduction. I don't know how the tax system in South Africa works but here in the states, it could make it worth considering. Certainly better than throwing them away.
Old Tue 18 September 2007, 10:19
CAM Craft
Just call me: Sean D

Cape Town
South Africa
Yeah i want to approach the technicons sometime. I have tried to resharpen them, sell it resellers of second hand cutters and even qot quotes for scrap metal. the best price i was offered was $10 for the lot. Crazy!!!
Old Thu 27 September 2007, 14:48
Hugo Carradini
Just call me: Hugo

Pto. Ordaz
Venezuela
Cutters

Gerald ¿What is the name for that big round bit? I bet you can do very interesting carves.
Old Thu 27 September 2007, 23:05
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Hugo, the name for that bit could be anything . . . . . bullnose, ballnose, ball cutter, spherical tip, bowl cutter, etc., etc. . . . . and in your country will be some completely different name again.... Search some catalogues from suppliers near to you. Must warn you that you need a lot of power to drive it.

Welcome Russel! To learn the welding side, it would be better if you started from the static table at the bottom and work your way upwards till you do the z-slide last. The welds of the static table are low-stressed and leave lots of room for (trial and) error. Not that the Z-slide is particularly tricky, but it is right in your face and the mistakes will be seen for a long time!

Guys, I think the cut speeds in the video were maybe 50mm/s [120 ipm]. The folk with geared motors are saying they are sometimes running 5 times faster! (We sometimes go 3 times faster.) What you see in the video should be easy to achieve with any cheap direct-driven stepper motor.......no belts, gearboxes or even backlash
Old Fri 28 September 2007, 07:29
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Gerald,

Do you think a 3.5 hp router would drive that ball nose bit ok?
Old Fri 28 September 2007, 08:38
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
When the bit is sharp, it is easy to drive - but it doesn't stay sharp long . . . . .
Old Fri 28 September 2007, 11:42
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Gerald,

How often do you need to change or sharpen your cutters? In cutting time that is? Are you able to sharpen them at all? Just curious, I know I saw Seans post about all the scrap cutters he had lying around. I know mdf is really hard on cutters. Hope this isnt off topic.
Old Fri 28 September 2007, 12:39
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
I don't think that Sean is having any cutters re-sharpened. The last time we tested local sharpening companies, the results were poor.

Some MDF is hard on cutters - those old glue-filled types. Fortunately some better grades are available, and they are better on your lungs too. The Trupan product from Chile is good, it comes in different densities.
Old Fri 28 September 2007, 15:20
Doug_Ford
Just call me: Doug #3

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
Gerald,

How does Sean know when to change the bits? Does he track the number of meters cut, does he go by time (change every day), or does he wait until the cutter is knocking chunks out of the MDF? I'm not quite ready to mess with the software but I was wondering if Mach 3 tracked it. Do you know off hand?
Old Fri 28 September 2007, 21:45
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Nothing in time or software - purely based on appearance of finished cut, sound and/or finger tip on cutting edge.

On big repetitive jobs the operators may to told to change bits after x boards.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read