MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Introduce yourself and start planning
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sun 23 January 2011, 10:57
pblackburn
Just call me: Pete #98

South-Central Pennsylvania
United States of America
Greetings

Good day everyone,

I stumbled into this by mistake and it was a great mistake to make. It all started when my wife stepped on a lathe chip that I accidentally brought home from work. She wanted to know what it was and I showed her a video on youtube of a lathe turning. On the side recommendations, it had listed DIYrouter. This however was the mdf versions that are popular for smaller designs. This intrigued me, because I wanted a cnc router to help me finish my woodwork in my home I am building but even at 3000 the limitations on the size of the material that was workable was to say the least disappointing.

Working in industry as an electro-mechanical technician, I have been working with more machines similar to the MM than I have time to type. I eventually found this site in December. It was nice to see a set of plans that was very flexible and very well defined. The only disappointment I have seen was the plans where not available in a cad format (would save a lot of time in the design and layout phase prior to starting the build). The build I have laid out is using the steel design, however it will be bolt together frame with precision pin location (this will allow me to be able to relocate the machine at a later time as my new building is built). This is not unlike similar cnc lasers and plasma cutter I am worked with before. I have made all the machinable parts now, purchased all the laser cut parts, and now am looking at purchasing the steel for the frame. I have the standard design with the Oriental motors and have the layout for the electrical pretty much decided on. I am lucky enough to have vast experience with wiring, programming, drafting, machining, welding, design, assembly and installations because of my schooling and career. I would say the most difficult thing so far is the cost of the project which I figure to be around 5k completed. Base model

There are still things I have not decided yet, the direction as far as software. Vectric looks very promising, as I would like to venturing more toward the 3d carving direction. Automatic tool changer is an option I would very much like to implement but I need much more time to plan that. 4th axis is the last option I am thinking about. But first I have to finish the base model and the is being done as money becomes available. My goal is by mid summer.

This site is a great source of information and this proves my point that there is nothing that can not be done when like minds are moving toward a singular point with an open mind, for a closed mind will never open to develop its full potential.

Pete, Pennsylvania
Old Sun 23 January 2011, 14:20
AuS MaDDoG
Just call me: Tony #71

Brisbane
Australia
Welcome Pete,

and good luck with your build!!

Cheers
Tony.
Old Sun 23 January 2011, 20:32
riesvantwisk
Just call me: Ries #46

Quito
Ecuador
Send a message via MSN to riesvantwisk Send a message via Skype™ to riesvantwisk
Pete,

welcome to the site!
Out of curiosity, how does it help to get the files in CAD? The files in PDF are great for all the materials, and only the laser/plasma cut parts are needed in CAD, and I believe they are supplied as such.

So, I am just curious how the CAD drawings of tables, gantry etc would help better as CAD instead of PDF.

Ries
Old Sun 23 January 2011, 21:18
tnarch
Just call me: Tuan

Milwaukee WI
United States of America
welcome pete
Old Sun 23 January 2011, 22:42
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Welcome Pete!
Old Sun 30 January 2011, 14:19
pblackburn
Just call me: Pete #98

South-Central Pennsylvania
United States of America
Hi Ries #46,

The files would save a lot of redrawing needed for the layout. I have redrawn it now in 3d to better help with the changes that I needed to make. You are right that for the most part the pdf is fine. The laser cut files would be nice if they were supplied in dxf, dwg and prt (as they were not at the time I joined and was told that the dxf of the plans was not available) because the company here that I used to work for is a laser cutting facility. Part of the costing is for drawing the part and blank length determination. It definitely would have helped with creating the blank length especially if the bend radius was specified. If I could have supplied the vendor with this information it would have saved me money. I would say that the rest in cad format, was just to save time in drawing up the assembly plans. At the time I joined mechmate forum, the plans were free whereas now they are not, so I guess this is somewhat of a mute point and/or post on my part.

Thanks for the question and I hope this answers your question
Old Sun 30 January 2011, 16:23
riesvantwisk
Just call me: Ries #46

Quito
Ecuador
Send a message via MSN to riesvantwisk Send a message via Skype™ to riesvantwisk
Pete,

now I understand where you come from, I hope you kept a copy of the plans (dxf+pdf) at the time you joined the forum...

Ries

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read