MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Electrical & Electronic > 701. Motor Drives
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 09 June 2008, 20:59
Richards
Just call me: Mike

South Jordan, UT
United States of America
The PK296A1A-SG7.2 motor wired half-coil needs a power supply voltage around 45VDC for optimum performance. I don't have data sheets on the Compumotors.

Pins 3,5,7 should flicker on/off with every step pulse. Pins 2,4,6 should either be steady on or steady off, depending on the direction signal.

Things to check:

1. PMDX-122 JP1 connector must be in the bottom position with G203v stepper drivers.

2. Mach3 setup configuration - verify the pins and the polarity of the step and direction signals.

3. Wiring - verify that you have continuity between the PMDX-122 and the G203v stepper drivers.

4. Current limiting resistor - verify that you have the correct value resistor (+/- 10%) for the motor that your using.

5. Mach3 - verify that the feed rate, ramping are set properly.

I have run stepper motors at less than 50% of the optimal voltage with excellent speed, so I don't think your power supply is the main problem. It's hard to know what voltage is actually going to a stepper motor without using an oscilloscope. A digital meter responds too slowly to get accurate readings.

If you still have problems after re-checking everything, please post your Mach3 pin-outs and speed settings so that we can cross-check things with you.
Old Mon 09 June 2008, 21:12
Greg J
Just call me: Greg #13

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
I would also check

Mach 3 motor tuning configuration - Check the velocity on all motors.
Old Tue 10 June 2008, 06:04
edrowell
Just call me: Evan

Matthews, NC
United States of America
Send a message via AIM to edrowell
1. PMDX-122 JP1 connector must be in the bottom position with G203v stepper drivers.
JP1, JP2, JP3 are all in the bottom position; JP4, LP5, JP6 are all in the top position. "Outputs Enabled" is lit, and "pin17" is lit. Direction led is lit when moving in one direction and off when moving in the opposite direction

2. Mach3 setup configuration - verify the pins and the polarity of the step and direction signals.
Step/Dir pins are all wired correctly (checked 3 times)
X Axis: Enabled, StepPin#3, DirPin#2 DirLowActive Disabled (red X mark), Step LowActive Disabled (red X mark)
Y Axis: Enabled, StepPin#5, DirPin#4 DirLowActive Disabled (red X mark), Step LowActive Disabled (red X mark)
Z Axis: Enabled, StepPin#7, DirPin#6 DirLowActive Disabled (red X mark), Step LowActive Disabled (red X mark)

3. Wiring - verify that you have continuity between the PMDX-122 and the G203v stepper drivers.
I have checked continuity and all is well here

4. Current limiting resistor - verify that you have the correct value resistor (+/- 10%) for the motor that your using.
Resistors are correct, PK296 motor (unipolar) is 33k, the compumotors (2.2A/phase) are 22k

5. Mach3 - verify that the feed rate, ramping are set properly.
The compumotor motors are driving direct ballscrew, so disregarding them for now, and focusing on the X Axis with the PK296:
I have 20/20 pinion and I'm working in Inches:
1 revolution of the motor gearbox output shaft makes 3.1416" of travel .
or 1 x pi = 3.1416"
2000 pulses from computer will turn the motor one turn. Motor must turn 7.2times for one revolution of gearbox output shaft.
7.2 gearbox would make 14,400 pulses for one turn of the output shaft.

divide the pulses from computer by inch travel:

14400/3.1416= 4583.66 Steps/Per

With these settings, I'm only able to get about 21 IPM's of Velocity while tuning in Mach3 before skipping occurs.
Old Tue 10 June 2008, 06:31
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Have you verified the current limit resistors with an ohm-meter - I have made mistakes with colour bands before.
Old Tue 10 June 2008, 06:47
edrowell

Matthews, NC
United States of America
DOH! I checked again and I grabbed the 3300 and 2200 ohm resistors instead of the 33000 and 22000 ohm resistors. That did it for the motor velocity issue as they are getting up to speed nicely now. But I still do not see the LED's on the Step pins of the pmdx-122 flickering.
Old Tue 10 June 2008, 07:06
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Evan, welcome to the club of the wrong resistors!

You won't see a kilohertz flicker - realise that you don't even see a 60Hz flicker from a lightbulb. Remember, us club-members don't have the best of eyes.
Old Tue 10 June 2008, 07:12
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Gerald,
If you use metal film resistors, then some type have numbers on them for easier identification. Also more stable than other resistor types.
Old Tue 10 June 2008, 07:57
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
I would still check them with an ohm-meter for this application
Old Tue 10 June 2008, 08:22
edrowell

Matthews, NC
United States of America
Thanks Gerald. Next time I check with an ohmmeter I'll try and actually read the display. Thanks for the quick replies.

Evan
Old Mon 28 July 2008, 08:11
bob
Just call me: Frank

us
US Minor Outlying Islands
Gerald,

Today I mounted Geckos (G203V) on Alu plate, two of them (pin1) does not show continity with Alu plate or back plate, it means there me be ground voltage difference with another two which are showing continity.
I even scratched back plate and checked continity with pin 1 but no continuity.
I am providing seperate power for each Gecko and shilding of each power cable is grounded to Alu plate.
Should I go with it or if there is any issue?
Old Mon 28 July 2008, 09:17
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Bob, do not worry if there is continuity between the Gecko's case and the alu plate. The power ground for the gecko runs from pin 1 straight to your power supply negative pole, and from that negative pole there should be a wire to the alu plate.

The gecko case is hard anodised, which makes a pretty good insulator, except where your mounting screws might manage to break the insulation/anodising. Gecko needs the insulating property on the inside of the base plate, because there they have some semiconductor devices pressed against the plate as a heatsing.

The power wires feeding pins 1 and 2 need not be shielded. They are commonly unshielded.
Old Mon 28 July 2008, 09:29
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
You can read more about the Gecko grounding here:
http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/grou.../message/10408

and here:
http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/grou.../message/12440
Old Mon 28 July 2008, 11:27
bob

us
Oops, I mean to say two drives (pin 1) show continuity with Alu plate but other two does not show continuity. That continuity comes through back plate of Gecko. Should I also provide path for ground via back plate to Alu plate?

Alternatively should I screw power -ve to Alu plate then star connect to Gecko's pin 1 ? (Like attatched file - borrowd from unknown cnczone link)

As in first link at #10413 para 1, Mariss said
Quote:
This current must be shorted back to ground, otherwise the drive
mounting plate would radiate a tremendous amount of RFI. This RFI
would even interfere with the operation of the drive because the drive
board is coplanar with the mounting plate.
Sorry for my mistake, my Gecko power cables are unshilded, I unthoughfully recalled step/dir/common cable as shilded power cable while posting.

Thanks for the links. And hope that I am not causing any confusion here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Earth and Ground together.JPG (29.6 KB, 754 views)
Old Mon 28 July 2008, 11:58
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
I have caused confusion by giving those links!

This picture should answer your questions. +ve wire is all red, -ve wire has black stripe on red. Capacitor -ve is the star point for all the wires going to all the pin 1's. Capacitor -ve also connected to alu plate:

After connecting like this you can measure Gecko pin 1 to alu plate - it will be a good connection. You need do nothing more to ground the geckos.
Old Mon 28 July 2008, 18:47
bob

us
Thanks Gerald,
Everything about grounding is crystal clear right now.
I should have checked pics more thoroughly.
Old Mon 28 July 2008, 23:37
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
No problem Frank.

You can also omit the resistor across the capacitor. A single gecko across the capacitor does a good enough job of draining the capacitor when you switch off. Four geckos across the capacitor does an extremely good job of draining the capacitor. In this circuit, the resistor is a waste of time and space.
Old Mon 28 July 2008, 23:42
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Frank, your fan wiring is unusual, unless you have a non-standard fan that runs off the transformer's secondary voltage.

Also, there is a serious error in my photo above. The ground wire from the PMDX to the alu plate should not be there. The PMDX-122 must NOT be grounded inside the control box. The reason is that the parallel cable from the PC grounds the PMDX to the PC's ground.
Old Tue 29 July 2008, 03:46
Richards
Just call me: Mike

South Jordan, UT
United States of America
Gerald,

I ground my computer's case to the common ground on the frame of my CNC. The power supply inside the computer is grounded to the case via the power supply's mounting screws, so all things (computer, control box and CNC router) have a common ground point.

As you mentioned, because the PMDX-122 is grounded via the computer's parallel port, a secondary ground wire is not needed and may actually cause a ground loop.
Old Tue 29 July 2008, 04:38
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Mike, is your computer case also grounded to your computer's incoming mains power? For us that would be normal (that our computer cases are "mains" grounded), and that is why I wouldn't connect the computer case to the CNC control box case.
Old Tue 29 July 2008, 05:01
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
I am taking the supply to my computer through the control box (off the main isolator) so it would share the same ground/earth as the control panel, much like Richard above, anybody see any problem with that?
Old Tue 29 July 2008, 06:20
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
We had ours like that for a while, then an inteference problem crept in. Moving it to completely different supply breaker improved the interference issue. We resolved the interfence by taking our mains E-stop circuit out of the screened cable that was doing all the other signals. But we havn't moved the PC supply back to the control box isolator. I am fairly sure that the PC running from the control box isolator would be fine.
Old Tue 29 July 2008, 07:15
bob

us
I have dirct power line fan.
My PMDX is completely isolated from grounding. Even parallel cable does not have shielding (I wonder if it should be there). Signal cable shieldings bolted to Alu Plate.
Old Tue 29 July 2008, 07:41
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
I have dirct power line fan.
Then your left diagram above is incorrect.
Old Tue 29 July 2008, 07:51
bob

us
Oops again.
This is borrowed photo for reference. See #103.
Old Sat 21 February 2009, 11:05
mrloeng
Just call me: Svein

Trondheim
Norway
Can someone tell me what function a Gecko GRex-100 Controller have in a simple way, and what is the advantage of having this?
Old Sat 21 February 2009, 11:44
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
It is a USB supported 6 axis controller that is at end of cycle for production and will no longer be supported. It was addressable and could be networked, but for the MM use, no advantage.
Old Sat 21 February 2009, 12:21
mrloeng
Just call me: Svein

Trondheim
Norway
Ok!
Thanks
Old Tue 20 October 2009, 14:30
Travish
Just call me: Travis #75

Wa
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Richards View Post
Reza,

The Gecko G203 manual says:

The G203V will accommodate motor winding currents from 0 to 7A. Use the following equation to calculate the value, (in kilo-Ohms) of the current set resistor: R (in kilo-ohms) = 47 * I / (7 ? I)

So a 12k resistor would be used with a motor rated at about 1.5-amps

Here are some other values:
1 amp = 8k
2 amp = 19k
3 amp = 35k
4 amp = 63k
5 amp = 118k
6 amp = 282k

(Remember that you can use the closest standard 1/4-Watt resistor value, i.e. 3-amp motor would use a 33k 1/4-watt resistor.)
Mike, I'm starring at the gecko manual here and not sure what there looking for for the Resistor equation. I'm using PK296A2A-SG7.2 motors, so my amps per phase are 2.1 amps wired Bipolar?

What is "I" stand for and what is "?" in the equation.

R (in kilo-ohms) = 47 * I / (7 ? I) [/i]

I'm just trying to figure out this simple equation...I must be missing something simple here.

Thanks.
Old Tue 20 October 2009, 18:44
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Travis, I is the current in amps. The equation as stated had an error.
From the gecko manual
R (in kilo-ohms) = 47 * I / (7 – I)
Old Tue 20 October 2009, 23:06
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
So, for 2.1 amps:

47 times 2.1, divided by, 7 minus 2.1

= 98.7 divided by 4.9

= 20 kiloOhm

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read