MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sun 22 June 2014, 20:05
Tom Ayres
Just call me: Tom #117

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
I'll see if I can gather up a pic or two.
Old Sun 22 June 2014, 21:23
pblackburn
Just call me: Pete #98

South-Central Pennsylvania
United States of America
Good hearing from you Tom all the same.
Old Fri 25 July 2014, 08:02
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Having a couple of problems maybe someone could point me in the right direction. 1st, machine shuts down, just stops everything after 2/3 of the last pass (not always at the same point). 2nd I'm losing some distance or steps after each rough pass. Its returning just short of the previous pass, by the third pass about 0.08-0.10 inches. Thanks for any input, i'm at a lose right now, See pics
[IMG][/IMG]

While i'm at it here's other stuff done with the subs (all I got)
Beacon table, I cut out the solid surface w/MM

Last edited by Tom Ayres; Fri 25 July 2014 at 08:11..
Old Fri 25 July 2014, 08:11
pblackburn

United States of America
Need a little more info. Does it state anything on the status bar? Is the driver over heating? Is your kernel speed correct? Is your acceleration to quick?
Old Fri 25 July 2014, 08:22
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Sorry, Pete. It did say something, can't remember the exact words, something like...can't remember. Drivers and all control box items around 85 degrees the only warm stepper is the y kernal speed is fast, 25k is running at 27k+, I'm over driving by 25% normal at 100ipm.
Old Fri 25 July 2014, 08:26
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Whatever it said, I tabbed to look at the in/output display and nothing was indicated.
Old Fri 25 July 2014, 08:35
pblackburn

United States of America
You should be able to look at history to find out what it was
Old Fri 25 July 2014, 08:40
pblackburn

United States of America
The kernel speed has to work out to your calculated worksheet requirements. If your tuning is off you can cause miss steps
Old Fri 25 July 2014, 09:12
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Where do I find the history? you have me confused with the kernel speed calculation, I must have missed something... I wasn't here for class that day...
Old Fri 25 July 2014, 09:16
danilom
Just call me: Danilo #64

Novi Sad
Serbia
if kernel speed is 25khz you cant tune motors to velocity greater than it can achieve. Did not try to do a feedrate move at a rapid rate and override it it should max out at rapid but anything is possible.

You must be having electrical noise on inputs, increase Debounce value in Config ->General Config ... top right corner Debounce Interval, put something like 500 or more, 200 is the minimum

Reason you don't see any input active is that the spike activates it and disappears in a blink of an eye no matter if you dont have any input wired in, noise will activate estop or similar signals.

p.s. if you have Estop wired as an input, go in ports & pins, inputs and by estop signal check Emulated, it should not activate now
Old Fri 25 July 2014, 09:38
ger21
Just call me: Ger

Detroit, MI
United States of America
What Danilo said.

You might want to try decreasing the acceleration by 25% and see if that fixes the missed step issue.
Old Fri 25 July 2014, 09:42
pblackburn

United States of America
Every screen set is a little different. Either clickon the status box or there will be a button
Old Fri 25 July 2014, 09:49
ger21

Detroit, MI
United States of America
If you're using my screenset (2010), there is no history button). But you might be able to load the default screen and click the history button there. Provided you haven't shut down Mach3 first.
Old Fri 25 July 2014, 10:18
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
I had my Debounce at 300 but I've moved it to 500 and I'll try it there. I also changed the estop to emulate, let's see what happens. I have 2010 screenset and I had already closed out Mach so no luck there until it happens again, hopefully I won't have to.

One last issue I'm asking help with. My spindle speed is incorrect, it was correct then changed when I calibrated it later I found out that's the last thing you want to do. Mach forum suggested deleting the linearity.dat file as calibration does not really work, but that didn't work as it keeps creating a new one. Anyone have experience with this?
Old Fri 25 July 2014, 13:05
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
I get it, I'll figure it out...
Old Fri 25 July 2014, 13:21
ger21

Detroit, MI
United States of America
Linearity.dat always exists, but as long as you don't calibrate again after deleting it, it shouldn't affect your speed.

The diffeence between 300 and 500 debounce is very small. I'd try 2000-3000 and see if it helps.
Old Fri 25 July 2014, 15:38
timberlinemd
Just call me: Steve #66

Arizona
United States of America
Tom,
Your using the infamous 'Huanyang' VFD. Lots of 'noise' with that. I haven't hooked mine up yet, but the type of problems your having, I would be looking at that also.
Steve
Old Fri 25 July 2014, 16:50
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Gerry, I'll try debouncing higher and see what happens. You're right Steve, you'd think with all the precautions (individually shielded cable, ferrites, etc) would keep it under wraps.
Old Sat 26 July 2014, 11:12
pblackburn

United States of America
I knew someone posted this about debounce on my thread but it took me until now to find it. I hope this helps some.

http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showt...&postcount=390

Also History is a great tool in troubleshooting. It is the first thing a maintenance person looks at to try to combine all parts of a stated problem together (what the operator tells you and what the machine tells you) to lock down the cause of a given problem. Most history is vague but it does give you some insight of when the problem originally started to come about. Operators, well good ones, are great at what they do but they are just like everyone else. They become narrow visioned and become zoned in on one thing. So it is like trying to pick the important pieces out of a timeline to find the hidden problem and most times it is in the opposite direction of the direction that they are telling you to look. So you have to know your machine and have the ability to step back from your knowledge of it and look at it anew every time. This will aid you in finding the problem and repairing the machine fast and alleviate frustration.
Old Sat 26 July 2014, 11:18
pblackburn

United States of America
As Steve stated, noise is always present. Some name brand VFD manufacturers will go to great length to limit the amount their unit puts out but it cannot be eliminated. Even using a line reactor and EMI filter you can still bleed noise. You are only trying to manage it. The noisier the unit the more management you require. But eventually it will break free. Time tests all things.
Old Sat 26 July 2014, 19:14
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Well today I ran the same file and the repeat of what looked to be missed steps happened again. Aftersetting the debounce to 1000, it failed again only longer to happen. I tool pathed the same file again just a tiny bit different and ran the file with the debounce set to 2000 and it ran all the way through perfectly (I think the file was corrupted or something) I did find I need a stronger spring on the z plates, just not firm enough to keep the z height perfect, had a couple of deeper lines. Thanks all for the assistance, its greatly appreciated. Let me know if I can help with anything.
Old Sat 26 July 2014, 19:53
pblackburn

United States of America
Tom, I don't think it was asked but is this problem with every program or only one program? I have output a toolpath from Aspire before and the machine cutting would screw up. It would always render with the same output with that code. I went back and modified the cut options for the toolpath and out again to the machine and it would cut fine. What was different I don't know but Mach did like the one program (the vectors were not changed, only depth). That is why I ask, is this with every program or just this one?
Old Sun 27 July 2014, 04:53
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
It was Aspire and I made similar modifications like you and it was corrected just the same. I'd say its the program. I think we stumbled onto something. Now that I know this is a potential problem I can save some of what hair I have left. Ha Ha.

Last edited by Tom Ayres; Sun 27 July 2014 at 04:55.. Reason: Spelling
Old Thu 28 August 2014, 03:36
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Back from a much needed vacation (or holiday to some) to recharge the batteries and now need to do some router work to catch up. Never fails, you have to do an extra week of work before your vacation and three extra afterward. Really, vacations are no vacation.

Other than a few items for the campers, I've got to make a Fender Telecaster body for a customer and couple more of those sub speakers (pita).

I need to convert an STL file to DXF, anyone have a recommended no-nonsense file converter?
Old Thu 28 August 2014, 05:24
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
I've used FreeCAD successfully. Open the STL file in FreeCAD and save as a DXF file. You can view the "object" while in FreeCAD to be sure the software has the correct representation of the object.
Old Thu 28 August 2014, 05:45
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
I've got autocad, wonder if it opens it ok, never tried
Old Thu 28 August 2014, 08:05
ger21

Detroit, MI
United States of America
What software is requiring you to convert it to .dxf?
An .stl should be more usable than a .dxf.

Unless they've recently added it, AutoCAD can't open .stl files.
Old Thu 28 August 2014, 08:45
pblackburn

United States of America
Stl is a triangular mesh. Autocad can import with a plugin. Solidworks will if under 10000 faces. If you just need a 2D outline use Aspire.
Old Thu 28 August 2014, 09:00
ger21

Detroit, MI
United States of America
In the past, an .stl import plugin was several hundred dollars. I see you can get one now for $30.
http://www.codedog.com.au/shop/item/...er-for-autocad

However, importing an .stl and saving as a .dxf will give you exactly the same thing, just saved in a different format. The .dxf will still be a triangle mesh.
My point was, just about everything can read an .stl file. I'm curious why he needs it to be in .dxf format.
Old Thu 28 August 2014, 09:04
pblackburn

United States of America
I was responding to his question. I figured you knew that already.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read