MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > After Building the Beast - Operating , Troubleshooting and Maintenance > Troubleshooting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Fri 19 November 2021, 17:33
digger
Just call me: Milosh #113

Toronto
Canada
Giving back to great MM community

Resently I noticed a length accuracy issue. Whatever length I wanted to have it is always shorter for about 1.5mm or so. Couldn't figure out what is the problem. Checked coordinate from file, looked good. Couldn't see anything on machine like loose screws or anything else. Went through the MM troubleshooting archive, looked for slipped pinion, removed every pinion to see any marks on shaft, but nothing. Checked if axis calibration is ok, and it was a bit off, but not that much. Anyway, was happy that I found something. Run test cut (all cuts I've done with same bit 3/16") and measured it and same problem. Test square is a bit smaller then it should be. Run calibration again but this time I tried manualy to hold the axis, to simulate cutting resistance and to check if there is something slipping. Nothing. Traveled distance was as it should be. Then I replaced bit, put 1/8", edited the file and run the program again. BINGO. Everything is ok now. Took the caliper and 3/16" bit and actually 3/16 is 1/8. This is one of the bits I got from China...
Lesson learned.

Hope my experience may help somebody else.

Milosh
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bit.jpg (100.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg caliper.jpg (110.4 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by digger; Fri 19 November 2021 at 17:42..

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read