MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Construction started, but not cutting yet
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Fri 23 August 2013, 20:59
Mrayhursh
Just call me: Hurshy

Riverview, Florida
United States of America
Tampa Build - Riverview FL USA

I now have all my steel cut. The legs are cut and have the weld plates drilled and welded. I primed them in white but didn't care for the look. A trip to Home Depot and they are now dark blue. Will drill the main beam tomorrow and bolt the legs on. Also hope to get all the cross members drilled and bolted in place. This week I received the v-guide wheels from Superior. McMasters shipped the gears and gear tracks and v-rails and e chain for x and y axis. My electrical box is near completion. I lost several of the electrical switches so I order them from Galco. I hope I will be able to complete the main parts of the table this weekend. I still need to cut the rails. I mention to my brother that I was going to use the skate to cut them but he suggested I use the plasma cutter. The problem I have with the plasma cutter is that it is so easy to make a mistake. I might try it on a short piece. My gantry tray has been welded for some time now. I will cut the tubes for the Y axis after I get the rails mounted. I am trying to find a local source for button screws to mount the v-rails. Oh if you decide to buy the Chinese glands for your project be advise that the threads are metric. Well best of luck to all of you in your builds...later
Old Sat 24 August 2013, 05:21
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Hurshy,

Sounds like your build is well on its way. Congratulations on your progress.

Please consider posting photos of your build. We love photos. They help others who are following you and it's still exciting for those of us who have completed our builds to see new builder progress.

Good luck for the week-end.
Old Sat 24 August 2013, 05:38
lonestaral
Just call me: Al #114

Isarn
Thailand
Send a message via Skype™ to lonestaral
Hurshy,
A busy man ! Happy ?
A busy weekend.

Photos please, gives me something to compare my build to.

Plasma cut rails, has anyone done that ?
Getting ready to skate grind mine.

Bon Voyage.
Old Sat 24 August 2013, 06:02
darren salyer
Just call me: Darren #101

Wentzville mo
United States of America
Sounds like you are well on your way!!
I vote for pics too.
Old Sat 24 August 2013, 21:10
Regnar
Just call me: Russell #69

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
If your ever get down to Pinellas Park check out Tri City Bolt for all you button head screws. They are very reasonable in price.

I used a plasma cutter to cut mine down. With the grinder mounted into the skate jig you will be limited on how deep you can go before hitting the jig. I cut mine down about a quarter of an inch taller than the height. Then cut it with a cutting wheel and ground my 45 angles.

Also don't forget to grind first with 40 grit sanding disk. It will save you hours of grinding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Regnar; Sat 24 August 2013 at 21:13..
Old Fri 11 October 2013, 05:54
Tom Ayres
Just call me: Tom #117

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Alright Mike, You have to post at least one picture of progress before its completed. I know you're getting close to completion. I know.
Old Fri 11 October 2013, 09:34
Mrayhursh

Riverview, Florida
United States of America
Completion

I will post some pictures but I am months away from completion. I spent yesterday cleaning the garage looking for parts. I had 9 people living here and things got very cluttered. My son finally completed his RN degree and moved his wife and kids out. I am missing key parts for the z-axis. I am wondering if I should ask Mike if I can buy a 10-40-430-W Spider.
Old Fri 11 October 2013, 09:42
Mrayhursh

Riverview, Florida
United States of America
Metal Head, or anyone else
if you have a piece of metal and want to bore a hole in it, I know I can put it on the vertical mill and go to it. But, if the piece cannot be laid flat and has to be machined vertically. How is this done? I called Grizzly and the lady had no clue. Any advise.
Old Fri 11 October 2013, 11:22
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
nail the piece of metal on a piece of sacrificial wood & vice the wood or what ever way you prefer to hold it. and you can MACHINE AWAY!!!
Old Fri 11 October 2013, 17:46
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Are we machining a hole or is it a matter of drilling with a bit? What level of accuracy are you talking?
Old Fri 11 October 2013, 18:44
Mrayhursh

Riverview, Florida
United States of America
Holes in the Project

I am trying to enlarge 3/8 inch holes to 1/2 and 5/8. I tried doing this with a large Bosch drill and it nearly broke my wrist. I am not a small person and this is sort a scary. The metal ranges from 1/4 to 1/2 thick. The 1/4 is no problem it the 1/2 material that is the problem.

I solved part of the problem by putting the 10 foot by 10 inch c-channel on the drill press and a outrigger stand. I then slowly drilled all the holes I could. I have the Grizzly G7948 drill press. It is the largest one I could find and I have used it for several years to do several projects.

Well I finished drilling all the lower holes on the table today. Tomorrow I will start putting the table together. Pulled out the parts for the gantry. I will cut and weld it next week after I finish mounting the rails.

One thing I found very useful is the Drill Doctor. Keeping the drill bits sharp sure makes the job go faster.
Old Mon 14 October 2013, 17:35
Mrayhursh

Riverview, Florida
United States of America
Table Coming Together! - Riverview, Florida

Well I am working on my table and I finally finished drilling all the holes on the underside of the rails. I have a photo of me adjusting the holes on the cross rails.

The holes for the cross rails were a bit tight so I used the Grizzly Mill to open then up. I didn't want a larger hole so I elongated them.

Here is a picture of my son Ian helping me assemble the base. I joked with him about picking it up, so he did.

I will post some more photos as I progress with the table.
Old Mon 14 October 2013, 18:53
lonestaral

Isarn
Thailand
That's what I like to see.
A well organised shop and labour.
Old Mon 14 October 2013, 21:09
Mrayhursh

Riverview, Florida
United States of America
Mess

Well I have been trying to clean it up but I am focusing mainly on working on the Mechmate. I have a 3 car garage and it just isn't big enough for all the toys. I think I will get rid of the 56 inch sheet metal, bender, roller and shear. It weights 1500 pounds and is a bear to move around. Pushing that up the driveway is like football practice. Besides I have a magnetic bender that is a lot more fun to play with. Later what are you working on now?
Old Mon 14 October 2013, 23:26
lonestaral

Isarn
Thailand
I was working on this but had to stop due to a paying job.
Some hardwood door panels.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mechmate.308.jpg (41.7 KB, 768 views)
Old Tue 15 October 2013, 06:46
darren salyer

Wentzville mo
United States of America
Al, that is cool. Care to share the DXF? I have a pilot friend who would love that as a Christmas gift.
Old Tue 15 October 2013, 07:23
lonestaral

Isarn
Thailand
Phantom

Here you go !
It is also posted on the cnc zone site.
Drew it myself 23 years ago.
Zoom in on the navigators hand.

I will tell the story when I finish it.
Enjoy
Attached Files
File Type: dxf phantom.dxf (343.9 KB, 43 views)
Old Tue 15 October 2013, 07:29
lonestaral

Isarn
Thailand
lancaster

Here is another one your friend might like.
Story attached to this one as well.
Attached Files
File Type: dxf Avro_Lancaster.dxf (182.4 KB, 47 views)
Old Tue 15 October 2013, 07:36
darren salyer

Wentzville mo
United States of America
Thank You very much, Al. Can't wait to hear the stories!!
Old Sat 19 October 2013, 21:11
Mrayhursh

Riverview, Florida
United States of America
Table completion getting near

I finished putting all the cross members on the table today. I pulled out a square and made the table true. The table is rock solid end-to-end but sideways there is a little give. I decided to change the bracing on the lower legs. Need to take another trip to the steel yard Monday and get the tubing.

I took the time this evening to spray everything insight blue. A second coat tomorrow.

For the bed of the table I was planning on using 7 layer cabinet grade plywood. I will drill it and countersink the carriage bolts. After that I will put a 3/4 piece MDF. Are there different grades of MDF?

things to do: cut x-axis rails. drill, slot rails
attach v-rail to rail. cut gear track, weld gear track.
get 3M tape, Mount gear track
Old Sun 20 October 2013, 03:51
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
You're moving along very well Mike. There are several grades of MDF, the standard is fine. But if you are going to use a vacuum system you would have to go to an ultralite type to allow airflow through the board itself.
Old Sun 20 October 2013, 05:29
lonestaral

Isarn
Thailand
Going well Hurshy.
Everything in sight blue !
I have experienced that.
Old Sun 20 October 2013, 17:45
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
What is the piece of metal you are boring? Was it your C channel? or another piece.
I bet those 3/8 inch holes are in A36 material. A36 sucks ... where oh where did my 1018 go !!
Old Sun 20 October 2013, 21:47
Mrayhursh

Riverview, Florida
United States of America
Horizantal Boring

I have a friend that wants 5/8 and 3/4 holes drilled/bored in some pieces. I couldn't see how I could mount the pieces on the Tormach, Grizzly Mill, or the drill press. I did find out that I could use my ShopSmith but won't. I found out that the model of drill press I bought can turn its bed 90 degrees. The bed of the drill press has T-Slots so I bolted the pieces to the bed and drilled. It was a slow process.
Old Sun 20 October 2013, 22:14
Mrayhursh

Riverview, Florida
United States of America
Vacuum

Tom, I have never given a vacuum box a second thought. I haven't been looking. I have not seen anyone else building one, are you?

Need to find out about proximity detectors.

Nice Phantom F4, how could that be done in 2.5D?
ok, I will ask the real question. How do I make the Statship Enterprise, Star Wars Battle Cruiser?
Old Mon 21 October 2013, 03:13
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Many MM are equipped with vacuum table. Including mine.

You can start drawing, trace or search for the Starship Enterprise, Star Wars Battle Cruiser dxf.

Last edited by KenC; Mon 21 October 2013 at 03:18..
Old Mon 21 October 2013, 03:27
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
As a kid we built the Enterprise out of toothpicks for a school project. As far as the vacuum, yes, but only after the MM breaks even and starts paying for itself. Darren Salyer (Darren #101) has made a really nice functioning set up for his and there are other elaborate examples on the forum. You may want to look into it before you purchase spoil board material.
Old Sun 27 October 2013, 23:35
Mrayhursh

Riverview, Florida
United States of America
Boring Cap of 2.2kw Spindle

Beautiful day here in Tampa. Skies were cloudy and light wind.
Here is the cap of the Chinese 2.2kw spindle mounted in the lathe.
The boring tool cut a perfect hole for the Amphenol Electrical connector.
Note the Amphenol is a German design and the pins located in the male end are exposed but they are shielded. As long as you are aware of this I do not see an issue.

Here the connector is pressed into the hole. Perfect fit (bragging)

Finished cutting all the rails. Went over them with flapper disk and painted them. Started to mount the v-rail on the Y-axis but see a problem. I had planned to use 1/4 20 cap screws. The problem is that it leaves to little metal on the rail. Will retry it tomorrow with 10-24 screws.
Old Mon 28 October 2013, 02:53
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
In what way does it leave little? Too close to an edge kind of thing?
Old Mon 28 October 2013, 03:29
Mrayhursh

Riverview, Florida
United States of America
Close to the Edge, YES

The v rail has a .500" flange to drill into. This of coarse is matched/faced to the angle iron. The minor diameter of a 1/4-20 drill is .1959. That is then tapped enlarging the hole to .250. If you get it exactly centered you have at best .125 thickness before breakout. Considering this is a poor quality of steel I have concerns that the weight of the Y-axis running over this will fatigue the union and thus derail the carriage.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read