MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Introduce yourself and start planning
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Fri 13 February 2009, 03:24
Sainty
Just call me: Stu

Southampton
United Kingdom
Introduction - Pre build questions - Southampton, UK

Hi

I thought that I would post an introduction as I have been sneeking around here for a while.

I am a joiner based in Southampton, UK. I have been looking at DIY CNC for a while without ever committing to a build. I want to use a CNC router primarily to machine panels (mdf, veneered MDF, corian, plastics, ply) and ten explore its uses for carving, spindle work with an A axis, solid timber etc - I have a system in my mind where I take cut panels of the cnc router and go straight to assembly - is this plausible? I am in a bit of a chicken and egg situation at the moment. I dont have a cnc machine and therefore can't expand my range of skills, but I can't expand my range of skills until I have the CNC router which I don't have the orders to justify and cant really measure the impact on my work schedule....until I get a CNC router. So as you see at some stage I need to make a leap of faith and I think I'm getting closer to that point.

I "think" that the MM is the right machine for me, it satisfies my dimension requirements 4ftx10ft, it "appears" relatively simple to build (once you have the right skill set), there is an active support forum - which is invaluable, and the value for money seems exceptional. I have one concern with a DIY MM - I don't work metal, and never have done and electronics aren't my thing either. That said, I am always open minded about new processes so it might just tak a little longer than other builds.

Now, I have downloaded the plans, scanned through them several times and done a lot of reading on this forum and others and it's starting to click into place. I can see how everything goes together. There are two things that concern me. Firstly, grinding the rails - this seems to be quite a task ( I know that people say that it's not really that hard) especially for a non metal worker. What are the thoughts of changing them for a supported rail -i know that is adds to the costs but are there any other implications?

The second issue i have is that I have seen a couple of threads where there has been a bit of chatter from the cutter. Is this common? I have read that it can be caused by direct drive and that by changing to geared (?) drive it can be overcome. Presumably this will have the effect of reducing the cutting speed?

Well that's turned out to be a bit of a rambling introduction - well done if you made it this far without falling asleep!

I'm looking forward to progressing with the MM - it just might take some time to get everything clear in my head!

thanks

Stuart
Old Fri 13 February 2009, 04:56
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Stuart,

Welcome you will be the first one from England.

I did not want to grind the rails either. It is a little more expensive but less work if you don't count all the holes you have to drill and tap. You also will use a piece of Aluminum that the rail will sit on.

Like any mechanical machine that some one builds there is a learning curve and there issues that have to be addressed. Think about it, most of us have no experience with CNC but we are able to build a machine that would cost $20,000 USD and have it work. There may be some things that may need adjusting after you have built it. But all manufacturing has those issues. I had chatter and some problems and they have been resolved.

These machine are fantastic.

One of the best advises I can give. Is to start. Start with in an area you feel the most comfort but start. Ask questions when you hit a problem but start.

I look forward to your pictures.

good luck and have fun building but it is much more fun cutting.
Old Fri 13 February 2009, 06:23
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Welcome Stu!
Old Fri 13 February 2009, 07:39
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Welcome, Stu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainty View Post
Hi

...Firstly, grinding the rails - this seems to be quite a task ( I know that people say that it's not really that hard) especially for a non metal worker. What are the thoughts of changing them for a supported rail -i know that is adds to the costs but are there any other implications?...
Please clarify what you mean by, "changing them for a supported rail."

By the way, I'm one of those non-metal workers who has ground the rails. It took about 8 hours and a bit of patience, but the rails came out looking good. On the other hand, I haven't finished my machine to the point of being able to test them.

Regards,
John
Old Fri 13 February 2009, 08:16
Sherman McCoy
Just call me: "Krasch"

Portland,OR
United States of America
Stu-

I just ordered T3 rails from Rick at Superior Bearing. For ~$300-400 you can save a lot of aggravation and 8 (or more) hours of your life by getting their pre-made rails. Linear bearing rails cost a fortune, and will get fouled in the first week by all the sawdust. At the end of the day, you're better off buying bolt-on parts where you can and only grinding if you must.
Old Fri 13 February 2009, 13:08
Sainty
Just call me: Stu

Southampton
United Kingdom
Thanks for the replies guys.

I've done a bit more reading today, and I'm now less put off by the rails. I think that this is how it will be for a while -

10 See new idea
20 Think Idea is complicated
30 Scared of idea
40 Search for alternative
50 Realise that new idea is probably done that way for a reason
60 read some more about new idea
70 Appreciate new idea
80 Understand idea
90 next new idea
100 goto 10

The more I think about the CNC router the more I am understanding the applications it might have for me.

eg. I was watching the mechmate dovetail video and thinking that it must take a long time to set up. Then I started thinking that you only need to set it up once, and you could probably set it up for various dovetail configurations so that you could cover a range of drawer sizes. Variable spacing, not a problem. Next time you have to do some drawers, call up the relevant file and let her rip.

There are probably 100 different applications like this that I've yet to think of. The thought of it sends shivers down my spine!

Still that's a long way off at the moment. A bit more reading first I think, and then some pricing up to do - then the fun starts!!!

Thanks again

Stu
Old Fri 13 February 2009, 22:26
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman McCoy View Post
. . . you can save a lot of aggravation and 8 (or more) hours of your life by getting their pre-made rails. (Superior's v-rail)
Remember that pre-made rails do not install themselves in zero time.
Old Sat 14 February 2009, 02:35
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Amen to that Brother Gerald. You must drill and tap each hole and you need the right aluminum. But there is no dust!
Old Sun 15 February 2009, 09:22
Artesan
Just call me: Danny

Kent
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am a joiner and maker of furniture also from the UK. I am in the garden of England, known as kent. Only about half hour from London though.

Just stumble on this amazing web site!!!!! Just what I have been looking for!
I used to make dashboards for classic cars and 4-wheel drives, which prompted me to build an inverted router, a bit like the Onstrud one. This was about 15 years ago. Now with the onslaught of CNC technology I am beginning to realise that I really need to have one. Especially as more and more I find myself having to send work to companies that do have one!!!

Have downloaded and printed the first lot of drawings. I have 2 steel fabricators as neibours where my workshop is. All I need now is to secretly divert the necessary funds to buy the bits I need without my wife finding out...

I am sure I will have lots of questions... But everyone here seems very helpfull, keep up the good work!!!

Regards Danny
Old Sun 15 February 2009, 10:21
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Danny we desparately need to see a MechMate in the UK - welcome!
Old Sun 15 February 2009, 10:24
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Gerald,

Danny is a comment on Stu's thread and Stu is from England. Looks like you will two MM in England soon.

Yea!
Old Wed 11 March 2009, 04:08
wobblybootie
Just call me: Tim

Poole
United Kingdom
Send a message via MSN to wobblybootie Send a message via Yahoo to wobblybootie
Another one ...

Make that 3 in the UK ...

Hi Guys,

I am in Dorset. I have been lurking and reading on and off for about a year. I have looked at loads of different systems, but keep ending up back here. I am not a woodworker or a welder or anything else useful. I am a former Royal Marine (buggered lower spine), thrown on the scrap heap, but I found woodturning and love it bigtime (but only as a hobby) I am tired of farming out engraving and small signage jobs etc, I thought about building a benchtop Mill. (Cash is very short so an outright purchase is a nonstarter). From what I have read I see no reason why the MM could not be built with enough accuracy to do the job. One minor inconvenience I have discovered though, the more I think about it the more uses I find for it ...

While pondering various minor points I came to the conclusion my needs would be met by a machine that can process a 1/4 sheet of UK ply/MDF (1220 X 610) but I have a few quick questions ...
1/ Is there any reason why I cannot build a MM using the Gantry as the 'X' and the narrow table width as 'Y' thereby allowing me to reuse the Gantry should I wish to rebuild to process 2440 X1220.
2/ Is there any reason why an 'A' axis could not be incorporated into the build or at least allowed for.

Sorry about the length of the post ...

Regards

Tim
Old Wed 11 March 2009, 04:50
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Tim, for an ex-Marine, you are thinking rather clearly!

Perfectly logical to build a 1220 long gantry and use it for the X while the (first) static table is short at 610mm.

Incorporating an A into the table is something discussed quite often, but folk find it hard to peg down what size of work they want to turn. I suggest that you leave it out of your first table, till you have the basics working. . . . . until the next table. An a-axis doesn't change the gantry.
Old Wed 11 March 2009, 13:38
precision
Just call me: Bren

Bournemouth
United Kingdom
Another Brit crawls out of the woodwork!!

Hello my name is Brendan.Just a short note to introduce myself, after following this wonderfull forum for such a long time.I am located at Poole Dorset, and have been gathering lots of materials to construct a 4ft x 4ft (working area) machine.This should have been started over 18 months ago, but due to family commitments, (building a bungalow for my son) and holding a pretty intensive job down, I have never really had the time to throw at it, but now it is my turn.
I have spent the last 18 months following the trials and tribulations of various builds and people really helping and encouraging each other to surmount difficult problems. I know it has been already said many times on here, but I am totally amazed and heartened by the unselfish nature, timely and always good advice, humour, and doggedness...even when provoked.Gerald, you are something else! Just the best stuardship that anybody would want!!!
Right I will get this out and will hopefully inform a little bit more later of what i have planned.. always open to sugestions and points of view.

Bren
Old Thu 12 March 2009, 00:42
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Welcome Bren! Looks like the Barmy Army is mustering for a surprise attack . . .
Old Thu 12 March 2009, 15:53
Artesan
Just call me: Danny

Kent
United Kingdom
UK MM, rise of the machines....

Blimey, looks like I've got a bit of competition!

I will be starting my build in reverse, electronics, kitchen table project etc.
Maybe some of you other Brits might be able to let me know of usefull suppliers, this side of the world. I will certainly provide any info I manage to stumble upon. Good luck and happy building
Old Fri 13 March 2009, 18:26
HomeMadeCnc
Just call me: Tim

Calgary, Alberta
Canada
Hello Stu, don't let the rails bother you. It took about 3 hours to cut them to height and about 30 min to put the edge on them. Overall it was allot easier than It looks. Just take your time measure twice and practice on a scrap piece to get the fell for it.
P.S. Welcome to the addiction! soon all you think about is MM
Old Sat 21 March 2009, 06:42
jim coggan
Just call me: jim

york
United Kingdom
hi stu jim here up in east yorkshire i just got 65 x 30mm angle so no need to cut down, just to grind edges, geralds rig is just what you need, takes about 1 hour. Built my machine for steel profile cutting, any questions just ask, cheers jim
Old Sat 21 March 2009, 07:45
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Jim, I would love to see some pics of your machine. Contact me by mail if you prefer - gerald@mechmate.com
Old Sun 22 March 2009, 00:10
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Hi Jim. Just a thing to keep in mind. If you use the rail at 30 mm then you might have to slot your motor mount a little. I made the mistake of making the 28 mm height on the inside of the angle and not the outside height. When I fitted the motor I then had to lengthen the slot before the motor could engage on the rack.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read