MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > After Building the Beast - Operating , Troubleshooting and Maintenance > Cutting various materials - bit selection, feeds, speeds
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Wed 15 April 2009, 20:00
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Cutting Foam Core Board

Anyone have suggestions for cutting profiles out of foam core board. I need to cut various shapes out of 1/2 inch foam core board. So far I have had the best luck with a 2 flute carbide tipped 1/4" router bit. But, I still have to do some sanding to clean up the edges...more than I would like.

Cutting the foam is not the problem. But the top and bottom surface coatings are a bit tougher to get a clean cut on.

Wayne, I saw your link to Onsrud. I looked at their site but didn't see what I was looking for. I sent them a technical question.

Man, there are lots of choices. Maybe someone with experience can help me narrow it down a bit.

Regards,
John
Old Thu 16 April 2009, 06:49
Rad Racer
Just call me: Wayne #25

Minnesota
United States of America
John,

This link will take you to the Onsrud catalog. This catalog should help you with bit selection(s).

https://www.onsrud.com/OC/pdf/OC-08CatalogR.pdf
Old Fri 17 April 2009, 12:53
PEU
Just call me: Pablo

Buenos Aires
Argentina
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhiggins7 View Post
Anyone have suggestions for cutting profiles out of foam core board. I need to cut various shapes out of 1/2 inch foam core board. So far I have had the best luck with a 2 flute carbide tipped 1/4" router bit. But, I still have to do some sanding to clean up the edges...more than I would like.

Cutting the foam is not the problem. But the top and bottom surface coatings are a bit tougher to get a clean cut on.

Wayne, I saw your link to Onsrud. I looked at their site but didn't see what I was looking for. I sent them a technical question.

Man, there are lots of choices. Maybe someone with experience can help me narrow it down a bit.

Regards,
John
Talk about coincidences, I was asked the same question minutes ago, but for a thicker piece, eva foam on the inside and fiberglass on the outside.

My idea was to use a 2 flute carbide end mill and use a sacrificial mdf sheet on the exit side so the hole turns out nice. Will test this on monday using my CNC Mill or the Small router I made. Its for Paddle rackets (http://images.google.com/images?clie...addle%20racket)

No onsrud dealers here, but Im looking the catalog, maybe I find a similar shaped tool under other brand.
Old Fri 17 April 2009, 13:26
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Pablo,

I got this reply from Bill at Onsrud.

I would try our 64-000 or 57-600 series tool. These are a single edge or double edge, downcut spiral O bit which works well on plastic and foam. The size and shape of your part will determine if you use the single edge or double edge tool.

64-000 series, 1/4 diameter = 18,000 RPM @ 100 IPM
57-600 series, 1/4 diameter = 18,000 RPM @ 200 IPM

I'm probably going to buy a Onsrud 64-024. I'll let you know how it does.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read