MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Wed 14 May 2008, 21:14
skypoke
Just call me: Chuck

Port Aransas
United States of America
20' long table, 5HP spindle - Port Aransas, USA

The heavy lifting is about done and now it's onto the electronics...here's a picture of our 6' X 20' table. Can't say I'm sorry to be done grinding angle though on the last piece...a redo...we figured out how to quickly grind.

We're going to give a try to the new Geckos, the 251 minis which are about to be released.

Here's the reason we're building a table of this size also...a previous project we will be offshore fishing on this weekend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4282 (Small).JPG (42.1 KB, 3517 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4283 (Small).JPG (52.9 KB, 3496 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1411-1 (Small).jpg (44.6 KB, 3471 views)
Old Wed 14 May 2008, 21:44
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Chuck,
That is a really impressive looking table. Let us know what you think of the new gecko drivers when you get them up and running. I am sure others are intersted as well.
Old Wed 14 May 2008, 23:50
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Chuck,

Nice looking table.
Old Thu 15 May 2008, 00:08
dmoore
Just call me:

That is just insanely large. I'm guessing that the cost wasn't that much more than for a 4'x8' unit - maybe 800-1000$ USD?
Old Thu 15 May 2008, 06:27
Marc Shlaes
Just call me: Marc

Cleveland, OH
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to Marc Shlaes
Chuck,

That is unbelievably cool. Well done!
Old Thu 15 May 2008, 09:30
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Chuck...
Great photo. The only thing missing is some nice logo's (Heck, if Gerald has JR, Marc, Doug and I minding the forum pages we have to do quality checks! )

Exceptional work. I like the channel extensions on the main channels.

Good luck making your power cat's.

Now, I can't wait to see how long it takes you to surface THAT table ?

Congrats,
Sean
Old Thu 15 May 2008, 10:00
IN-WondeR
Just call me: Kim

Randers
Denmark
That's just crazy....

But it looks very very cool....
Old Thu 15 May 2008, 10:48
grandpi
Just call me: Pierre

Caussens
France
whaou !!!! Nice ...

If i need a second mechmate, it will be as big as this one ... or nothing.

Bye,

Pierre.
Old Thu 15 May 2008, 13:32
bbreaker
Just call me: Mickey

Galgan
France
Send a message via MSN to bbreaker Send a message via Skype™ to bbreaker
whooooooooo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
very cool, nice looking if i got place i do this one
Old Thu 15 May 2008, 15:19
skypoke

Port Aransas
United States of America
You betcha it'll have a Mechmate logo. Not a whole lot more cost in the grand scheme of things going this size but considerably more work involved. Things like run out on the main channels become more critical too. Since our standard sheet size is 20' X 5-6' there really wasn't much choice, we had to go long.

If anyone happens to be down our way in S. Texas, consider this an invite.

Chuck
Old Thu 15 May 2008, 19:05
Greg J
Just call me: Greg #13

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Chuck,

Now that's a MechMate!!!!!!!!!

I may take you up on the invite offer someday.

Greg
Old Thu 15 May 2008, 20:36
Doug_Ford
Just call me: Doug #3

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
Greg J,

You took the words right out of my mouth. Wow!!
Old Thu 15 May 2008, 22:03
Greg J
Just call me: Greg #13

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Doug,

Yea, and any shop that has dog's inspecting the work is OK in my book.
Old Fri 16 May 2008, 07:18
skypoke

Port Aransas
United States of America
That's Little Bit Pearson there, one tough hard nosed inspector. When we were building our cat her favorite place was striding along on the overturned underwing section. Don't try to pass off a pinholed weld with her around!

Chuck
Old Wed 04 June 2008, 10:34
domino11

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypoke View Post
We're going to give a try to the new Geckos, the 251 minis which are about to be released.
Chuck,
Have you had a chance to try out the 251s yet? I dont think anyone here has tried one yet.
Old Wed 04 June 2008, 21:52
skypoke

Port Aransas
United States of America
The mini 251's have yet to be released but Gecko says they'll be in production this week and available next. I am eagerly awaiting and will report results.

Chuck
Old Thu 05 June 2008, 00:31
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
I would be nervous of the 251's if you have to pay the postage on returning them for repair/replacement. If you live far from Gecko, and production time on your machine is important, don't volunteer to be a test pilot. All the recently launched Gecko products had some or other issue for the first couple of months for which free replacements were offered - but the postage and production time was not factored into the "free" part.
Old Thu 05 June 2008, 02:34
Richards
Just call me: Mike

South Jordan, UT
United States of America
I agree with Gerald. When Gecko releases a new product, I usually buy a sample and run it on the test bench. For production work, I always use a product that has been on the market for at least six months - preferably longer.

The 251 seem a little light-weight to me when compared to the G203v. I run my PK296B2A-SGxx motors at 3A, which (I believe) is maximum for the 251.
Old Thu 05 June 2008, 17:15
skypoke

Port Aransas
United States of America
I recognize sage advice when I hear it, and stand well advised. However, in the spirit of experimentation, and assuming they actually get them built and available in the near future, I think I'll go ahead and give the 251's a try. They will end up bundled up and sent back for 203's if the frustration level gets to that point but the appeal of a $37.00 drive is there.

I have the luxury of no production schedule at all so a bit of downtime isn't an issue. According to the long drawn out online collaboration on these drives and their design, 3.5A is permissible. I'll heat sink them real well with conductive paste and see if they puke. Now if they take the motors with em...hmmm...

Chuck
Old Thu 05 June 2008, 20:53
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Chuck, glad to hear you going into this with the right attitude. Essentially you are volunteering to be a "beta" tester for Gecko. The world (that's the rest of us) needs guys like you!
Old Wed 31 December 2008, 15:35
servant74
Just call me: Jack

Nashville (Tennessee)
United States of America
How did the 'testing' go! ...

I've done beta testing of software before for vendors, at times it is a blessing, but there is a reason why it is called the 'bleeding edge' at times!
Old Thu 01 January 2009, 07:49
skypoke

Port Aransas
United States of America
Hi all,

Well, there were so many delays for the 251 Geckos I ended up just buying a couple new 201's to go with a couple old ones I had on hand. They have worked superbly, no reason yet to wish I'd bought the vampires.

If I was doing it again, though, I'd buy the mini gecko four driver setup with breakout board. Less money, package solution.

Chuck
Old Thu 01 January 2009, 07:57
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Good to hear from you again Chuck!

So, is your table actually in production already?
Old Sat 03 January 2009, 08:42
skypoke

Port Aransas
United States of America
Hi Gerald,

"Production" is a rather strong term for what we're doing! Yes, we've been up and running for several months. Other than the pinion slippage issue we've had zero glitches other than operator headspace errors. She's a very impressive machine, it's almost comical to see this massive beast twitching around and producing tiny detailed objects.

I've cut some aluminum, we're still in the experimental phase on this. We're hoping to integrate Maxman's lube/coolant suggestions for cutting the softer, gummier grades of alloy with a shop built version of a commercial microdrop (fogbuster style) dispenser. Interestingly enough, our best results so far have been with using an 1/8" two flute upcut spiral, single pass cut on 5mm. Things look very promising, at this point we're researching various small boat designs with the idea of a production run.

Awesome machine. Will send pictures.

Chuck
Old Sat 03 January 2009, 08:44
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Ah, that's great news! Thanks

Now we can move you to the right part of the forum . . .
Old Sat 03 January 2009, 15:50
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Chuck,

Congratulations! Another one working.
Old Sun 04 January 2009, 19:10
domino11

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
This is probably the biggest MM to date! Congratulations Chuck!
Old Sun 04 January 2009, 19:16
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Chuck,

Great table. Nice job!

As requested by Gerald, I've added your build to the Builder's Log, here.

I made some assumptions about the start and completion dates. Please correct me. I also assumed Port Aransas is in Texas. I'm a fellow Texan and I couldn't find another Port Aransas except for the one in Texas.

All your machine needs now is the logo's. Many of us got them from Joe (jbmclain), if you're interested.

Regards,
John
Old Tue 06 January 2009, 03:53
skypoke

Port Aransas
United States of America
Hey John,

Thanks for keeping up with this stuff, I'd been thinking I ought to update the Mech progress.

Yep, Port Aransas Tx., outside Corpus Christi is da place. If you're ever down this way drop on by. All the info on the spreadsheet is correct, we're pushing a 5 hp Colombo spindle. Refining the Mechmate has become somewhat of an ongoing process, finally got a dust foot I can live with installed and set up the auto axis zeroing routine using the Mach Blue screenset. In lieu of a pendant we're using a Logitech wireless controller with good success. I suspect we'll look at a homebrew auto toolchanger at some point.

Appreciate the tip about Joe and the Mech stickers. I'll give him a shout and see if we can make this machine official.

Thanks,

Chuck
Old Tue 06 January 2009, 07:12
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Chuck,

It just gets better and better! Largest table to date, Columbo spindle, dust foot, Logitech zeroing and possible tool changer. Can't wait to see the additional pictures, nudge, nudge.

Yep, been through Port Aransas...scenic route, Corpus Christi to Galveston. I'd love to see your operation and MechMate.

Regards,
John

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read