MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Construction started, but not cutting yet
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Wed 11 July 2007, 07:38
John Jasper
Just call me: John

Jasper, IN
United States of America
Mechmate in Jasper, Indiana

As the freight truck drives down the street after dropping off 600lbs of steel, I am now fully committed to building a Mechmate.

I am essentially building a duplicate of the Doc Tanner configuration.

Cheers,
John
Old Wed 11 July 2007, 09:00
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
That sounds serious!
Old Mon 23 July 2007, 13:18
John Jasper

Jasper, IN
United States of America
Gerald,
It looks like I fat fingered my angle iron. This is where you accidently hit the track wheel on your mouse as you are ordering and it changes your selection from say 2.5 x 2.5" to 2.0 x 2.0" without you noticing.

The net effect is that I have a lot of 2"x2" angle iron. In reviewing the plans, it looks like you really need 2.5" on the wide side of the rail. Please confirm.
(Somehow I see a lot of steel legged tables in my future, maybe some tressels.)

Cheers,
John
Old Mon 23 July 2007, 14:10
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
John, you have gotten my favourite angle iron, but sorry, it won't do for the rails - the screws will fall off the tip.
Old Mon 08 October 2007, 08:32
John Jasper

Jasper, IN
United States of America
Steel or Al

Gerald,
I have now advanced as far as I can and now need to order the material for the rails. After practicing the cut down and angle grinding, I am now leaning towards the BWC rails. Would it be practical for me to switch to the structual Al? Or do you recommend stating the course? (I got OM 7.2 and 20 gear)

Cheers,
John
Old Tue 09 October 2007, 09:31
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
I personally wouldn't switch now, but then steel is what I am used to. Your choice. If you do switch, you will have to fudge your motor plates a little to make them fit. You could use countersunk screws through the motor plates into the gearboxes, so that the motors can swing slightly further down.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read