MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Archives
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old Mon 02 April 2007, 23:26
James Webster
Just call me:

Small PK29601aa Motors @ $45

I just saw some PK296-01aa Motors for $45 at All Electronics:

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/item/SMT-96/search/HEAVY-DUTY_2-PHASE_STEP PING_MOTOR_.html

These sell for $139 direct from Oriental, so these may help out somebody.
Old Tue 03 April 2007, 01:27
fabrica
Just call me:

James, Are you sur that they are brand new and without defects.If so I would not mind buy a few.
Old Tue 03 April 2007, 02:18
Gerald_D
Just call me:

The PK296-01AA has 50% less torque than the PK299-01AA. The difference is the length of the armature (rotating permanent magnet) inside - the higher torque motor has double the armature length of the smaller one.
Old Tue 03 April 2007, 08:48
James Webster
Just call me:

Yes, they are brand new and without defects. We order from AE all the time. Shipping is a flat $7 no matter how much you order from them (more for international, of course).

I compared the 2 motors on Oriental's web site and saw the difference in torque. I figured that some people are going to build a MM and not need anything more that the PK296-01AA, like people who will go Plasma, Laser or maybe even a conventional router.

If I were on a budget, I would trust these Oriental motors over some "no name" Chinese steppers any day.
Old Tue 03 April 2007, 11:23
Mike Richards
Just call me:

Trying to determine whether a motor is 'big enough' to do the job depends on a lot of factors. Personally, I like a motor that delivers about 200 oz*in of torque minimum at the RPM that I will use with the motor; then, I'm counting on multiplying that 200 oz*in by using a 3:1 belt-driven gearbox. That will give me about 600 oz*in of torque. Using a 30-tooth spur gear will give about 1.57" of linear travel per rotation of the shaft (using a 3:1 gearbox). With a desired feed speed of at least 6-ips, that means that the motor's shaft has to turn 3.82 times per second, or 229 RPM. Then, when we look at the charts, the PK299-01AA motor shows about 175 oz*in at that speed. It's a little light, but not too much. A point of interest is that the PK299-01AA motor produces a LOT less torque at that speed. It comes in at about 75 oz*in. In fact, at speeds over 100 RPM, the PK299-01AA motor sheds torque rapidly. So, for direct-drive applications (without a gearbox), and at speeds upto about 4-ips, the PK299-01AA motor is a powerhouse. Even, the little PK268-02AA motor, when used with a 6:1 gearbox, will perform very well up to about 500 RPM, which means that it will produce 600 oz*in (with a 6:1 gearbox) up to about 6.5-ips. However, the PK268-02AA has a 1/4-inch shaft and, because of its small size, it gets hot in a hurry - there's just not enough mass to radiate the heat away from the motor.

There are a lot of motors and a lot of choices. Frankly, almost any modern motor is probably usable if you know its torque curve and know how to best use its power.
Closed Thread

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read