MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Construction started, but not cutting yet
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sat 14 November 2015, 10:09
Father-of-Ash
Just call me: Bilal

Toledo, OH
United States of America
Hello all,
I'd like to cut my own gearboxes and I've been looking, preferably 4:1. my gantry is very heavy, 1/4" wall tubes. the only confirmed boxes that fit the 72 tooth pulley that i could find are rischoof, chopper & mikes.
does JR's box fit a 4:1? I like the size and simplicity of it, I would only add a belt tension to it.
I also just realized that torque is effected at higher rpm that is needed to run the machine at non-monotonous speeds. should I be concerned with this using the pk299-F4.5A?
Where are you guys finding the kevlar XL belts? other then mcmaster @ $24 a pop for a 90 tooth 3/8"

Pete, could you please tell me where you got those spindle mounts from? I likey.

Once I get this beast back together I'll hopefully be re-motivated to finish up the dreaded control box. A lot of holes and soldering to do.

Thanks All.
Old Sat 14 November 2015, 11:46
pblackburn
Just call me: Pete #98

South-Central Pennsylvania
United States of America
Stock drive products also carries belts that is another site to look at. I have a 4:1 reduction assembly that uses idlers and tensioners. It is for the Z but with some quick CAD changes you could make one to mount to the x, b and y. The spindle mount I made, if you would like to print let me know.
Old Sun 15 November 2015, 00:59
Father-of-Ash

Toledo, OH
United States of America
Pete, I would love to have a look your boxes and spindle mounts.

I did check SDP/SI but they don't have kevlar in that config, abut then again I don't even know which boxes I'm going with yet so... (they do have it in 88 tooth)

I just had a look at your Z box and remembered it.
can you tell me how you calculated belt length with those additional idlers?

will a 20 tooth spur gear with 4:1 reduction become too a slow machine for the typical cnc'er? better with 25 or 30 tooth?
Old Sun 15 November 2015, 05:04
Tom Ayres
Just call me: Tom #117

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Bilal, here are the parts from SDP/SI that I suggest if you are using a half inch shaft,

A 6A 3-72NF03716 (72 tooth)
A 6A 3-18H3716 (18 tooth)

if your stepper shaft is 14mm like mine you'd have to machine the small pulleys. I have mine set up as 3.6:1 with a 20t pulley and kevlar belts but am looking to change it real soon. I do have belt reduction plates that someone was kind enough to share that work great. I'll have to dig up the files and get to you.
Old Sun 15 November 2015, 08:55
Father-of-Ash

Toledo, OH
United States of America
Tom that would be much appreciated.

I also wanted to mention that B&B manufacturing is cheaper then sd/si, and Automation Direct is even cheaper then B&B. free shipping if over 50$, but they don't have kevlar belts.
I've used them a couple times so far.

Finally started assembling the machine last night, I'll put up some pics later today.
Old Sun 15 November 2015, 10:11
pblackburn
Just call me: Pete #98

South-Central Pennsylvania
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by Father-of-Ash View Post

I also just realized that torque is effected at higher rpm that is needed to run the machine at non-monotonous speeds. should I be concerned with this using the pk299-F4.5A?
I have 3 different models of steppers and the 296 and 299 are 2 of those, I have found no problems so far. My rapids are 500 IPM because my ratios are lower so my steppers are turning fast. As far as the torque, properly sizing the power supply will help with that but torque/speed with always be an issue.
Old Sun 15 November 2015, 11:04
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
You can find the files I started with on Ross #74's (SURFCNC) Post#870. I think I modified them for my bearings, there is one of the support post (stand-off) holes that are real close so you may want to make modifications in that area. You can find a pic of the finished plates I cut with direct drive on my thread as well.
Old Sun 15 November 2015, 19:56
Father-of-Ash

Toledo, OH
United States of America
Pete, thanks for the dxf.
Tom, I will take a look at Ross's as well.
Than you both for the info.
Here is a pic from today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsz_imag0672.jpg (92.5 KB, 876 views)

Last edited by Father-of-Ash; Sun 15 November 2015 at 20:01..
Old Sun 15 November 2015, 22:04
servant74
Just call me: Jack

Nashville (Tennessee)
United States of America
Looking great!
Old Mon 16 November 2015, 04:59
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Hell of a grinder stand !!

Looks great!!
Old Wed 18 November 2015, 12:11
Fox
Just call me: Fox

Amsterdam
Netherlands
Look at my thread, I have 4:1, and already fixed many issues I found with other files and have removable pulleys etc.. can supply some files when needed.
Old Wed 18 November 2015, 14:47
Father-of-Ash

Toledo, OH
United States of America
That's hilarious Mike, Thanks guys.

Fox I'll have to go through your thread again, too much stuff to remember.
I still don't know what I'm gonna go with and last night I slowly realized how much more work I have ahead of me lol. I would love to see what you have.
Also wanted to ask for recommendations on spur gear tooth count. with a 4:1 box would you go 25 or 30? from what I've read a 20 tooth is too rough on the rack and probably overkill?

Last edited by Father-of-Ash; Wed 18 November 2015 at 15:12..
Old Sun 13 December 2015, 22:19
Father-of-Ash

Toledo, OH
United States of America
Hello All,

slow progress but coming along. Drag chains should be in tomorrow.
I didn't realize how bad my rails are until I recently looked at them carefully. I ended up milling the top of them and need to re-bevel, and i was able to bevel both Z's on the mill as well.

had a couple questions, but got a brain fart at the moment. hopefully I'll remember tomorrow along with a couple pics.
Old Fri 25 December 2015, 19:53
Father-of-Ash

Toledo, OH
United States of America
Hello all,

just some pics of progress(not much) and an updated album link here.
Also, mrosupply.com seems to be the cheapest for Boston spur gears free shipping no minimum. $16.87 for 30 tooth and $14 for 20tooth.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dscn1644.jpg (270.2 KB, 709 views)
File Type: jpg dscn1659.jpg (283.6 KB, 711 views)
File Type: jpg dscn1660.jpg (270.8 KB, 709 views)
File Type: jpg imag0685.jpg (203.4 KB, 709 views)
File Type: jpg imag0735.jpg (197.5 KB, 707 views)
File Type: jpg rsz_dscn1661.jpg (146.7 KB, 707 views)

Last edited by Father-of-Ash; Fri 25 December 2015 at 19:56..
Old Fri 25 December 2015, 22:36
darren salyer
Just call me: Darren #101

Wentzville mo
United States of America
Looking good
Old Sat 26 December 2015, 05:38
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Its coming along nicely
Old Sun 27 December 2015, 21:54
Father-of-Ash

Toledo, OH
United States of America
Forgot to say Happy Holidays to all in observance!

Thank you for all the help thus far!
Old Mon 28 December 2015, 02:52
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
The same to you Bilal!
Old Wed 03 February 2016, 22:38
Father-of-Ash

Toledo, OH
United States of America
Hello all,
slowly its been coming along.
I ran into some issues with the rails and main beams, turns out the flanges of the C-channel aren't very perpendicular which in turn doesn't let the rails sit straight in the V-wheels. I've been belt sanding the outer part of the beam to try and level it out, im pretty sure this has been discussed somewhere here, i think i remember reading it. I was thinking of running some shim stock along the length of the rail for leveling but didnt think that was the best in the long run. I'll put some pics up tomorrow about this issue.

Last edited by Father-of-Ash; Wed 03 February 2016 at 22:43..
Old Fri 05 February 2016, 05:16
Nikonauts
Just call me: Nikonauts

Johore
Malaysia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Father-of-Ash View Post
Hello all,
slowly its been coming along.
I ran into some issues with the rails and main beams, turns out the flanges of the C-channel aren't very perpendicular which in turn doesn't let the rails sit straight in the V-wheels. I've been belt sanding the outer part of the beam to try and level it out, im pretty sure this has been discussed somewhere here, i think i remember reading it. I was thinking of running some shim stock along the length of the rail for leveling but didnt think that was the best in the long run. I'll put some pics up tomorrow about this issue.
Hi there, Bilal.

Flanges of C-channel not perpendicular to what? The C-Channel web?
Old Fri 05 February 2016, 13:20
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
This has been addressed in many machines.
Personally, I have done the following:
- tipped the Channel and welded the "leg" of the channel plumb when I build the machine \_/ or /_\
- Thin Layer of body filler (bondo) on top flange and sanded flat.
- used metal shims to plumb the Vee Rail.

All worked with varied success. Shims are quick and a soda can is a perfect thickness
Old Fri 05 February 2016, 18:40
Father-of-Ash

Toledo, OH
United States of America
Yes they aren't perpendicular with webbing. I guess never assume the obvious????? Unbelievable...

Thanks Sean, I ended up belt sanding them, one beam is almost done , just needs some finishing touches. Had to use 24 grit alumina zirconia to see any progress but it's coming. Annoyingly coming along..
Old Sun 07 February 2016, 02:42
Fox
Just call me: Fox

Amsterdam
Netherlands
I belt sanded them to close enough to be shimmed and then shimmed the rails.
Old Tue 10 May 2016, 21:33
Father-of-Ash

Toledo, OH
United States of America
Hello all, just chiming in.

not much progress in the past 2 months, but should be getting back on it now. I'll update that photo album as well.
Old Sat 14 May 2016, 12:31
Father-of-Ash

Toledo, OH
United States of America
Hello all,

Can anyone recommend a ethernet smoothstepper that has plugins for both mach and UCCNC? or do they exist? not sure why since i dont know either of these programs yet, figured i might switch over to UCCNC down the road because of some very positive hype about it.
And if it doesnt exist then what is the recommendation for an ESS for mach3,4? I already have mach3.
Old Sun 15 May 2016, 02:57
danilom
Just call me: Danilo #64

Novi Sad
Serbia
CNC drive has a motion controller with ethernet which works with Mach or UCCNC

UC400ETH ethernet motion controller
http://cncdrive.com/MC/UC400ETH%20da...ETH_manual.pdf
Old Sun 15 May 2016, 12:33
Father-of-Ash

Toledo, OH
United States of America
Thank you Danilo,

Discovered Warp9 tech seems to be very popular as well and a lot more options, and they said they will be developing an SDK soon for it to be more versitile.

http://warp9td.com/index.php/products

Last edited by Father-of-Ash; Sun 15 May 2016 at 12:36..
Old Sun 15 May 2016, 12:49
danilom
Just call me: Danilo #64

Novi Sad
Serbia
At the rate of mach updates and bugfixes some of us may not live to use more versatile SDK

Don't know what could be supported on smoothstepper that is not on other devices which work with Mach3 or 4, so the performance is similar. UCx00 devices work with mach3 and UCCNC. others will work only with Mach3,4

I personally have Usb smoothstepper and pokeys57e and couple of CSMIO devices, just look at the update rate and bugfixes for each and it will show you which device is in development which is buggy and which is mature.

For me CSLabs CSMIO IP/M for machines not needing lots of IO is perfect... works with 24VDC IO and has analog IO no need for interface boards or anything like that, nice package not a board which is awkward to mount or fragile, no interference whatsoever and no bugs to speak of in plugins.
Old Sun 15 May 2016, 17:44
Father-of-Ash

Toledo, OH
United States of America
Ok I'll look into those Danilo, Thanks for the advice.
Old Mon 10 October 2016, 22:43
Father-of-Ash

Toledo, OH
United States of America
Hello All,

Just wanted to chime in, I'm still around.
here is a link of photos of where I'm at. https://goo.gl/photos/b2YK7z6tCxumeoKT8

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read