MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Structure & Mechanics > 55. Dust Management
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Thu 26 May 2011, 14:25
giggler
Just call me: giggler

na
United Kingdom
PU hose or PVC?

Hi,

Anyone tried PVC hose 4" diameter like on white goods for dust extraction? The PU hoses at 10m lengths, same diameter are like comming out at £85GBP while I found a guy selling 15M lengths of PVC 1/3 price. Ok it's not clear like the PU hoses but will it do and how long will it last from experience?

Thanks in advance,

dc
Old Thu 26 May 2011, 17:12
melissa
Just call me: Melissa #83

Brighton (Ontario)
Canada
When you say "white goods" are you talking about home appliances, washer and dryer?

If so, I'd be careful about what kind of negative pressure (suction) those hoses are capable of withstanding. Normally they operate at a very slight positive pressure. Under suction from a decent dust collector, they may well collapse.

The same issue exists with 30ga metal ducting used for home heating, when repurposed for dust collection. The duct isn't designed for suction applications.

Hope this helps.
Old Thu 26 May 2011, 21:05
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
PVC pipes can handle -ve pressure very well. I use them in both the dust collector & vacuum holddown system. In my vacuum holddown, I hit 215mmHG all the time.
Old Thu 26 May 2011, 21:15
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Ken, why would you be using 102mm flexible PVC pipe for vacuum holddown? I think you are talking of thick-walled rigid PVC pipe.
Old Thu 26 May 2011, 21:19
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
The vacuum hold down is 40mm PVC.
The Dust collector is 102mm PVC pipe.
Both are rigid. only use 100mm spiral wire reinforced PVC felxible hose hanging from the ceiling to the dust shoe.
Why the choice? Because that is what I had/can find at that time.
Old Thu 26 May 2011, 22:42
melissa
Just call me: Melissa #83

Brighton (Ontario)
Canada
The original poster mentioned hose, not pipe.

Hose = flexible

Pipe = rigid

I stand by my comments about using (some types of) hose for suction.

This is an example of why terminology is important.
Old Fri 27 May 2011, 03:07
giggler
Just call me: giggler

na
United Kingdom
Yes, sorry guys, flexible hose 100-102mm diameter for dust shore to extractor.

The PU stuff looks like the stuff to use, it's clear so I can see blockages but the cost is so much more.

I can get tumble dryer PVC hose for £16GBP/15m roll where as the PU is comming out at £85GBP/10m roll. Both have wire spring supports, not sure what metal gauge they use for the spring.

Seeing as so many of the mechmates seem look different because of slight design changes, probably due to materials at hand etc. I figured perhaps some of you may have used the cheaper PVC hose for dust extraction.

I have IGUS chain on x/y axis and plan on strapping it to the chain following back to the extractor, rather than dropping from the roof.

Regards,

dc
Old Fri 27 May 2011, 07:37
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
My bad on the wrong terminology
I use the grey hose with spring wire, & it doesn't have smooth inner bore but it cost only a fraction of the clear type... Anyway, it has been there for over a year & its still in 1 piece I guess it does work.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read