MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Today's Posts

Old Fri 04 July 2008, 02:20
hennie
Just call me: Hennie #23

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Right My China!
Old Mon 07 July 2008, 05:06
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
Kobus

What have you done regarding the cable chain? I dont see any pics of your set-up, did you get from your local supplier at the good price as mentioned before? What is the lengths of your cables as finally assembled?

ps - Sorry for the loss over the weekend , now we are on the same position on the log
Old Tue 08 July 2008, 04:16
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Just had to have a quick look at the forum via Black Berry in the lounge at the lodge. No signal at the cabin. Will feedback on Friday night when I get home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_c View Post
Kobus

What have you done regarding the cable chain? I dont see any pics of your set-up, did you get from your local supplier at the good price as mentioned before? What is the lengths of your cables as finally assembled?

ps - Sorry for the loss over the weekend , now we are on the same position on the log
Old Fri 11 July 2008, 13:45
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Hi there, I am back, rested and ready to get to BBB tomorrow....after doing some work in and around the house. Was also told/instructed by the BOSS today to get on and build her Glass Fusing and Slumping Kiln now that I have my TOY.

Wel I did go and play with different CAM software and in the end decided to go for Cut2D from Vectric. Very easy to use and understand, the price is right and I am sure that it will do what I want it to do for a while.

Alan, when I got the quote for the cable chain I was not ready to jump in and build my machine. By the time I got to that stage, the price whent up by 3. So what I did, I bundled the cables together, screwed plastic anchors about half way into the beams and used cable ties to get them on the machine. The X-Axis DRAGS on the ground where nobody walks and on the Y I made some sort of BASKET where the cables can wind and unwind. Will try and get some pictures tomorrow.
Old Fri 11 July 2008, 15:48
Alan_c

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobus_Joubert View Post
Alan, when I got the quote for the cable chain I was not ready to jump in and build my machine. By the time I got to that stage, the price went up by 3.
Hell, doesn't that burn your a*se, that's just plain profiteering and they will probably blame it on the oil price or the Rand - Euro exchange, not that either one of those rose by 300% At least you have come right with a work around. The steel price is just as aggravating, my actual cost has doubled from my original quotes of one year ago and if I dont get the remaining steel before the end of the month it goes up by another 12%.

Anyway, on to happier thoughts, how was the fishing, any good bites?
Old Fri 11 July 2008, 23:01
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Welkome back!
You must let mummy post on the forum.My Boss is to scared.

Ja, Alan I had the same thing with the steel.I would say if someone starts building they need to get the steel first and put it in storage.I had it within a month the price was nearly R 1000 more.
Old Sat 12 July 2008, 00:19
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
We have just come out of a boom economic period, where sales & turnover was high and companies made good profits. Now that sales have fallen off drastically, the accountants are trying to figure out how to make the same profits off the smaller volumes, or lose their jobs . . . . . and everyone's prices go crazy.
Old Sun 13 July 2008, 07:15
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
I am so glad BBB is finished...sort off...price of steel , exchange rate etc forgotten for a while. This weekend I had to put a new door between the flatlet and the house. Thought it would be great to see BBB do something bigger. This floral design and edge took less than 5 minutes to cut. Did pick up that my table is not 100% flat anymore...I moved it a few times to do some work on it after flattening the bed and I know that the floor is not 100% level.

The other pictures are for Alan to show my improvised cable chain setup.

Gerald, I find he settings for X and Y (9000) a bit high. Going down to 5000 it gave me better results...this I see when engraving text. At 9000 the ARIEL looks completely different. At 5000 it is nice and square.

IMG00324.jpg

IMG00326.jpg

IMG00327.jpg
Old Sun 13 July 2008, 08:40
normand blais
Just call me: Normand

montreal
Canada
Nice machine Mr Joubert
I wanted to show my improvised cable setup . I put all the cable inside a vaccum hose and the extention for the power to the router is tied on the side. The hose fit nicely in a 2X3 metal stud actually the tract used for drywall .It will protect the cables from rubbing on metal .I did the same for the dust collecting system. This was to be temporary but never got around to change it for the last 4 years
Normand
Attached Images
File Type: jpg early morning at the shop.JPG (134.3 KB, 2357 views)
Old Sun 13 July 2008, 11:47
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
That is also a great idea..when I install my dust system I might just get a meter or so extra for this.
Old Sun 13 July 2008, 11:56
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Anybody out there with some GLASS KILN building experience ? Since this forum is so full of people with wonderful ideas and help to each other, I thought I can only ask.
Old Sun 13 July 2008, 16:10
Greg J
Just call me: Greg #13

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobus_Joubert View Post
Was also told/instructed by the BOSS today to get on and build her Glass Fusing and Slumping Kiln now that I have my TOY.
Kobus,

My wife wants to make "stuff" / "slumping", along with some stain glass art.

Are you building a kiln from the ground up?? If you are, I might be building one also. Not too sure I want to be building something that reaches temperature around 1200 to 2,000 deg. F.

Have your "Boss" send my "Boss" a pm.
Old Mon 14 July 2008, 04:18
normand blais
Just call me: Normand

montreal
Canada
Some wooden belt buckles I made for a young artist . She does beatifull glass work . She will pick up some more today or so ,if you have some questions I could ask her. http://noujica.blogspot.com/ her web site .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg noujica_01 (1).jpg (9.8 KB, 2327 views)
Old Mon 14 July 2008, 06:39
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Hi Greg, the idea is to build one from scratch. I have the RAMP controller already and have some info, but still looking for more information on design and building of a kiln that will do the job.

Thanks for the photo Normand, but I am more interested in the design and building of the Kiln itself. My wife does the glass work, but always relied on the studio's for the fusing and slumping part.
Old Fri 18 July 2008, 04:50
Lex
Just call me: Johan #56

Empangeni KwaZuluNatal
South Africa
Kobus,
Did you use the original motor laser profile mounting plates as shown on Gerald's drawings for the Motion kings, or did you profile cut new plates?
Old Fri 18 July 2008, 05:48
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Both are on the drawings. Geared and straight. I first had the geared motor plates cut, then later the standard ones.
Old Fri 18 July 2008, 06:02
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Lex, you need 3 off M5 10 312 and 1 off M5 10 322 for the MotionKings
Old Sun 20 July 2008, 10:49
kaartman
Just call me: Koning #20

Abu Dhabi
United Arab Emirates
Hi kobus
stuur vir my jou e-pos adres asseblief, myne is kaartman@eim.ae or please send me your email address, regards
Old Sun 20 July 2008, 22:38
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Done
Old Wed 23 July 2008, 23:02
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Did you come right with the pipes for the extraction?

Prices that I got from supplier in George was.

85 mm od R 93 excl.
110mm od R 102 excl.
125 mm od R 110 excl.
Old Thu 24 July 2008, 05:08
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Those JOKERS took my name and number and promised to phone back.....they have to phone their suppliers he said.... still waiting.
Old Sun 27 July 2008, 12:34
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Ok Ok I know it is not the right stuff, but for now the price was right and it works ok for me.

After a lot of promises and inflated prices for dust pipes I got hold of this Alu. type AIR DUCT pipe...10 meters for R 57.00 + Vat. Went to Hardware Centre and got a Alu. Blast Gate..stripped this thing in 2 and fitted the one half to my dust foot. What a pleasure to be able to sit and watch BBB do it's thing without a dust mask.

The round THING my wife got hold of and painted it. These are little thing that I play with to get to grips with design / cutter setup. Quickly learned that a simple circle design with only single lines can produce different patterns when you use different cutters and different depth setting.

IMG00370.jpg

IMG00371.jpg

IMG00373.jpg
Old Sun 27 July 2008, 13:24
Alan_c

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Nice going Kobus, not sure what kind of life you will get out of that pipe, the wall is very thin and the dust is quite abrasive. Have you tried Austro, they have a big range in stock, the price is not cheap (Swiss manufacture) but I can assure you the quality is very good. I tried various "cheap" options in the factory, but I spent my time replacing lengths regularly, the Swiss one outlasts the others by up to 6 times longer (should last you until second retirement...)
Old Sun 27 July 2008, 22:57
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Thanks Alan, As this is not a production machine I hope that this stuff will last a while until I make some money and buy the proper pipe....but for this price, I can replace a few of these lengths.
Old Sun 27 July 2008, 23:56
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Kobus, we ran 110mm "rigid" sewerage pipe until above the center of the table, and then dropped only about 3m of the flexible expensive stuff down. We get blockages when there are thin long offcuts mixed with star-shaped scrap. Flipping the fan over reduced the kinks for blockages.

Old Mon 28 July 2008, 00:52
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
I had a plan like this as well, but what fitting did you use to join the 110mm rigid PVC pipe to the 100 mm flex. pipe or is your flex pipe also 110 mm?
I don't have enough room between BBB and my roof, and made an arm that swing from left to right following the gantry as it travels up and down the X - axis..still need to put some curtain rail on this swing arm to take up the slack when I get closer to the wall with the Z-Car.
Old Mon 28 July 2008, 01:51
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
The 100mm flex pipe fits inside the 110mm socket, with some filler/sealer goo, and the two wires you see to take the strain off the joint.
Old Tue 29 July 2008, 11:58
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Just BECAUSE I CAN.......

IMG00375.jpg
Old Tue 29 July 2008, 12:34
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Vryf dit in ! ( rub it in ).
Seems like this is a challenge?
Old Wed 30 July 2008, 04:20
Jason Marsha
Just call me: Jason

B'Town
Barbados
Kobus,
There is a free program on cnczone called spiro that will allow you to create swirls and more complex designs similar to your picture if you are interested.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Today's Posts