MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Archives
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old Mon 28 April 2008, 12:45
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Makes no difference - I'll fix it one day.
Old Sat 03 May 2008, 07:51
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
The extra lengths added at the ends of the rail, that the skate needs to ride on, so that the correct usable/ground length of rail is obtained, becomes 160mm [6.3"] on the one end and 40mm [1.6"] on the other end. The notes on drawing M1 10 110 M need to be revised.
Old Sat 03 May 2008, 23:25
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Add note to 1010302S to state that the length of the cross support is NOT the finished width of the table.
Old Sun 04 May 2008, 01:45
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Hi Gerald, Why different lengths on the two ends as in post 41 ? When I grinded the y-rail I put the skate on the rail and grind NORTH. Then I turn the skate 180 and grind the other side SOUTH. To me I needed the same length both sides to grind the rail... or am I missing something here...is the another way to grind rails ? Just checking
Old Sun 04 May 2008, 02:14
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
At the moment, the drawings only show 100mm [4"] extra per end. That assumes an un-tipped skate. When the skate gets tipped, it gets complicated if the rails are already cut to the current drawing dimensions. The post showed the factors to think of when the skate gets tipped and you could go 160 + 40 instead of 100 + 100.....but you have to "hou kop" (keep your head).

Future drawings will add 350mm to the rails' length.
Old Thu 05 June 2008, 10:47
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Problem reported with gas spring length:

http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=755
Old Fri 06 June 2008, 07:18
lunaj76
Just call me: Justin #24

Littleton, (Colorado)
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to lunaj76
Cutting rails to 1.1 with grind head top plate.

We ordered 2.5X1.5X.25 angle for the rails instead of the recommended 2.5X2.5X.25. Reason: only 1.725 of working height between bottom of grind head top plate and work surface (grinder is Bosch 1710). By using 2.5X1.5X.25 you get more life out of the cut wheel because the uncut rail will completely slide under the bottom of the grind head top plate. Am I making any sense? We used the pferd cut wheels and only used a few wheels cutting 40' of rail to height.

Justin
Old Fri 06 June 2008, 09:44
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Please help me out here . . . . .

Where are people getting the idea that they must use a 2.5 x 2.5 angle to cut down? I need to correct this perception right at its source, but I cannot find the source. (Drawing M1 10 110 is silent on this, and that is probably a mistake - at minimum I have to add a note over there.)
Old Fri 06 June 2008, 10:00
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Gerald,

Please notify the Excel Drawing Monitor if you make changes to the drawings.

Thanks
Old Fri 06 June 2008, 10:07
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
It will be quite a while before I tackle a drawing revision again. Folk should keep an eye on this thread and pencil relevant remarks onto their drawing set. This thread is my sole list of drawing revisions to be made - I look at nothing else. That's why I am a little miffed that my request to mention something in this thread was ignored - at that time I couldn't get the weird Norwegian keyboard and OS to make a link for me.
Old Fri 06 June 2008, 23:14
lunaj76
Just call me: Justin #24

Littleton, (Colorado)
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to lunaj76
Gerald,

It is not stated on the drawing what angle to use. Only that one leg be 2.5. I assumed that since the other builders were using the drop off piece for the clamp strip, that was the way to do it with the taller angle.
Old Sat 07 June 2008, 00:14
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Justin, you are right, there has always been a notion/discussion about using the off-cut for the clamp strip. But I have never been encouraged by this thrift/recycling. That off-cut is a nasty piece of metal - while it is theoretically rectangular, one corner is small radius, another corner is big radius, while the remaining two are sharp and need rounding over. That's too much work / too ugly for me and I rather use fresh pieces of standard flat bar.
Old Wed 11 June 2008, 04:48
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
In the "OptionSchedule" spreadsheet, zipped with dxf's, X-motor lug should read Z-motor lug.
Old Thu 12 June 2008, 23:31
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
I ordered a set of laser cut & bend parts yesterday, and I tweaked the design of 2 parts. Nothing drastic. See "Downloads" page.
Old Fri 13 June 2008, 11:26
dmoore
Just call me:

Also extending the lower x-axis cable chain brackets would be very helpful:

http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showt...1&postcount=29

One could debate that if you purchase a cable chain with a tight enough radius, this isn't an issue but there isn't any "loss" to making the top of the brackets longer, it only pushes the mounting point up on the beam:

http://www.mechmate.com/forums/attac...1115934 1.jpg
Old Fri 13 June 2008, 13:18
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Thanks David - will do.
Old Sat 14 June 2008, 23:35
dmoore
Just call me:

10 40 386 - Z Spring Anchor

Can we add 10 40 386 Z spring anchor to the laser cut parts list? Seems odd that isn't not already there.
Old Sun 15 June 2008, 00:07
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
A perennial question. I will add it as an option to avoid the question again.
(My stock answer is that you make that part from a bit of scrap cheaper than a laser cutter. That's what we do at my "day" job - tiny parts like that mess with a bigger order from a laser cutter. They get lost/damaged between the bigger parts)
Old Tue 17 June 2008, 04:18
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Here is a complete new set of profiles & bends - will the beady-eyed folk tell me if it is safe to put into the "official" downloads page Must apologise in advance that it was done in a rush between other stuff.
Old Fri 27 June 2008, 03:03
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Serious warning for laser cutters and benders: Part 1060215 has been revised with longer legs in the cutting (P) drawing. This drawing also shows the engraving of the bend positions. However, the bending version (B) of that drawing does not show the longer legs yet. Bending as per the older (but current) B drawing will be incorrect. Bending must be done on the laser engrave, 100mm from the tips.
Closed Thread

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read