MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Construction started, but not cutting yet
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Tue 13 November 2007, 08:52
Bernhard
Just call me: Bernhard

Rougemont, North Carolina
United States of America
One more MechMate starting - North Carolina, USA

Hello,
after lurking for quite a while and dilligently reading most every thread, it's time to build my own MM.
I had started to build a router from scratch before I found this site. Since I wasn't very far along, I thought it to be wise to quit and follow a workable and proven disign. This site and the design is by far superior to everything else I found on the web. Most other designs are either hobby outfit or unworkable.
Most materials acquired sofar (stepper, drives, enclosure, etc) will work fine with the MM. So other than some steel, not much is lost.

So, just placed the order for the steel to be picked up next week. Luckily a friend of mine works at one of the local steel warehouses, so I get the steel at a very competitive cost.

This project will go a bit slow, since I am still building my house at the same time. BUT the important thing is that my shop is finished and pretty well equiped, just missing the CNC router.

Cheers,
Bernhard
Old Tue 13 November 2007, 14:28
cbboatworks
Just call me: Gene

Wilmington NC
United States of America
Welcome Bernhard

What part of NC are you from?

After looking at your profile I see where from. I am from Durham. I made the move to Carolina Beach about 8 yrs ago, I was up your way a few weeks ago picking up Metal at a Salvage yard on Cheek Rd. If you need it they more than likely have it. so take a ride out that way and take a look.I picked up my control box from them for around $12.00. they sell Aluminum stock for $1.40 pound also they sell steel for $.30 a pound. let me know if I can help with anything. Good luck with you build.

cbboatworks@aol.com

Last edited by cbboatworks; Tue 13 November 2007 at 14:44..
Old Sat 17 November 2007, 06:39
Bernhard

United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbboatworks View Post
Welcome Bernhard

What part of NC are you from?

After looking at your profile I see where from. I am from Durham. I made the move to Carolina Beach about 8 yrs ago, I was up your way a few weeks ago picking up Metal at a Salvage yard on Cheek Rd. If you need it they more than likely have it. so take a ride out that way and take a look.I picked up my control box from them for around $12.00. they sell Aluminum stock for $1.40 pound also they sell steel for $.30 a pound. let me know if I can help with anything. Good luck with you build.

cbboatworks@aol.com
Gene,

I actually live out in the country, about 25 miles outside Durham, but my day job is in Durham.
And yes, I just found out about the Cheek Road salvage place. I stopped by last week on my way home from work, but it was about to close. The owner let me look around until he locked up. Need to stop by next week and load up!

BTW, have you built or are you building a MM? And if so can I take a peek at it?

Cheers,

Bernhard
Old Mon 24 December 2007, 05:08
J.R. Hatcher
Just call me: J.R. #4

Wilmington, North Carolina
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to J.R. Hatcher
Bernhard, I have my MM well under way so if your in the Wilmington, NC area you would be welcome to stop by and see it. My tele # is 9106869850. J.R.
Old Thu 27 December 2007, 17:52
Bernhard

United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Hatcher View Post
Bernhard, I have my MM well under way so if your in the Wilmington, NC area you would be welcome to stop by and see it. My tele # is 9106869850. J.R.
JR,
Thank you for your offer.. I will take you up on it. I have been following your progress; you do excellent work!

Havn't had a chance to work much on my router, but have acquired more parts (Gecko 203V, PS, igus chains etc).

Cheers,
Bernhard
Old Fri 28 December 2007, 15:11
cbboatworks
Just call me: Gene

Wilmington NC
United States of America
bernhard

I was over at Jr's on Thursday and his machine is absolutely amazing. if you get a Chance drive to Wilmington take him up on the offer. after seeing his machine again I am back and ready to start building.

Gene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernhard View Post
JR,
Thank you for your offer.. I will take you up on it. I have been following your progress; you do excellent work!

Havn't had a chance to work much on my router, but have acquired more parts (Gecko 203V, PS, igus chains etc).

Cheers,
Bernhard

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read