MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Structure & Mechanics > 50. Toolheads
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sat 11 April 2009, 23:23
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
The current setting on the VFD is a current limit. The VFD cannot pump that current unless there is a load (or fault) on the motor. The setting value is the most that the VFD would be willing supply under load (or fault) conditions.

If you were heavily loading the spindle and the VFD limit was set too high, then you may have overloaded the motor and the VFD did not limit you. That is not claimable under warranty. If you loaded the spindle and did not have a cooling system running, that also isn't claimable under warranty.

However, if you had simply connected for the first time, and switched on with no load, I guess only a faulty motor winding would create the smoke. The VFD current setting doesn't help in the case of faulty windings.
Old Sun 12 April 2009, 01:17
dacostad
Just call me: David

Los Angeles
United States of America
It turns out that unless you set the VFD to more than 100hz the fan on the air cooled does not start. I had left it at 50Hz to start figuring it did not matter for first test, but I was wrong and it overheated in minutes.

As far as I can see the manual does not say anything about this.

Anyway I am sending it back to the seller and he is sending me a new one.

David
Old Sun 12 April 2009, 04:34
WFY
Just call me: Buzz #60

Pembroke, Ontario
Canada
VFD settings

I just did the same thing. The settings that have to match the motor Hz rating on the Huanyang VFD HY02D223B are
PD003 Main Frequency 0.00~400.00 Hz set to 400.00
PD004 Base Frequency 0.01~400.00 Hz set to 400.00
PD005 Max Operating Frequency 50.00~400.00 Hz set to 400.00
to match the rating on the 2.2Kw spindle. I changed these to this setting and the spindle runs up fine. My concern is that the VFD is rated at 50Hz +/- 5Hz on the primary side and North America is 60Hz. Electronics may be ok with this. Maybe someone with more knowledge can shed some light on this. The supplier is going to replace the spindle for me as well.
Old Sun 12 April 2009, 21:36
waynec
Just call me: Wayne from White Salmon

White Salmon, WA
United States of America
Smoke? Dang!

That smoke is supposed to stay inside the spindle. I hope you can get it replace, and I really hope it wasn't something I advised you to do, or left out of my advice.

Here's some info on how to connect the speed control to your VFD.

The VFD needs two things in order for Mach 3 to control speed.
1) ON/Off and/or direction control. The M3 command in Mach 3 outputs a voltage on a pin you specify in Ports/Pins. This voltage triggers the relay on the C6/C11 board. When this relay is engaged, it completes the circuit in the VFD that turns the spindle on. The VFD provides a 24V source on the DRV terminal. So, connect 24V from the DRV terminal to the C11 relay terminal for CW, and then connect the relay teminal to the FOR terminal on the VFD. This will allow Mach 3 to turn the spindle off and on in the CW direction.

2) Speed control- the C11 should provide a 0-10V output controlled by Mach 3. If you need help getting this setup let me know. If you have the 0-10V you need, you just connect this output from the C11 board to the VI terminal on the VFD. Verify that this is positive voltage in the range from 0-10V, and that it changes when you change speed in your control software.

You may also have to change the program settings for control of the VFD. Mine defaults to manual speed control from the VFD panel. To use the VI input you'll need to program the VFD to accept speed control from the VI input. I think this is PD001, and the setting is likely to be 1, external terminals.

This should get the speed control working. You'll need to adjust the trim pot on the C11 board so that the max speed on your spindle happens at 10V. Just use the software to set speed to the max, maybe 22K rpm or whatever. At this max speed, adjust the trimpot so that the voltage out is 10V.

If you need help getting the software to give the correct signals for speed control let me know.

Good luck with this!

Wayne C
Old Mon 13 April 2009, 07:51
dacostad

Los Angeles
United States of America
Thanks Wayne.

Yes they are cross shipping me a new one, I also ordered the 2.2Kw water cooled version so I will need to make a new mount for that.

Here is the mount I made for the 1.5kw air cooled version
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1674.jpg (61.4 KB, 1881 views)
Old Mon 13 April 2009, 17:17
waynec

White Salmon, WA
United States of America
Daviid
Your spindle mount is a thing of beauty. Did you cut that yourself? My CNC is not stout enough to cut alum (at least I'm to chicken to try it). I cut one out of phenolic, and before long I'll install that. It should work. I keep a list of upgrade ideas, and when things slow down I work on the CNC upgrades.

Are you using Mach 3? Do you need help gettting this set up to work with your spindle?

But I do know how to get Mach 3 configured for the VFD, and I'm happy to help.

W
Old Mon 13 April 2009, 19:02
dacostad

Los Angeles
United States of America
Hi Wayne,

Yes I cut it myself using my highly modified Sherline Mill.

I may well need your help with the Mach 3 setup so any information will be gratefully accepted.

David
Old Sat 02 May 2009, 15:03
dacostad

Los Angeles
United States of America
Having now got my 2.2kw spindle running okay, I am now working on interfacing the speed and on/off control to Mach 3.

First I am working on the speed, I have set and confirmed that I am getting 10v out of the analog connection on my CNC4PC C11 card and it responds to changeing the spindle speed on Mach 3, however when I connect it to the VFD with the 0-10v going to the VI connector and the ground going to the ACM connector and setting PD002 to 1, I get no change in speed. Have I connected it wrong to the VFD or is there other settings in the VFD I have to change?

Thanks

David
Old Mon 04 May 2009, 13:10
waynec

White Salmon, WA
United States of America
Well congrats on getting to this point. You are really pretty close to being ready to roll.

I don't have the manual PDF anymore, so I can't really tell you if any other programming needs to be changed. Point me to the pdf and I'll take a look.

But you might back up a step and see if the VFD can vary its speed without the speed control. By that I mean, if you test the speed control at the VFD with a potentiometer and it varies the speed, you'll know that the connections are correct, and that the speed control circuitry is OK.

If I recall from the manual when I read it, the VFD wants a 10K variable resistor to control speed. But I can't recall what terminals provide the voltage. In your manual the diagram that shows the connections to the VFD will show the VC input for the voltage speed control input. It will show a common for that circuit. It should also show a terminal that supplies 10 or 12 V. That's where you get the voltage to use with the variable resistor (sorry, potentiometer). Connect the variable resistor so that the center terminal provides a POSITIVE voltage that varies when you turn the knob. This is what connects to the VC input. If that works, I bet you its something to do with either the spindle ON OFF circuit, or there is some other programming switch we need to throw.

Onward! If you can point me to the manual, I'll try to be more helpful.

Wayne
Old Wed 14 July 2010, 04:33
renraku
Just call me: renraku

rome
Italy
spindle speed control wiring PMDX-122

Hi, i need of a suggestion: what is the correct wiring from PMDX-122 to the inverter, is mach3 that changes speed to the spindle ?
Old Mon 19 July 2010, 10:26
liaoh75

Taibao
Taiwan
Hi Renraku, There is a relay on the PMDX-122 that will switch on the router. It will switch up to 10A if I remember correctly. I use it to tell my inverter to power on my Chinese spindle. The PMDX-122 itself does not regulate the speed. You will need to acquire a separate circuit for speed control through Mach. It will mimic the 0-10v to your inverter or VFD. I was about to go that route, but ended up going with a variable resister so I can dial in the correct speed by ear. It works much better for me. Look at your VFD manual to set this. You will need to buy the correct potentiometer or variable resister for the application. The specs should be in your VFD manual. Good luck Renraku!
Old Tue 20 July 2010, 10:43
renraku
Just call me: renraku

rome
Italy
thanks
Old Wed 11 August 2010, 05:39
joepardy
Just call me: Joe

Lebanon, OH
United States of America
Waynec,

Following up on your connections to the c6 board, can you clarify for me the exact connection to the speed control. The analog output connection on the C6 is labeled GND and 0-10V. On the VFD, I connect the 0-10V to VI. Is the GND side connected to ACM? Please advise. THANKS
Old Fri 24 September 2010, 13:20
joepardy
Just call me: Joe

Lebanon, OH
United States of America
Update

Update:

For those that are interested, I thought I would post my spindle setup and some of the problems that I ran into. I am converting from a Milwaukee router to a spindle, but because it is a production system, I have to do a lot of testing before I can do the final installation. As of right this minute, I have not mounted the spindle or connected the water-cooling so I cannot test for any signal interference. I have tested the wiring, electrical connections, VFD, and spindle From what I can tell, they are operating correctly.

I have attached a PDF drawing showing the connections between the VFD, Spindle and the control boards. On my system, I am using a PMDX-122 to drive a CNC4PC C6 board to control the Spindle On relay as well as controlling the speed.

I purchased the Keling KL-VFD22 VFD and KL-2200 Spindle – but from everything that I read, it is identical to the Huanyang HY02D223B VFD and 2.2KW Chinese Spindle.

I hate to admit it, but the first problem that I had with the VFD was providing the proper power. I used a 240V Single Phase double pole breaker, wired it to an EMI filter, passed it through a 2-pole switch and connected it to the R & S leads of the VFD. Flipped the power on and nothing happened. I tested the power and it appeared to be correct (120VAC between each hot and the neutral). But, upon further examination, I found that on my breaker box, the 120 hot legs are not in alternating positions. Occasionally, the same 120 circuit is located in consecutive slots … so instead of supplying 240 VAC, I was supplying two identical 120VAC circuits. Moved the breaker down a slot and the VFD powered up.

I used a shielded 4 conductor #12 wire (wrapped around and through a 5” ferrite toroidial core) between the VFD and spindle. However, I soon found that the wire was too large to solder to the spindle fitting. So, I soldered a short #18 gauge pigtail to the spindle fitting and used a terminal block to splice the cables together. As a side note, Keling informed me that a #16 or #18 gauge wire is adequate between the VFD and spindle.

Setting up the VFD introduced a new set of problems. With regards to the PDxxx parameters, I only changed a few of the factory defaults. The factory sets PD004 (base spindle frequency) & PD005 (maximum spindle frequency) to 50Hz. The 2.2Kw spindle is 400 Hz so those two parameters had to be changed. The VFD uses external control (0-10V) to control the speed with 0=OFF and 10=24,000rpm. However, when I hooked everything up, my spindle ran at only about 10% of the rated speed when controlled by the CNC4PC board. It ran at rated speed when the settings were put directly into the VFD. I verified the voltage of the control signals and did not find any issues.

After an extensive amount of reading and testing, I came upon parameter PD072 that is labeled in the manual as “Higher Analog Frequency”. It turns out that this parameter controls the range that the 0-10V control voltage operates in. So, if it is set to 50Hz (the default), then when the voltage is +10V, the frequency is set to 50Hz. Once I changed the parameter to 400Hz, the spindle operated correctly within 0-400Hz range.

I included the PDxxx parameters that I changed on the wiring diagram.

Well, that’s it for now … hopefully someone else will find this information helpful.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Spindle Wiring Diagram.pdf (559.6 KB, 291 views)
Old Wed 29 September 2010, 10:09
Kenrbass
Just call me: Ken

Richmond Tx
United States of America
Joe, thanks for the info.

I have one comming with the same stlye fvd.

I went with the 3kw air cooled, but the vfd looks identical. Waiting for ups. lol
Old Sat 31 December 2011, 21:30
AdamHeard
Just call me: AdamHeard

SLO
United States of America
Sorry to bring up such an old thread, but I'm having trouble with the same 2.2 kW keling spindle.

When we try to start it, it just stutters and won't move. If we flick it during this time it will spin up to full speed and operate properly. It's just not starting correctly.

Andy advise?
Old Sun 01 January 2012, 00:47
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
keling can't provide you tech support?
Old Sun 01 January 2012, 11:30
bradm
Just call me: Brad #10

Somerville(MA)
United States of America
That's a classic symptom of a three phase motor that is only receiving two phases. I'm surprised you aren't getting a VFD fault. Disconnect at the spindle, and check the continuity of the three phases at the spindle - you should get the same ohm reading across each of the three possible pairs of the three wires. If that passes, the spindle is okay, so reconnect at the spindle, and do the same check with the wires disconnected at the VFD, where you will probably find one wire that doesn't run through.
Old Sun 01 January 2012, 11:46
AdamHeard

SLO
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradm View Post
That's a classic symptom of a three phase motor that is only receiving two phases. I'm surprised you aren't getting a VFD fault. Disconnect at the spindle, and check the continuity of the three phases at the spindle - you should get the same ohm reading across each of the three possible pairs of the three wires. If that passes, the spindle is okay, so reconnect at the spindle, and do the same check with the wires disconnected at the VFD, where you will probably find one wire that doesn't run through.
To understand you correctly, you're saying measure continuity to see that U, V and W are properly connected?
Old Sun 01 January 2012, 12:02
bradm
Just call me: Brad #10

Somerville(MA)
United States of America
Actually, disconnect U,V,W, and measure the pairs of wires. If the resistance doesn't match (or likely, you find one wire that measures open), you know you have a problem. You want to confirm that the problem doesn't exist inside the spindle casing (in the windings), in which case the spindle is toast.
Old Sun 01 January 2012, 12:10
AdamHeard

SLO
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradm View Post
Actually, disconnect U,V,W, and measure the pairs of wires. If the resistance doesn't match (or likely, you find one wire that measures open), you know you have a problem. You want to confirm that the problem doesn't exist inside the spindle casing (in the windings), in which case the spindle is toast.
So measure the resistance of each input pin of the spindle to ground on the spindle, or measure the resistance between of all the possible pair combinations of the three input pins?
Old Sun 01 January 2012, 12:44
timberlinemd
Just call me: Steve #66

Arizona
United States of America
Do both. If you have continuity to ground in any of the pins your spindel is toast.
Old Sun 01 January 2012, 13:53
AdamHeard

SLO
United States of America
Thanks for your help!

When checking resistance is became clear that it was initially wired wrong. The numbered connector provided with the spindle had numbers that were incorrect. I wired U,V and W to what I determined were the three proper legs w/ my meter and it runs great.

BTW, are these 2 or 4 pole motors?
Old Sun 01 January 2012, 16:08
IN-WondeR
Just call me: Kim

Randers
Denmark
A good thing that I stumbled across this thread, otherwise I would have mounted my 0-10V speed control wrong to the VFD...
Old Sun 01 January 2012, 20:31
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
2-pole motors

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read