MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Electrical & Electronic > 702. Power Supplies
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Wed 09 January 2008, 14:54
bradyaero
Just call me: Greg #19

Smiths Falls, Ontario
Canada
Power supply for the PMDX-122 Parallel breakout board - 9V AC from main transformer

The 9v ac is for the pmdx-122. I'd like to get a coil with that tap included if possible.

Thanks, Greg
Old Wed 09 January 2008, 22:11
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
We have just wound a couple of coils of insulated wire onto(through?) the main toroidal transformer to get the 9V. It is so simple that I am kicking myself for having bought a special small 9V transformer in the first place.
Old Fri 18 January 2008, 17:08
GregA
Just call me: Greg

Dundee MI
United States of America
My plan was to power the PMDX-122 with the USB port. Take a surplus USB cable, isolate the power wires and polarity, and tie them into the 5 volt output on the antek power supply. Then plug the USB into the PMDX-122. I have powered other devices this way in the past. Watch my thread, and see if it works. I should be performing a simulation in the next couple of days.
Old Sat 19 January 2008, 05:34
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Hey ya'll.
When I ordered my transformer the 600W, 56V I also ordered the 12V and 5V taps with it. No real cost difference. I paid 150$ with shipping. The hope was that I could have the ability to change out to the NCpod after a while if necessary and have the right voltages available. Also, the 12V helps due to the PLC or Programmable relays require 12 to 28 Volts for operation.
Just my 2 cents.
Old Sun 20 January 2008, 20:59
bradyaero

Smiths Falls, Ontario
Canada
Can you use a 12v tap with the 9v PMDX-122?

Gerald's idea sounds great if it's just a few wraps of wire to get the 9v. The idea of powering up with a USB port is also interesting if that can work out.

Thanks, Greg
Old Sun 20 January 2008, 22:47
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
What I don't like about the powering to the USB port, with a cable from the PC, is the fact that there has to be another cable from the PC to the control box. Also, I am nervous that this could introduce some "ground loops".
Old Mon 21 January 2008, 06:21
GregA

Dundee MI
United States of America
I am connecting the usb cable to the 5v lead from the Antek power supply. Only thing for me right now is... I think I know the polarity coming off of the Antek, but I'm not 100% certain, and the PMDX-122 seems like the type of device that would give off magic smoke if connected with the wrong polarity.

I also agree, just wrapping some wire around the transformer until it reads 9 volts is ingenious.
Old Mon 21 January 2008, 06:28
J.R. Hatcher
Just call me: J.R. #4

Wilmington, North Carolina
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to J.R. Hatcher
"I also agree, just wrapping some wire around the transformer until it reads 9 volts is ingenious."

CAUTION Until this is fed through a bridge rectifier it is AC current.
Old Mon 21 January 2008, 06:43
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
AC Power is accepted by the PMDX-122 - no rectifier needed:

Clipboard01.gif
Old Mon 21 January 2008, 09:15
GregA

Dundee MI
United States of America
Gosh, if the 9v input takes AC, less risk of releasing the magic smoke if I connect it that way...
Old Mon 21 January 2008, 10:07
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Here is the AC, direct from a transformer, connected to our PMDX-122:

The actual AC voltage is higher than 9V, but Steve Stallings of PMDX was happy with it - explained in the PMDX-122 thread.
Old Wed 13 February 2008, 11:51
bradyaero

Smiths Falls, Ontario
Canada
I wrapped 18 turns of #24 around my torroidal and got 7.6v AC from it. Great idea Gerald!
Old Wed 13 February 2008, 12:41
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
So you are getting 0.422 volts per turn. 21 turns will give you 9Volt

Other transformers will be different. It is a simple case of wrapping some turns, measuring the voltage per turn, and then calculating how many more/less turns to make.
Old Mon 01 December 2008, 09:56
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Magnet wire is the right stuff to wrap around the transformer.

An economical buy from Radioshack: three small spools (Use the 22 gauge for 1 amp)

Can also be purchased from McMaster-Carr but you will have plenty left over due to their spool sizes.
Old Mon 01 December 2008, 15:00
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
If anyone needs some magnet wire in North America, just let me know and I can send you a sample to do your winding.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read