MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Structure & Mechanics > 50. Toolheads
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sun 24 June 2012, 17:53
litemover
Just call me: Chris

Auckland
New Zealand
Need spindle that can work in 2 countries

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post here, so thank you for this incredible bevy of information.

I live and work in 2 countries, US and NZ, and so I'm trying to figure out the best way to economically keep either 2 machines, or 2 shells of machines, one in each country, taking the guts to the other machine when I leave. I cut a lot of wood and MDF, at high production levels, with high detail and need power, speed, accuracy.

I'm in the market for a CNC machine, hopefully something closed loop, at least 4x8, possibly larger table. But was wondering, what would be my best option if I wanted to port my spindle back and forth?

What would be an ideal spindle to use that I could change the voltage on? Also, would need something that could get to 24000 r/m at the least, quite reliably. Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Chris
Old Mon 25 June 2012, 13:37
danilom
Just call me: Danilo #64

Novi Sad
Serbia
I can't imagine dismantling the spindle and VFD all the time and carrying it with airplane (spindle 5kg, VFD 1-2kg).

Everyone have been happy with the value/price of chinese spindles but I have to recommend the water cooled 2.2kw or 3kw (depending on your application) one from Deitech, but for the VFD you should get some of the name brands (Hitachi, Omron, Yaskawa, Delta etc...)
Old Mon 25 June 2012, 20:59
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Just get a Main transformer 3 times the spindle rated power & install on the machine which doesn't match the spindle voltage requirement.

You still get to haul 3~5kg worth of metal across all major oceans.

"at high production levels, with high detail and need power, speed, accuracy. "

a 5kw water cool spindle should do the job for you. that is 6~8 kg.
Old Mon 25 June 2012, 22:49
litemover

Auckland
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenC View Post
Just get a Main transformer 3 times the spindle rated power & install on the machine which doesn't match the spindle voltage requirement.

You still get to haul 3~5kg worth of metal across all major oceans.

"at high production levels, with high detail and need power, speed, accuracy. "

a 5kw water cool spindle should do the job for you. that is 6~8 kg.
Thanks for the advice. So there is no transformer that would autoswitch?
Chris
Old Mon 25 June 2012, 22:52
litemover

Auckland
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by danilom View Post
I can't imagine dismantling the spindle and VFD all the time and carrying it with airplane (spindle 5kg, VFD 1-2kg).

Everyone have been happy with the value/price of chinese spindles but I have to recommend the water cooled 2.2kw or 3kw (depending on your application) one from Deitech, but for the VFD you should get some of the name brands (Hitachi, Omron, Yaskawa, Delta etc...)
Which Chinese spindle is the best one?

Chris
Old Tue 26 June 2012, 00:44
danilom
Just call me: Danilo #64

Novi Sad
Serbia
I am running DTS-23 for 1.5 years, no problems yet.
http://driver-motor.com/ProductContent.aspx?ID=58
Bearings seem to be much better than in some ebay ones. Friend bought from lovehappyshopping. His spindle sounds different...rough and louder, and the nut is out of ballance. At 18.000 rpm the whole machine vibrates and sings. Maybe thats just because of crappy Huanyang vfd... stay away from those.

As much I like 2.2kw one as it can be run from single phase VFD, the 3 or more kW should be considered for production work just like Ken said.
Old Tue 26 June 2012, 05:33
bolingerbe
Just call me: Bryan #54

Clinton(Tennessee)
United States of America
I would have to agree with Danilo on the Huanyang VFD. I had a lot of interference issues with mine, and after a long amount of trouble shooting I changed to a Hitachi and all my problems went away. I was getting interference induced into my limit switches and it was causing me E-Stops with no reason. I had tried all different types of shielding, grounding and isolation but nothing worked. Some have had success with the Huanyang VFD, but for the money I would not go down that path.
Old Tue 26 June 2012, 05:55
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
No problem with my Huangyang VFD. I operate it manually. Even use another unit to control my air compressor.

PS, not that it is 100% perfect, they have very poor touch pad which I'd replaced twice over already...
Old Wed 27 June 2012, 04:02
David Bryant
Just call me: David #99

Western Australia
Australia
I am also running the Lovehappy shopping (Huangyang?) VFD and spindle. No brands on either.
When this first ran it was like a sewing machine, rough!
Once I had a solid earth on it (Not relying on earthing through V rollers and Aluminium mount) and had tightened the Z axis spider V bearings, all six, as tight as I could and get the Z moving still. It now runs very smoothly.
I regularly check that I can not turn the V rollers by hand on my Z axis.
I would not set up this every six months, I would get one for each site.
Old Wed 27 June 2012, 13:33
litemover

Auckland
New Zealand
Cool, thanks for the info. I'll check Huangyang and see what he has to offer. Hopefully it won't take long to get it and I get a good one! Does it make sense to get a tool changing spindle?
Old Thu 28 June 2012, 06:58
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Just manage your expectation. For the money...

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read