MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Introduce yourself and start planning
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Thu 17 December 2009, 02:48
JAG
Just call me: James

Sussex
United Kingdom
Hello, everyone!

I'm a computer programmer turned furniture finisher and cabinetmaker based in Sussex, England. My intention is to bring our operation into the 21st Century by automating some of the cabinet making tasks we undertake. The MechMate I will build will principally be used for cutting cabinet parts from sheets (MDF or jointed pine panels), drilling holes, and adding housings and rebates. Naturally, I expect to want to try some more adventurous operations later.

To assist me while familiarising myself with the MechMate plans I added hyperlinks into the PDF documents to link each drawing number reference with its associated drawing. This allowed me to 'drill-down' to sub-assembly drawings easily and greatly reduced the time I spent absorbing the design. I also did not need to print any paper copies.

As a small introductory offering to your considerable and excellent project - so I don't come empty handed to the party, so to speak - I would like to submit these documents for your approval. They may assist others as they helped me.

Gerald, would you like to review them? If so, please, let me know how to get them to you.
Old Thu 17 December 2009, 07:55
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Welcome James, and thanks for the offer. My e-mail is gerald at mechmate dot com.
Old Thu 17 December 2009, 11:26
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
James, I have attached your file to your post above.

My first impresson is that it is a huge file (some of the forum users are on dial-up) and is "high-maintence" to get links to the right places.

What do the others say?
Old Thu 17 December 2009, 11:38
JAG
Just call me: James

Sussex
United Kingdom
I agree the file is quite large when posted as a zipped archive, but posted as individual PDF files, like the plan files in the download section, the files would be no bigger than those downloaded by people at the moment.

Each file on my system is actually a little smaller than its corresponding file in the download section - I guess this is because I told Acrobat to optimise the saving process.
Old Mon 21 December 2009, 06:13
shaper
Just call me: Jed

Perth, WA
Australia
I agree, probably fairly high maintenance to keep updating the hyperlinks but really useful. I've been using these file to put together my steel order and has saved me heaps of time, thanks.
Old Mon 21 December 2009, 07:03
Greeny
Just call me: Greeny

The North
United Kingdom
Very useful and a huge timesaver if you are not very familiar with the drawings.
Thanks very much for taking the time to do this.
Size wise, if made available seperately the pdf's seem very similar to the originals.
I can appreciate this would add a large maintenance overhead if done on a ongoing basis though.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read