MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Computing, Software & Programming > 80. Computer Hardware & Software
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sat 26 July 2014, 12:49
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
Anti Virus Software for the Controller PC

I suspect that I may have a virus or malware on my controller PC as every time I plug the flash drive into my laptop after it has been plugged into the MM PC it does a scan and has to repair and remove some or other app that is on the flash drive - this takes quite some time and is becoming tiresome.

Can anybody recommend and "offline" anti virus program (preferably free) that I can install onto the flash drive to do a scan of the MM PC to hopefully find and remove whatever is placing this app onto the flashdrive. I dont want to install a permanent anti virus program onto the controller, and as it is not connected to the internet I cant install one directly?

Any advise? lets hear it...
Old Sat 26 July 2014, 13:38
ger21
Just call me: Ger

Detroit, MI
United States of America
Malware Bytes maybe? The problem is that whatever you choose will still want to connect to the internet to receive updates. As long as you're not running any browsers or email programs, being connected to a network with internet access shouldn't be an issue. My control PC is on my home network, and I just drop files onto it's shared drive from my main PC in the house. I never open a browser on it, and only run Mach3 and the occasional CAD/CAM programs. If you're not running a browser, you're risk of infection should be practically zero.

Last edited by ger21; Sat 26 July 2014 at 13:41..
Old Sat 26 July 2014, 13:55
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
I'm not so worried about getting infected, I just want to remove whatever is placing malware on the flash drive every time I install it. The machine has no network connection at all.
Old Sat 26 July 2014, 14:45
Fox
Just call me: Fox

Amsterdam
Netherlands
Use this: Spybot; Search and Destroy.
It should help you with a lot of the nasty stuff that could be on there.

Ps.
Ger, not using a browser does not keep you safe when you are connected to the internet. See how many vulnerabilities there in all kinds of software that you will be using on this PC ( including, and not the least your operating system ). And it's scary how many other attempts are blocked by a firewall ( hope you have one, check the logs ).
Old Sat 26 July 2014, 16:34
ger21
Just call me: Ger

Detroit, MI
United States of America
As I said, I don't use any software other than Mach3 and CAD software, and they don't access the internet. Neither does XP, if you have the appropriate things turned off.

My main PC that has a browser and email client running 12 hours a day almost never sees any detections in the anti virus software.

Yes, my PC is behind a Firewall (router), and everyone should use one. But if you do, I feel that you're pretty safe.
From what I see, most people get viruses from opening email attachments and clicking links in email.
Old Sat 26 July 2014, 18:06
Fox
Just call me: Fox

Amsterdam
Netherlands
Using Xp while connected to the internet is actually a kinda an issue already... as vulnerabilities are no longer patched and you are prone to attacks. Just balancing out the "all will be fine" suggestion for others, as I am sure you know what you are doing.
Old Sat 26 July 2014, 20:12
IMMark
Just call me: Mark #119

Columbus Ohio
United States of America
Just curious, have you tried another flash drive? Can't remember exactly, but I had a flash drive that had some files that I couldn't get rid of?
Mark
Old Sat 26 July 2014, 21:14
parrulho
Just call me: Paulo #108

willemstad
Netherlands Antilles
take a look at the link. I'm using it for years to protect USB memory.

http://www.zbshareware.com/

For scan your computer, maybe a portable antivirus? http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/fiv...-at-all-times/
Old Sat 26 July 2014, 22:57
pblackburn
Just call me: Pete #98

South-Central Pennsylvania
United States of America
I had ESET Nod32 installed on mine in the beginning while connected to the Internet. Machine ran fine. Had to move my USB WiFi antenna to another computer and eventually removed removed it since it was no longer connected. I would see no reason why you could not do an install to remove the threat and remove it afterward.
Old Sun 27 July 2014, 01:00
danilom
Just call me: Danilo #64

Novi Sad
Serbia
As other suggested my best bet is scan initially with Malwarebytes to clean up, for resident protection use ESET NOD if connected to internet.
Mine is on the internet but all the files are transferred using Dropbox from CAD/CAM computer which has a resident antivirus.
Old Sun 27 July 2014, 09:49
servant74
Just call me: Jack

Nashville (Tennessee)
United States of America
When I clean XP machines, I use Malware Bytes, then Spybot S&D, then eventually ccleaner.

I try to go to the sites where the maker keeps and distributes their software. Less likely someone will 'add a feature' that is normally more problems getting ready to happen ;-)

http://www.malwarebytes.org/ for Malware Bytes
http://www.safer-networking.org/dl/ for Spybot S&D
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner for CCleaner

When installing, READ the information on the screen. DO NOT install anything but the base product (no tool bars, fast browser things, etc).

All of these want to phone home and check for updates. After things are clean from the configuration that is initially downloaded, connecting and allowing them to update, disconnect, and scanning everything again is not a bad idea. But that is your choice.

For other folks I clean machines for, once things are clean (and I run it several times, install available updates, defrag in there somewhere), and do a backup before and after. Yes, I go overboard, and this is belts and suspenders. But many of the folks I help have no clue. And it takes me a couple of days if I am diligent (but I don't just sit and watch them run either).

I used to run regclean, but CCleaner seems to do a pretty decent job of cleaning up the registry.

Pay attention to what you are doing, and it isn't hard, just tedious. Make 'intelligent' guesses when you choose things to discard (meaning, think about the implications for your situation).

Best of luck!

(PS. this is why I run Linux (or other UNIX type system) whenever possible - it keeps down many of these issues (not all, but many) and I reduce my Micro$oft Tax for a stable operating environment.)

Last edited by servant74; Sun 27 July 2014 at 09:57.. Reason: forgot to say something
Old Wed 30 July 2014, 20:52
zumergido
Just call me: Fernando

BS AS
Argentina
conect only to internal network and share only a folder. do not configure dns and gateway just a internal ip.
you can copy files to your cnc from your desing pc more easy and virus can't infect gcode files.
allways keep your cnc machine clean. only cnc software. antivirus can affect your machine performance since they run on background
Old Thu 03 November 2016, 05:53
servant74
Just call me: Jack

Nashville (Tennessee)
United States of America
Basically, if you are networked, even sneakernet, you are vulnerable. The less connectivity, the more secure.

Even 'airgaped' machines are vulnerable because if they get information that is not generated by the machine on the machine, things can still happen.

Being realistic, none of us run totally un-connected machines. We still get our software from somewhere else, move files (even if on USB or 'floppy' or CD/DVDs) to the machine, there is still an opertunity for vulnerability. Yes, this is a totally paranoid view, but 'just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean "they" aren't after you!'.

For me, I update any working 'standalone' machine infrequently, still manuanually run antivirus or malware detection, and use USB or CDs to move software or data from other moderatly secure networked machines. ... Yes, my paranoids are up, but I try to be realistic. I do backups (3-2-1 on a regular basis). I keep my install media offline, and normally backups are only 'user data', not 'system data'.

I only do this because 35 years in the IT industry has beaten me into submission. I have been bit by not doing it, hard, before. So being as secure as my paranoid nature says is reasonable, isn't to secure for me. It well may be more than others are willing to buy into.

... Time to put on my tin-foil-hat and watch for black helicopters <grin>
Old Wed 24 February 2021, 17:27
thomasbaryy
Just call me: barry

New York
United States of America
It is right to some time turn of windows defender? Because my laptop is running to slowly. Is that for windows defender or not?
Old Mon 08 March 2021, 17:47
thomasbaryy
Just call me: barry

New York
United States of America
I am not getting any solution. I think I need to start a new thread. @thomasbarry

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read