MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Computing, Software & Programming > 80. Computer Hardware & Software
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sun 20 December 2009, 23:32
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
The single core Atom board you are talking about should be D945GCLF, it's max ram is 2Gig. I'm using a 8Gig thumb drive as hard drive, power consumption is below 35W with this set up... BUT I run EMC2, I use up about 2.4Gig for installing the Unbuntu OS & the EMC2 on the thumbdrive.

This board has plenty speed for running either Mech3 or EMC2.

Regarding the kernel speed, I'm in the learning process like you, but I'll have a crack at it. Please do not hasitate to point out my mistake, I won't learnt if I don't make mistakes.

Kernel speed is important for high speed machine. and this has many factors.
1stly how fast can you driver handles the control signal sequence. i.e. your step time, step space, direction hold time & direction setup. by the sequence timing of your stepper motor driver, step holding time go. add the maximum jitter period on top of the signal sequence period & you can determine the maximum speed the control+ driver system can handle.
2ndly, your max stepper motor speed & acceleration w/o slip.
Old Sun 27 December 2009, 14:26
ger21
Just call me: Ger

Detroit, MI
United States of America
Kernel speed is the number of steps/sec that Mach3 outputs. 25Khz = 25000 steps/second, for each axis.

Higher kernel speeds require more processing power. It's my understanding that most PC's are not capable of running at 100 Khz.

The recommendation from Artsoft has always been to run at the lowest kernel speed needed for your particular application. However, some users report better results at 35 or 45Khz than 25 Khz. It really depends on the PC, and some trial and error testing.
Old Fri 10 September 2010, 05:27
renraku
Just call me: renraku

rome
Italy
new laptop with adaptor

Could i work with a modern laptop, connect the old printer adaptor to USB port? Will Work good same or there are problems?Thanks
Old Fri 10 September 2010, 05:55
danilom
Just call me: Danilo #64

Novi Sad
Serbia
USB to LPT adapters dont work with MACH3
Old Fri 10 September 2010, 06:15
renraku

rome
Italy
thanks
Old Fri 10 September 2010, 10:27
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
...but you can buy a smooth stepper that allows for USB input and outputs to parallel.

Thus, a work around for some of the new breed of desktops without PCI slots or LPT ports.

Sean
Old Sat 01 January 2011, 09:23
renraku

rome
Italy
Laptop HP amd Athlon 64 3200 +

Hi, i have changed my desktop pc with laptop pc amd Athlon 64 3200 + and WINDOWS XP
but don't work, is it case-fault because CPU is an amd Athlon 64 ? (I 've sent by attachment laptop picture) Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pc hp.jpg (36.4 KB, 751 views)
Old Sat 01 January 2011, 09:28
danilom

Novi Sad
Serbia
OS in the picture does not look like windows xp, its vista or 7, maybe thats the problem? What exact problem do you have with mach3 or smoothstepper usb?
Old Sat 01 January 2011, 09:48
renraku

rome
Italy
OS system is Windows XP CPU amd Athlon 64 3200 +
printer port 25 pin, I haven't problem with desktop, working with HP picture laptop don't work, mach3 write: abnormal condition axis, and 3 red led of gecko drive are on, laptop working fine with other programs, is it a problem of amd 64 bit ? Thanks
Old Sat 01 January 2011, 16:49
riesvantwisk
Just call me: Ries #46

Quito
Ecuador
Send a message via MSN to riesvantwisk Send a message via Skype™ to riesvantwisk
Renraku,

the problem is the laptop. The issue is that a laptop tries to conserve as much as energy as possible. For this the industry created something called 'SMI' (System Management Interrupt) It's a system within a laptop (desktops have it to) that can just interrupt any process to do system tasks, this can be management of temperature of the CPU, check RPM of a ventilator and control. This usually takes a millisecond orso, but long enough to mess up the realtime tasks of Mach3.

So there ya go, this is the issue... the laptop!

The RTAI team (EMC2 uses RTAI Real Time OS) solved this by creating a little tool called setsmi. I don't know what Mach3 uses to garantee real time performance, I thought it was bit banging, but I am not sure... Ask on the Mach3 forum if they have tools to disable SMI.

Ahhh... and one note SMI might break your computer!

What I do before I disable SMI on EMC2 controlled Mechmate is to turn on all ventilators to guarantee that my CPU stays cool, remember after SMI is turned off, no software OR the CPU can control anything. Only then EMC2 and RTAI guarantees real time control and generate good and even pulses.

Ries
Old Sun 14 August 2011, 13:00
superbug20
Just call me: Dan

Ft Lauderdale
United States of America
What Motherboard and CPU for new build.

I'm looking at this thread and what comes to mind is number 1, it's old and 2, I think what would help is for the guys that are up and running to give your specs as to what works.
I'm starting my build with gathering the electronics to start on the kitchen table project. I have an old PIII computer at home but it isn't a 1GHZ capable machine.
What I want to do is to get some solid information on whats working and then hopefully those motherboard/CPU combos are still obtainable. As cheap as some of these old P4 boards and CPU's are then a person could buy two and then have parts for backup. It seems the newer boards don't work as well and the PIII boards and CPU's are getting scarce where the P4 boards and CPU's are plentiful on ebay Of course if the PIII's are solid machines and that is what's working the best then I will just have to do a little more scrounging and get extra parts to put away for a rainy day.
Also not clear....onboard parallel port or separate card and onboard video or separate card?
TIA
Dan

Last edited by superbug20; Sun 14 August 2011 at 13:15..
Old Sun 14 August 2011, 13:36
superbug20
Just call me: Dan

Ft Lauderdale
United States of America
Just adding to the thread...as an example on ebay there are more than 10 available of the ASUS P4B MB's with socket 478 - 1.6Ghz processors for $15 ea so I'm pulling the trigger on 3 of them as I think based on what I have read that they will work for what Mach 3 needs in a MB/CPU combo.

Last edited by superbug20; Sun 14 August 2011 at 14:04..
Old Mon 28 May 2012, 16:58
Guillermo
Just call me: Guillermo

Puerto Ordaz
Venezuela
Hi all.

I found this in the mach suport forum.

http://www.machsupport.com/forum/ind...1;sa=showPosts

What are your coments ??
Old Sun 17 March 2013, 19:43
Mojo
Just call me: SolarImages

Bisbee, AZ
United States of America
Ess

So.. i purchased the ethernet smooth stepper from Metalhead and now i need ot find a ethernet card for my older pc i was planning on using for running mach 3 anyone have a link? sorry if this is posted somewhere else i can't find a reference.
Old Sun 17 March 2013, 20:22
darren salyer
Just call me: Darren #101

Wentzville mo
United States of America
You will LOVE the ESS. Documentation was a little sketchy when I hooked mine up, but its been flawless ever since.
Old Mon 18 March 2013, 03:34
danilom

Novi Sad
Serbia
Mojo you can get something like this if your motherboard has no integrated ethernet port

http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DFE-530...599195&sr=1-24
Old Thu 11 June 2015, 07:28
britzsh
Just call me: Shayne

Centurion
South Africa
Anyone tried a thinclient to Run Mach3 and operate MM ?
http://www.cnet.com/products/dell-wy...954361l/specs/
Wyse R90LW
Running Sempron 1.5Hz processor
2GB Ram
65GB SDD
Embedded Win XP 2009 or even Win7
Purely Mach 3 machine control - cut files compiled on another PC and transferred via USB

Last edited by britzsh; Thu 11 June 2015 at 07:29.. Reason: add text
Old Thu 11 June 2015, 07:37
danilom

Novi Sad
Serbia
Only thing a thinclient can run is a Remote Desktop to a central server
in basic its a terminal with Microsoft Windows Embedded not XP or win7

so no, it wont run Mach3
Old Thu 11 June 2015, 08:07
britzsh

Centurion
South Africa
Danilo
I understand the standard use and working of thinclients . . . Change bios to boot from SSD with XP as O/S it becomes a basic PC ? RAM and processor specs above minimum spec so could work ?
Old Thu 11 June 2015, 09:17
danilom

Novi Sad
Serbia
Depending on how it delivers the LPT port functionality (which chipset etc) it might or might not work correctly. They also usually don't have a hard drive but boot from a flash.

Cheap Dell, Fujitsu etc core2duo desktop workstations are small reliable and up to the any task, in my opinion experimenting is not worth while these are 50-60 usd on the used market.
Old Thu 11 June 2015, 23:05
britzsh

Centurion
South Africa
Thanks for the input. Will use your advise ������

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read