MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Computing, Software & Programming > 80. Computer Hardware & Software
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Thu 28 May 2009, 08:58
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Nils,
Yeah but a lot of people may have "hand me down" computers from power users that will be available for mechmate use that might be low end dual or quad core. Be a shame not to be able to use them though.
Old Thu 28 May 2009, 10:07
DMS
Just call me: Sharma #9 India

Rajasthan
India
Quad core is working great with cam software and other helping softwares, no need of graphic card (2 GB RAM suffice.)
Using old 1.9 with MM (256 RAM), that is also working without a single problem till now.
Old Thu 28 May 2009, 16:50
ger21
Just call me: Ger

Detroit, MI
United States of America
While dual core may seem like a waste to you, over 90% of new PC's are dual core. And they're dirt cheap, too. Before long, you won't be able to find anything else, if you want a new PC.
Old Thu 28 May 2009, 18:04
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
I don't think a dual core is a waste. The computer power you need to run Mach and the MechMate does not need dual core. It is true that eventually quad core or the next thing will be the only thing you will be able to buy if you buy new. If that is all you have available to you then that is what you have to use. But to use a dual core processor with Mach to run MM if you have a lower processor available, in my humble opinion, is a waste.

The point I was trying to make was that to run Mach and MechMate you do not need a fancy powerful computer.

If you want to run CAD and CAM, then you want to buy the latest processor and lots of memory. That is if you can afford it.

Currently, you can buy lots of used lower processor computers on ebay. That is what I did. That works for me.

Of course I come from the stone age. My first computer course was on a main frame using punch cards. My first home computer was an Apple II with 24 MB of memory, I think. I think my TV has more than that. I think my phone has more than that.
Old Thu 28 May 2009, 18:11
domino11

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Ahh, the apple II, I remember those days. Nils did you have a commodore 64 too? I loved that thing, maybe it would run a MM, no probably not.
Old Thu 28 May 2009, 20:24
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
No, the next machine was a PC. I forget the specs but there wasn't much.
Old Thu 28 May 2009, 21:01
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
This whole computer issue is in a big state of flux as far as DIY CNC is concerned. We also have the Parallel versus USB thing, for which the Mach team has produced the SmoothStepper as a "fix", and coincidentally it also fixes the dual/quad core type issues.
Old Thu 28 May 2009, 23:24
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
What about a Sinclair ZX-80...man what a MACHINE

zx80.jpg
Old Fri 29 May 2009, 02:59
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Gerald,

I agree with you. The current issue is the interface between the CNC and computer. The SmoothStepper might be the solution, I have not kept up with it. Maybe what is needed is a plug in card to the computer which attaches to the BOB.
Old Fri 29 May 2009, 03:37
J.R. Hatcher
Just call me: J.R. #4

Wilmington, North Carolina
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to J.R. Hatcher
My son has a friend that runs a computer repair shop. He gave me a few parallel port cards. He said he has no use for them, nobody needs them anymore. Check with your local repair shops and see if they're finding the same. At some point they will throw them out.
Old Fri 29 May 2009, 09:34
bradm
Just call me: Brad #10

Somerville(MA)
United States of America
I've long thought that an embedded system design makes sense for a CNC like the MechMate. When my almost endless supply of junk computers and firesold parallel port cards runs out, I'll be looking hard at PC104 based designs.

See http://www.pc104.org/ and http://www.pc104.com/ .

Choosing one vendor at random, WDL Systems makes the eBox-3851 which seems to have a nice set of specifications for driving a MechMate.
Old Mon 08 June 2009, 14:44
servant74
Just call me: Jack

Nashville (Tennessee)
United States of America
For folks that insist on using laptops without parallel ports, or dual core processors, has anyone tried a flashcutcnc.com controller? Any ideas on cost? Do you still need the Gecko's to drive the steppers? ... Just curious.

I heard that you can now use Mach3 with it, but I do not know that for sure.

IMHO, dedicate an old/cheap computer to the machine and you will be better off, but that is must my perspective.
Old Mon 08 June 2009, 20:05
ger21
Just call me: Ger

Detroit, MI
United States of America
No, you can't use Mach3 with it. I think it's about $1000 for the software and signal generator. No drives, so you'll still need Geckos and power supply.
Old Wed 17 June 2009, 21:52
anton
Just call me: Anton

Cape Town
South Africa
Gerald,
Will this Expresscard34 to Parralel converter work with the PMDX-122 BOB?

http://www.synchrotech.com/products-...r_pcie_01.html

or maybe this one,

http://www.synchrotech.com/products-...dapter_01.html

As I am using a Dual core 2 ghz, 2 gig ram laptop, and dont reaaly want to buy another computer.

Anton
Old Wed 17 June 2009, 22:48
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
I have no experience of those converters. Suggest you ask at:

http://machsupport.com/forum/index.php

or

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mach1mach2cnc/
Old Thu 18 June 2009, 04:28
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Anton,

I have not tried it but you have to be careful using a Laptop computer. It has been suggested that the power management programs that run in the back ground are a problem.

When you go to the Mach forum you might want to ask that question as well.
Old Fri 19 June 2009, 03:55
anton
Just call me: Anton

Cape Town
South Africa
Thanx guys's. I am blowing my budget a bit. Bit hey, might as well score a new desktop out of the project. Are there any maximum specs recommended for the computer that runs the Mach 3 program, and any other requirements recommended to have when choosing a computer?

Much appreciated,
Anton
Old Fri 19 June 2009, 04:57
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Anton,

Mach takes a very minimum amount of disk space, processor and memory. I purchased an old Pentium III with 256 or 1 gig memory and I think it has 80 gig drive. I don't use it to do any thing else but to run the MM on it. I have a laptop that needs to be upgraded to do my CAD and CAM work. When I am ready to cut, I transfer to a memory stick and take it to the machine.
Old Fri 19 June 2009, 13:08
bradm
Just call me: Brad #10

Somerville(MA)
United States of America
Looking at those two converters, the first one has the correct specifications to potentially work; as a PCIe interfaced device, it's very much the same as a traditional motherboard or add in card parallel port. Of course, not all parallel ports work well, so it would need testing. The second is USB based, and almost certainly will not work. As mentioned above, you also face the challenge of disabling the power management features of the laptop. This is often a combination of BIOS level settings and OS level settings.
Old Sat 20 June 2009, 19:05
domino11

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
One more note to the adventurous , laptop parallel ports do not have very strong bus drivers (the chips that drive the parallel port) on them. This is to save power when running on the battery. In the past when using other parallel devices, I frequently ran into laptops that would not operate devices that would work off of a desktop parallel port. This may or may not be true of the add on card you mention but I would test it first if possible.
Old Fri 18 December 2009, 18:21
Stepinwolf
Just call me: Bob

Trois Rivieres
Canada
[QUOTE=

So, as Gerald pointed out - DON'T - use a wireless ethernet card.[/QUOTE]

Does the decidated PC that runs the Mach3 software for the MM, need to be connected to the internet for the machine to function properly, or is it just for updates, etc. ?

Robert
Old Fri 18 December 2009, 20:51
domino11

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Bob,
You do not need the computer connected to the internet for anything at all. Some people like to have it connected to their network so they can transfer files. I like to keep computers that are used for specific tasks like the MM free of internet connections and only use it for the purpose intended. If you start using it to browse the web, and run other stuff, you will eventually find clutter building up that will affect the running of your machine at some point.
Old Sat 19 December 2009, 01:18
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Its a preference.
I use dedicated PC for the Mechmate without LAN connection because
1) I can use recycle old PC or low spec + low cost PC in the shop a.k.a. dusty, environment.
2) I prefer to work on the PC in a comfortable location other then to squat beside the machine. A nice cup of coffee + ciggy are mandatory.
3) I'm from the stone age, I feel awkward to turn on a machine that has a wall between us.
4) Internet is an distraction

BTW, contrary to many believes, new PCI parallel port are freely available in my part of the world & they are in production. Price ranges from US$10~30 off the shelve, give me a shout if you need help to source some.
5) All-in-one => All problem happen at once...
Old Sat 19 December 2009, 12:53
skypoke
Just call me: Chuck

Port Aransas
United States of America
I'm running an intel Atom based motherboard, they have parallel ports as standard. A really nice feature is that the whole board, drivers and processor and 1 gig of ram costs under usd $100.00. I believe it is also possible to run a compact flash card rather than a hard drive though I've not tried it. Boards come with onboard video and many usb ports. There are also "smaller than a cigar box" cases that will house it.

No problems running Mach and VCP. Solid.

Chuck
Old Sat 19 December 2009, 18:48
domino11

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Chuck,
Most people do not know that compact flash cards are really just another ide device. Yes thats right, get the right adapter and you can hook up a compact flash card just like an ide hard drive. Solid state disks just use the same pricipal, and give you higher capacities than you can get from one compact flash card. Some industrial computers come with the CF socket already hooked up to the ide port for you to use as a HDD. Cheper than a SSD.
Old Sun 20 December 2009, 08:08
liaoh75
Just call me: David

Taibao
Taiwan
Chuck,

Do you actually have one of these Intel Atom boards driving your Mechmate? You don't get stalls when jogging at max speed? Would you be so kind as to share the specific model number to the board you are using? I had a lot of problem with modern machines with their "advanced" power saving features built into the hardware. I ended up using a older celeron machine instead of a more modern Core Duo machine.

Thanks,

David
Old Sun 20 December 2009, 10:01
javeria
Just call me: Irfan #33

Bangalore
India
David even my machine runs on the single core Atom, day night and day no hick ups

its the actual intel based gclf board. I think you should get the single core atom -
Old Sun 20 December 2009, 16:58
skypoke
Just call me: Chuck

Port Aransas
United States of America
Liaoh,

Yes, I have the most basic one, I'm thinking its the 945GCLF but don't have the box handy to verify. I'm running windows XP, on Mach the kernel speed is 45KHZ. I gig ram. I've never had problems with stalls or any other glitches.

Be sure and disable things like instant messenger and other non essential items in windows and for sure you don't want anything like wireless lan running. Like Javeria says, I'm using an Intel brand board with a single core processor.

Chuck

Last edited by skypoke; Sun 20 December 2009 at 17:01..
Old Sun 20 December 2009, 21:49
Claudiu
Just call me: Claus #43

Arad
Romania
How important is the kernel speed for running Mach3? Is it better to run the computer on high speeds or is also 25 tHz enough? What if you run it on 100 tHz?
Old Sun 20 December 2009, 22:38
liaoh75
Just call me: David

Taibao
Taiwan
Claus, it is my understanding that the faster the pkernel speed, the faster mach3 can send pulses to your B.O.B. (Break out Board). Naturally, the speed requirements will depend on your setup. If you have geared motors or a belt drive, then your need for higher RPM will go up along with your gear ratio. If you don't have any reduction, then 25K is adequate. For example: You have ungeared steppers - you only need 200 pulses to get one revolution from your motor. However, if you are running the recommended O.M. 7.2 motors, you will need 1440 pulses to get that same one revolution on your motor. Basically, the faster Mach3 sends pulses, the faster your motors will turn. This in turn will require a higher speed pulse train to achieve a descent max speed.

Last edited by liaoh75; Sun 20 December 2009 at 22:40..

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read