MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Computing, Software & Programming > 80. Computer Hardware & Software
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sat 27 January 2007, 14:34
vadeem
Just call me:

Keeping dust out of the computer

These guys look like they have a simple solution for those using a conventional computer case, rather than a filtered dust resistant rack mount case:

http://www.dirtbag.biz

The flap for the disk drives is genius.
Old Fri 29 May 2009, 03:27
ashgray2
Just call me: ashgray2

California
United States of America
This dirt bag is what I need to protect my computer from dust. "The Dirt Bag computer filter purifies all incoming air, preventing costly maintenance by protecting the computer's power supply, motherboard, and disk drives." I will purchased one of this today.
Old Sat 06 June 2009, 12:47
baseball43v3r
Just call me: John #96

Glendora (California)
United States of America
i was thinking of various ways of keeping a dust free computer and i stumbled upon a mineral filled fishtank idea out of puget awhile ago if anyone wanted to take a look. http://www.pugetsystems.com/aquarium_kit.php

while not entirely practical for a shop i thought it might be interesting to see tested out.
Old Sat 06 June 2009, 14:50
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Sorry, I think you guys are making more out this than needs to be. Unless you are in the desert, I don't see it being a problem. I have my computer sitting right next to my machine. When the dust gets a little bad, I take a air hose to the thing and blow it out.

I know of some one that had an open case and he never had a problem with the computer and dust. The hard drive are sealed and most of us are not using floppies.

Just one persons opinion.
Old Sat 06 June 2009, 18:34
servant74
Just call me: Jack

Nashville (Tennessee)
United States of America
Part of the problem is hard drives are not sealed. They actually have a small 'vent' that goes all the way to the 'guts' of the drive.

My suggestion, keep it backed up. Know how to restore it or 'rebuild' your computer when needed. Figure the hard drive (or fan) will fail annually. ... If this is a hobby, don't worry about it. If it is your bread and butter, keep another computer like it working in the 'office', so you can just swap it out and keep going. (These are not expensive computers. A nice one is less than a stack of plywood, and one that works is less than a couple of sheets! or a good bit!)

If you want to make it last, put it in a 'box', with good filters and fans that keep the box 'positively pressurized' with clean air. Do let the heated air escape.

... This is from a computer geek that is trying to learn about CNC and hasn't started a MechMate yet! My computer geek run has been over 30 years from mainframes to micro's, programming to hardware tech, to systems programmer. ... I know enough to know I don't know everything about anything tho!

Overall, computers are frustrating and a needed 'evil' when doing CNC. Personally, I want one that runs cool as a laptop, keeps data on a 'server' in another room/building, and does what it needs over a network. When it runs, I want it to have EVERYTHING in memory. Mechanicals in computers are usually designed for an office environment (or worse, a 'server room'). So shop viability of that equipment is questionable, but some will survive well, and some won't.

Also, go get a cheap UPS and put your computer on it. A cheap UPS is a better surge protector than a good surge protector! ... Lightening that struck near my house bore that out to me in $$$. -- And good UPSes are not cheap. ... If you have a UPS,change its batteries every 3 years or use software to monitor the battery status. ... sorry for preaching, but I have had to explain that to so many customers, I just don't want you guys to get caught by it.
Old Sun 07 June 2009, 02:12
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Even if the hard drive is not sealed, I still don't agree about the dust. Yes, you want to back it up but I don't have any thing on mine. It has OS and Mach. I have a simple power strip.

We will just have to disagree on this one. Since I have a dust collection, it is even less important.
Old Sun 07 June 2009, 17:25
servant74
Just call me: Jack

Nashville (Tennessee)
United States of America
Not a problem to disagree.

If recovery of lost data is an issue, backups are in order. If not, great.

I am just oriented toward backups, since I made my living for a number
of years making sure that companies computers are backed up. Backups
are like insurance. No one likes to pay for it, but if it is not there when
it is needed, a price will be paid. I will also admit, most of my home
machines are not backed up. But I do backup 'important' documents
regularly.

Enjoy.
Old Mon 19 August 2013, 19:08
Mrayhursh
Just call me: Hurshy

Riverview, Florida
United States of America
Dust Prevention

It might be simplistic but make a framework with a door out any material you want and cover it with cloth. Cheap cotton works fine. Put your PC inside. It breaths and is easy to clean. I saw this at a factory when I worked tech support. The internal fans kept the unit cool and I was surprise how clean it kept the PC.
Old Mon 19 August 2013, 19:19
Mrayhursh

Riverview, Florida
United States of America
Mach 3 Setup

I have completed wiring my control box. After I receive the rest of the parts I ordered I will begin to drill and assemble the box. I have pretty much a standard setup a PMDX-126 BOB, PMDX-134 Stepper Driver board mounted on a heat sink, and a Ethernet Smooth Stepper. I followed the instruction manual and I am pretty sure the smooth stepper is running correctly. The green lights on the board are flashing and the yellow and green light are flashing on the Ethernet RJ45 connection. I have read through several of the PMDX-126 manuals and it is to say the least confusing. I am not sure which options I want to choose. What do I need to do to get this puppy dancing?
Old Tue 20 August 2013, 23:33
Red_boards
Just call me: Red #91

Melbourne
Australia
I tape filter material (cut up breather masks) over the computer intake and run duct tape around the seams and over unused ports. Computer is under desk so minimal dust settles on it. But I don't cut much wood and no aluminium - mostly foam.
I like the fabric frame idea.
Old Tue 20 August 2013, 23:38
Red_boards

Melbourne
Australia
Hurshy,
Check out the videos on the PMDX site. They help a lot. I would follow 2.13 to 3.0 in the manual. You should have a jumper across the e-stop because the PMDX126 ships that way.

Then decide which mode you wish to run. I suggest normal with charge pump as in section 5.2.2 and go back to section 3.1 to set the dip switches for that mode.

Once you have the hardware set up, then it's just a case of installing the preset configuration file from PMDX for PMDX126 on MACH3 and seeing whether you can get the computer and BOB to run the motors.
Old Wed 21 August 2013, 21:30
Mrayhursh

Riverview, Florida
United States of America
Videos

I was there and can't find them. Do you have the link
Old Wed 21 August 2013, 21:54
Red_boards

Melbourne
Australia
The config files for expanded mode are on this page:
http://www.pmdx.com/PMDX-126

I apologize, the videos are from Mach3, here:
http://www.machsupport.com/videos/
Old Thu 22 August 2013, 00:57
Mrayhursh

Riverview, Florida
United States of America
Thanks

spent the last couple hours watching Mach 3 & 4 videos. Wish they had it for PMDX-126
Old Sat 24 August 2013, 07:48
zumergido
Just call me: Fernando

BS AS
Argentina
1st. mach3 dont need to much computer power. so todays atom prosesor can run very well and dont need coolers. i run windows 7 32bits and mach 3 on a 2500hn intel that dont have any cooler.
2nd. use vlieseline or friselina "spanish" to cover your computer. its a costless fabric

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read