MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Computing, Software & Programming > 80. Computer Hardware & Software
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 22 October 2012, 14:27
alan254
Just call me: Al #95

mystic ct
United States of America
laser scanner for mechmate??

Hi All,

I have several antique rossets I need to cut (all hand carved) and am wondering if anyone has played with a laser scanned mounted to a MM that can scan and send back info to a program thus creating a 3Dcut file.

This a new world for me and I am not afraid to experiment, but am not trying to recreate the wheel if it already exist.

Any ideas?

Al
Old Tue 23 October 2012, 06:59
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Yes, yes I have - but it's pricey.
The more cost effective solution is a probe attached to your spindle using the "probe" input on your bob. Many MM users utilize this port as the auto Z-zero routine.

If the object your trying to duplicate is not to complex, then probing and storing the cloud data is a very robust solution. The probe can be made/or purchased for under a few hundred dollars plus the cloud resolution software.

The scanning is simple, but requires you to make up a version of the scanner from either a store bought solution or one-of-the-hundreds open source varients available. These scanner solutions require a lot of "post production" after the part is scanned to get it into usable form to replicate the object.

Again, not to scare you, it's all very obtainable - but it will require you to invest in the knowledge and time behind either technology.

this is an example of an affordable, passive, "high" resolution probe:

http://www.tormach.com/product_tts_passive_probe.html
Old Tue 23 October 2012, 17:11
Castone
Just call me: Leo #41

Soddy Daisy , Tn
United States of America
Scan

Hi Al, I have a 3D scanner if you would like to make a copy of one of them and send it to me, I could scan it and send you a file to try, Leonard
Old Wed 24 October 2012, 06:14
alan254

mystic ct
United States of America
Thank you both for the input.

I was thinking of something reletivly simple and I am using auto zero through my BOB.

My thoughts were:

To be able to mount laser in by spindle say in a .25" collet to maintain repetability between changes

By using a very narrow beam laser to keep focus on a object depth at a the specific location of the beam.

We can program the MM on a "flat defined" path at a known speed and track using our existing programing.

Feeding the laser output and the location from Mech3 to a program, not sure what one may be Excel, to plot the points at the appropiate locations.

Then,with this infomation create a 3Dcut file.

Input please

Thank you

Al
Old Wed 24 October 2012, 06:56
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Have you seen this thread: ?
Laser scanning using a distance-sensing laser
Old Wed 24 October 2012, 08:04
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
http://www.david-laserscanner.com/wi...laser_scanning

This works...I have done it.
You would only need to build a file in Mach for the pattern movement of the laser.
This was actually the reason why I put the laser (crosshair) mount on MM #5 so I only had to add the camera when needed to scan.
Old Wed 24 October 2012, 10:37
normand blais
Just call me: Normand

montreal
Canada
The new version of David also work with Structured light (projector ) .It is much faster ,and you dont need the calibration pannel once it is calibrate . Also no moving parts.
Old Thu 25 October 2012, 04:48
alan254

mystic ct
United States of America
Sorry Gerald I did not see that thread.

It was helpful, but it seams to have died may need new life.

I do have some ideas and will post after a little more experimenting

feel free to move this thread there.

Al
Old Thu 25 October 2012, 09:21
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Why mount a sscanner on MM? If you can live with 1mm resolution; With ReConstructMe, You can turn a Kinect into a 3D scanner.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZZqffZkOw0

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read