MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Introduce yourself and start planning
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Fri 20 March 2015, 20:17
userandrew
Just call me: andrew

georgia
United States of America
The slow mechmate build

Hello everyone this is my second post but I am in the initial stages of planning a mechmate build. My working background is in Information Technology but I've always had a love for all things CNC and I've been reading this forum for years. I will start with the electronics planning and seek some feedback on the following components. At first I was looking at starting by building drivers myself but after several days of looking at the forums and a thread on the massmind drivers. On the advice of forum member "danilom" I looked at the 2M542 but couldn't find a motor with low inductance that I thought was a good match. I also looked at buying the recommended motionking motors but with shipping charges it was only $50 less than what I've been able to source in the USA. . Here is what I am looking at buying for electronics now: Feed back appreciated.
1) BOB C10 from CNC4PC $28
2) Drivers KL-8070D 80VDC/7A Digital Stepper Driver: $89
3) NEMA34 Stepper Motor – 906 oz in 6.1A Single Shaft from CNC4PC (3.1 mh inductance when wired bipolar parallel) KL34H295-43-8A $71
4)Power supply:Unregulated Linear 1440W/72VDC/20A Toroidal PSU (KL-7220) $199

I will be starting out with those components to get my feet wet then adding three additional motors to finish my "kitchen table" buildout. I already have a PC buiilt for the project.
Old Mon 23 March 2015, 09:51
servant74
Just call me: Jack

Nashville (Tennessee)
United States of America
Glad to have you in the group! Sounds like you are started down the right road.
Old Mon 23 March 2015, 15:03
userandrew

georgia
United States of America
Thanks for the Welcome
Old Mon 23 March 2015, 18:49
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Welcome to the MM group. It is true fun...and rewarding.
Old Tue 24 March 2015, 13:14
userandrew

georgia
United States of America
Thanks Sean... it is build thread like yours that has kept me coming back to this site. Thank you.
Old Tue 24 March 2015, 19:09
darren salyer
Just call me: Darren #101

Wentzville mo
United States of America
Welcome aboard.
Old Fri 27 March 2015, 18:57
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
...andrew - you have been lurking a long time. LOL I started my first machine in 2006
Old Sun 29 March 2015, 11:54
userandrew

georgia
United States of America
Sean I've read through some of your threads or ones you've participated in and I've been a lurker for a long time. Finally starting my journey. Darren thank you for the warm welcome.
Old Tue 21 April 2015, 11:29
userandrew

georgia
United States of America
So I have been playing around with some of the parts I purchased for my mechmate build. Here is a picture of my test setup. I like working with the simplest setup possible to get familiar with the components and how they work. See below:
I have started planning and buying components for my control box also. I have a 24x16x10 inch control box purchased from factorymation, Din rail and some terminals. I still got a few purchase before I ready to completely build out the box but I am on my way. My first wireup was disasterous as I reversed the polarity on the terminals for the keling 8070D ( good thing I only hooked up one) and blew the circuit board. I've sinced hooked up the second driver and made sure both motors are working. I have a question though on microstepping. When I set the keling driver to half step (400 steps per revolution) I noticed hesitation when I tried to jog at anything over 16 inches per minute (I am using linuxcnc). I changed the microstep setting to 1000 steps per resolution the motor was as smooth as butter. My concern is should the motor be able to jog at 30 inches per minute regardless of the number of steps

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150421_650x600.jpg (48.0 KB, 148 views)

Last edited by userandrew; Tue 21 April 2015 at 11:58.. Reason: I want to add a picture
Old Tue 21 April 2015, 15:13
darren salyer
Just call me: Darren #101

Wentzville mo
United States of America
Figuring it out on your own is a pretty satisfying feeling, the one or two times I've experienced it...
Old Tue 21 April 2015, 17:19
userandrew

georgia
United States of America
Yep I have to admit I felt a feeling of accomplishment when the motor started turning!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren salyer View Post
Figuring it out on your own is a pretty satisfying feeling, the one or two times I've experienced it...

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read