MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Archives
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old Tue 30 November 2010, 03:23
same79
Just call me: same

fsdf
Australia
Selecting Stepper motor controller IC

I am a mechanical engineer and would like to build CNC machine. But for now, I want to know, which stepper motor controller IC I should select. Please help me. I want to use only a simple chip or IC. I want to use this stepper motor for all axis.
Old Tue 30 November 2010, 06:14
Richards
Just call me: Mike

South Jordan, UT
United States of America
A CNC router requires a high-torque motor. Unfortunately, you cannot drive a large machine with a low-torque motor. The single-chip stepper controllers are not meant to be used on a CNC machine; they are more often found in a floppy disk drive or other constant step-rate application. You will need a size-34 motor that produces at least 300 oz*in (if you use a belt-drive transmission) or around 600 oz*in if you use direct drive. The Geckodrive G20x series of stepper drivers (or equivalent) would be the proper type of stepper drivers for a CNC machine.
Old Tue 30 November 2010, 11:55
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
For build it yourself ideas you could see www.pminmo.com. There are some designs available there that might do the job. The Gecko drives Mike mentioned also work very well.
Old Tue 30 November 2010, 12:09
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Do we really want to discuss such a small $18 motor on this forum?
Old Tue 30 November 2010, 16:30
EricW
Just call me: Eric

WI
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald D View Post
Do we really want to discuss such a small $18 motor on this forum?
Nope.
Old Tue 30 November 2010, 16:45
bradm
Just call me: Brad #10

Somerville(MA)
United States of America
Well, if we eliminated the v-rails and v-wheels, doubled the racks with one on top and one below, and placed two motors everywhere there used to be a wheel, then got all 28 little motors running in sync ...

... Yeah, I guess we don't have much use for the little motors
Old Tue 30 November 2010, 16:54
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Agreed
Closed Thread

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read