MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sat 12 January 2008, 06:00
Doug_Ford
Just call me: Doug #3

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
Thanks Gerald. It has been too chilly to paint those brackets on my conduit but I'll get around to that when the weather warms up a bit. I wish it was mowing weather around here. The wires in my control box are pretty stiff in these temperatures and the other night, I worked until my fingers couldn't feel anything.
Old Sat 12 January 2008, 06:10
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
This thread took me back exactly a year to this post. My reply to Fabrica (Udaya) is mostly still valid.

Let you into a small secret; we never the closed the hole where the parallel cable enters the box. My excuse was that it was a very scientific test to see the amount of dust ingress. Well, the dust ingress is very little. The big worry is that it doesn't look "professional" to leave it open - so I keep it as a secret
Old Sun 13 January 2008, 17:22
Doug_Ford

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
It's alive!!! I couldn't wait any longer. All day at work, I kept thinking about it and reading the Mach 3 manual when I had the chance. Near the end of the day, I decided that I had enough info to finish configuring Mach so I ran home, jumped on my computer and finished it up. Then I told my wife that I was going to see if it works. I carried the computer out into the garage and turned the control box on for the first time ever about 1 hour ago. Then I hooked the parallel port cable to the computer and booted it and started Mach. I didn't have the springs installed so I hit the down arrow and I could see the pinion spinning. The right and left arrows made the gantry motors spin and my wife confirmed that the front side was spinning in the right direction so I decided to install the springs. Man, she's FAST!!!! Since I don't have any experience with CNC gantry routers (just a Hass mill in night technical school) I guess she might be slow compared to everyone else's but she seem FAST to me.

After reading JR's post, I decided to bump the speed up to 35,000 pulses and she seemed to operate fine. Of course, I understand that I'm not cutting anything and everything will change when I do but right now, I'm floating on a cloud. The pause and resume buttons worked perfectly. I also loaded the roadrunner code that comes with Mach and she simulated cutting it out. I say "simulated" because I don't have the router or the Z-axis hooked up yet. I still need to fabricate that small bracket and connect the router power cable. I did see the Z pinion spinning when the program told it to.

Whew. I bet I don't get a minute's sleep tonight.

THANKS GERALD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've been dreaming about this day for years and you made it come true. I really owe you man. Thanks again.
Old Sun 13 January 2008, 18:28
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Doug,
What great news! It looks like you have one fine Blue Beast on your hands.
Congrats on making it your MM come alive....Nothing sweeter than watching that gantry fly across the table.
Funny how you mentioned "fast". I attentively watch all the "how fast you can make it go" threads it calculations never really seem to do it justice.
Good luck on the rest of the build! + stay warm in the shop. (now only if those Geckos and steppers would get warmer you might have something :-O
Sean
Old Sun 13 January 2008, 19:14
Greg J
Just call me: Greg #13

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Doug,

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As soon as I saw that you posted, I new you couldn't wait any longer.

Can't wait to see your first project.

Happy for ya, bud!
Old Sun 13 January 2008, 19:38
Doug_Ford

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
Thanks Sean and GregJ. I forgot to thank all the other people that helped me along the way with great advice. I especially want to thank Mike Richards for being so patient with me.

Next weekend, after I finish working my long hours, I'll be cutting something.
Old Sun 13 January 2008, 19:50
gmessler
Just call me: Greg #15

Chicago IL
United States of America
Congratulations Doug!

Great job.....I haven't even had the chance to even look at my machine in over a month.

Looking forward to your pics and seeing your first cutting.

Okay....GregJ and Sean.....who's next?
Old Sun 13 January 2008, 19:56
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Greg M,
It will most likely be Greg J. I have a 2 year old and a newborn to be here any hour now....so, It looks like I will be on hiatus soon-but not for long.
Sean
Old Sun 13 January 2008, 22:09
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Old Sun 13 January 2008, 23:28
Roadkill_321
Just call me: John #7

Wiseton, Saskatchewan
Canada
Congratulations Doug! Glad to hear it's alive!

John
Old Mon 14 January 2008, 04:02
J.R. Hatcher
Just call me: J.R. #4

Wilmington, North Carolina
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to J.R. Hatcher
Doug do you want to slow it down a bit. I'm over here busting my butt trying to make chips first and this extra pressure is not helping. Just so everyone will know if I make smoke while wiring this thing, it's Doug's fault. Congratulations

Doug I think I hear your wife calling you. She would like for ya'll to go to her mothers for about 3 days........ right now
Old Mon 14 January 2008, 04:57
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Doug,

Congratulations!! All your effort and work has paid off!!!!

So where are the PHOTOS. You can't have a new Baby with out the photos and the first cut.
Old Mon 14 January 2008, 06:47
Doug_Ford

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
Thanks guys but I'm not finished yet. Still a few tiny details that have to be attended to. Hopefully, I'll post pictures of my first cut this coming weekend.
Old Mon 14 January 2008, 07:21
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Congrats Doug!
Its great to hear all those completing their Mechmates, some of us are just starting the gathering stage.
Old Tue 15 January 2008, 17:42
stefanv
Just call me: stefan

Port-au-Prince
Haiti
Great Doug!! Can't wait till my day comes!!!
Stefan
Old Thu 17 January 2008, 03:57
zetacnc
Just call me: Fabio

Atibaia
Brazil
Congratulations Doug!!!

It's nice to see our effort results...
Old Thu 17 January 2008, 11:22
Greg J

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Hey Doug,

Just curious why you went with the 35 tooth pinions versus 30 tooth.

I think I'll order my rack and pinons, and gas spring tonight.

Thanks,
Greg
Old Thu 17 January 2008, 11:32
Doug_Ford

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
Greg J,

Around the time I was about to order them, I had read a couple of posts on this forum that conflicted. One of the posts spoke about using a 30 tooth and the other a 35 tooth pinion. I think the post from Doc Tanner said he ordered a 35 tooth pinion. His machine seemed to be working correctly and he appeared to have researched the matter and seemed to know what he was doing so I ordered what he did. I'm happy with them so far but I haven't cut anything.

I just returned from a trip last night. This weekend, I plan to conduct some speed tests on my machine. I'll let everyone know how fast the rapids are. I'm thinking I'll try the 45,000 pulses per second setting to see what I get out of her. As they say, speed is addictive.
Old Thu 17 January 2008, 11:36
Greg J

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Thanks Doug,

Look forward to your test results.

Greg
Old Fri 18 January 2008, 16:26
Doug_Ford

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
I applied my logos today and fabricated and painted the Z-axis spring anchor bracket. Unfortunately, I'm still working on the spider plate and I don't want to hook up the router wires until I have the Z-axis plate bolted back into place. It's a long story but last weekend when I moved the welded on nuts, one of them didn't move enough so I had to grind it back off and relocate it. This time it is in the right place but I had to repaint the spot welds again. I also had another set back. The outside diameter of the hold down bearing for the car was too small. Dang it. At least the stub shaft I turned on my lathe was a perfect press fit. I'm still going to try cutting something tomorrow. I'll just use a low feedrate and shallow passes. Will post a pic if it works.

Old Fri 18 January 2008, 16:38
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Doug,

Nice logo job..... I like it.
Old Fri 18 January 2008, 20:26
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Oof... I am far too modest for that huge name & address Maybe I should make up some 4"x3" serial number decals that I could post out from here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug_Ford View Post
The outside diameter of the hold down bearing for the car was too small.
Tell me more about this please - is there a mistake somewhere?
Old Fri 18 January 2008, 21:39
Doug_Ford

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
It wasn't your mistake. I couldn't find the exact bearing I needed so I ordered one that had the correct inside diameter and didn't pay close attention to the outside diameter. No big deal. It only cost $6.00 or so and I'll order a new one tomorrow from McMaster.

A data plate would be cool but I thought that I ought to give you some form of recognition for all you've done for me and the other guys on this forum.
Old Fri 18 January 2008, 22:33
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Quote:
. . . . some form of recognition for all you've done for me and the other guys on this forum.
That size of lettering is about what is used on a tombstone - maybe wait till I pass on first??

Quote:
I couldn't find the exact bearing I needed so I ordered one that had the correct inside diameter and didn't pay close attention to the outside diameter.
Here I have to admit that this also happened to me. My solution at that time was to grind a big notch in the shaft behind the bearing . . . . . .
Old Sat 19 January 2008, 07:19
Greg J

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Doug,

Nice logo work. Did you buy them on-line or at a local shop?

Looking forward to the pictures today.
Old Sat 19 January 2008, 08:40
Doug_Ford

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
A local shop cut the MM logos for $5 total. I placed them on the front surfaces only since the back wouldn't show. The gantry letters are 2.5" tall and the car and box letters are 1.25" tall. The other verbiage was cut by my cousin for free.

My wife and I both agreed that the logos really help to finish the machine off and add a professional look.
Old Sat 19 January 2008, 18:45
Doug_Ford

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
I'm finally finished. Now I just need to figure out how to make it cut something. Looks like J.R. and I will finish and cut at exactly the same time. Below are some more pictures.

Old Sat 19 January 2008, 19:25
Greg J

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Dang Doug,

I think both you and J.R. should be banned from posting pictures for awhile. Great looking machine.

A lot of high standards being set.
Old Sat 19 January 2008, 19:32
Doug_Ford

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
Thanks Greg but mine is just a basic machine. The fit and finish of it doesn't compare to some of the other guys and I don't have any innovative ideas like J.R. but I appreciate your comments.
Old Sat 19 January 2008, 19:46
Greg J

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Doug,

Give yourself more credit. When your so focused on the project and have the blinders on, you lose sight of the forest.

Think about your knowledge base when you started this adventure and what you have learned. Think about all the cool things your going to create with this "basic" machine. Trust me, yours (or any MechMate) is no basic machine.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read