MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Electrical & Electronic > 702. Power Supplies
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Wed 10 June 2009, 05:44
anton
Just call me: Anton

Cape Town
South Africa
Transformer suppliers in Cape Town?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald D View Post
Hi Donna

My personal approach to a power supply for that choice of motors/geckos/PMDX is to build my own supply with a transformer, rectifier and diode. I am not impressed by the ready-built supplies available in your market, though I might suggest them from time to time for someone who is unsure about their ability to connect a transformer to a rectifier and capacitor. Seems like you will be comfortable to build your own?

I use a 300VA transformer at 28 to 30VAC output. Many others will use a bigger 500VA transformer instead - not much more expensive. Mike recommends around 24V, he likes cooler motors - I like the extra torque from the warmer motors.

We have the luxury of getting transformers made to order. We have another small coil put on the transformer for the 9V AC output to the PMDX. However, it is very simple to add that coil to the transformer yourself. This DIY extra coil has appeared in MM'ers photos without incident or discussion.

Too many words have been written on the power supply issue - it is a simpler subject than what it appears to be.

Hi Gerald,
Where in CT(if so) do you get the tranfromers made to order, and what specs would you recoomend ordering for a compromise between cooler running motors with reasonable torque (PK296A2A-SG7.2) and the Gecko drives G203V stepper drivers?

I also live in CT, when I am actually there, currently in North Africa.

Cheers,
Anton
Old Wed 10 June 2009, 14:29
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
Communica 108 Albert Rd, Woodstock
Old Thu 11 June 2009, 10:07
Jan de Ruyter
Just call me: Jan

Pretoria
South Africa
www.acdc.co.za They stock a lot of interesting stuff.
Old Mon 15 June 2009, 11:41
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Toroidal Technologies, Johannesburg, tel 011 615 615 7245

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read