MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > The Market Place
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Tue 28 July 2009, 08:33
jeffa
Just call me: Jeff

Iowa
United States of America
HSD spindles currently for sale on eBay

To all interested in a spindle rather than a router, I just happened upon these HSD spindles listed on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/HSD-MT1090-140-E...ht_3899wt_1165

Just thought I would pass this along.

Best regards,

JeffA
Old Tue 28 July 2009, 13:12
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Jeff,
Thanks for the lead. For those looking to upgrade, that is one large spindle. Roughly a 5hp equivalent. It's a good deal for less than 2K dollars.
Old Fri 07 August 2009, 12:41
HSDUSA
Just call me: Eric

Hollywood,FL
United States of America
New to the Forums

How is it going guys? We just signed up on this MechMate forum. Yes, that spindle is a fairly large one. The spindle you see on eBay is an 8Hp model. I see that MechMate machines usually carry anything from a 3-5hp spindle/router. If you are looking for a smaller hp/kw or smaller sized spindle we have one that would fit your needs. We hope we can offer you a great deal like you see with our spindle on eBay. If you'd like to inquire about any of our spindles, spindle accessories or just need help with one of our motors we would be glad to help you. Hope you guys enjoy our product. Thanks
Old Fri 07 August 2009, 18:38
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Eric,
Do you guys have a website or contact phone numbers? Might be good to have if they are available.
Old Fri 07 August 2009, 23:23
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
HSD USA INC
3764 SW. 30th Avenue
33312 Hollywood FL (USA)
Tel:+1 954 - 587 - 1991
Fax:+1 954 - 587 - 8338
Email: supporthsdusa@hsdusa.com
Web: http://www.hsdusa.com
Old Sat 08 August 2009, 01:37
BartDeckers
Just call me: Bart_D

Antwerpen
Belgium
Hi,

Eric,

What type can you suggest for a 2.2 kW unit.

What would be the price for such a unit?

Regards,

Bart
Old Sat 08 August 2009, 12:36
domino11

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Gerald,
Wasnt sure if this was the manufacturer or a reseller.
Old Mon 10 August 2009, 06:30
HSDUSA
Just call me: Eric

Hollywood,FL
United States of America
Domino, I believe Gerald helped me out with your question. Thank You Gerald for posting up our contact info. My email is EBigham@hsdusa.com if you need any quotes, information, or help with the spindle.

Bart, I would be glad to. I will send you a message so i can let you know about the spindles we have and I can also email you the information (Power curve & drawing/diagram)
Old Mon 10 August 2009, 07:15
domino11

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Thanks Eric,
It was just for other memebers to be able to get the right contact info easily.
Old Thu 04 February 2010, 20:06
Travish
Just call me: Travis #75

Wa
United States of America
Looks like these are up for sale again. http://cgi.ebay.com/HSD-MT1090-140-E...item3ef6636de5

Gerald, to get one of these to run, the VFD would probably need to run on 3 phase power right? Is it possible to find an oversized vfd to power and run this spindle on single phase 220volt? I'm guessing the vfd would be quite pricey. I thought I would ask for some guidance and what options were available as I'm unsure. I emailed HSD over a week ago, but reply yet on any info.

Thanks,
Travis
Old Thu 04 February 2010, 20:25
domino11

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
I wonder why there is NO warranty on a new unit from the manufacturer?
Old Thu 04 February 2010, 23:48
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Heath, I think if most other people on e-Bay don't give warranties, then HSD can play on that same field with a lower price.

Travis, just because the spindle is capable of 6kW (8 HP), it does not mean that you will actually need to use it to its full capability . . . we use 3kW spindles with no problems. You can size your VFD to according to your real requirement, and I reckon you will get a lot of mileage out of a 3kW (or 3kVA) VFD. Whether the VFD can run on single phase is a matter to take up with the specific VFD supplier. Typically, all VFD's can be run 3 phase or single phase, but they are happier on 3 phase. Some suppliers will say to buy a 5kW VFD to use for 3kW single phase, while some will say that their 3kW VFD will supply the full 3kW on single phase. There are dozens of suppliers and many variations on what their VFD's can do on single-phase.
Old Fri 05 February 2010, 02:40
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
An overly simplified description of VFD working function:- VFD takes in AC supply, rectify the AC to DC then chop up the DC into desireable Sinusoidal or psudo sinusoidal 3 phase AC frequency, so that the Asynchronous (induction) motor (the spindle falls in this category) will spin at desirable speed.
If I remember correctly, when using a 3 phase machine with only single phase, you have to de-rate it by sqrt(2/3).

Hope this helps.
Old Fri 05 February 2010, 03:18
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Also see 3 phase vs single phase VFD's - is there a loss in one vs the other?
Old Fri 05 February 2010, 11:19
Dusty Roads
Just call me: Dusty

Michigan
United States of America
New here, but let me add that you really can't do any better then getting an HSD spindle. I'm very familiar with the company.
Old Sun 07 February 2010, 17:27
Travish

Wa
United States of America
Thanks Guys,

Eric finally got with me and gave me some good info. I'm going to call him monday and talk over the details. It sounds like they have a vfd that power it just fine. Interesting stuff here for sure. Yeah I was planning on going with a columbo combo, but it will be interesting to see what the bigger HSD setup is going to run in comparison.
Old Wed 10 February 2010, 14:56
Travish

Wa
United States of America
Hi Guys,

Eric got back to me on the details for a matching vfd and the works. Powering this spindle single phase is not woth the extra cost. 3 phase seems to be the way to go. Support is limited as well. But if you have the experience and are familiar with them and have 3 phase then it's a good deal. Eric had good response time and answered all my questions in a timely fashion. Unfortunatly I'm going to pass on this deal and buy the smaller spindle. I'll be more than happy with the 5hp. If anyone is serious about details of this combo, send me a PM.

Travis
Old Tue 17 August 2010, 11:59
Travish

Wa
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald D View Post
Heath, I think if most other people on e-Bay don't give warranties, then HSD can play on that same field with a lower price.

Travis, just because the spindle is capable of 6kW (8 HP), it does not mean that you will actually need to use it to its full capability . . . we use 3kW spindles with no problems. You can size your VFD to according to your real requirement, and I reckon you will get a lot of mileage out of a 3kW (or 3kVA) VFD. Whether the VFD can run on single phase is a matter to take up with the specific VFD supplier. Typically, all VFD's can be run 3 phase or single phase, but they are happier on 3 phase. Some suppliers will say to buy a 5kW VFD to use for 3kW single phase, while some will say that their 3kW VFD will supply the full 3kW on single phase. There are dozens of suppliers and many variations on what their VFD's can do on single-phase.

Gerald, How do you go about using this method of a smaller vfd with a larger spindle? Do you simply limit the motor current rating setting on the vfd?

Let's use these numbers for example-

7.5hp spindle running on 220v single phase
Motor Amps-21.5 amps
Delta 15hp drive amps-49 amps
Delta 10hp drive amps-33 amps

MotorAmps/Drive Amps
21.5/49=.4388 so 44 would be the Motor Current Rating Setting for a Delta's parameter 07-00.

PDS says the drives larger than 10 hp have issues powered under single phase.

PDS recomends running a 10hp vfd with there 5hp spindle for single phase operation.

My question is How would I use the 10hp vfd with the 7.5 hp motor? What settings do I need to look at to make this work? I don't need the full 7.5 hp out of the motor. I'd like to get 5 out of it by running the smaller vfd like Gerald has done.
Old Tue 17 August 2010, 16:20
Travish

Wa
United States of America
If I get the 10hp drive, limit the motor amps to about 15amps and set the parameter at 45 for the motor current rating in the drive, would this work ok?

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read