MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Structure & Mechanics > 10. Base Table
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sun 27 May 2007, 11:06
IN-WondeR
Just call me: Kim

Randers
Denmark
1010123 Support Board - material selection (MDF, plywood, other . .)

The base board for the mechmate, to which you bolt the cross member bars onto, how thick should I go, and Should I use something else than particalboard.??? Perhaps, plywood or MDF..???

I have on hand at low cost some 26mm partical board that I can get a hold of, but Would have gone for something called construction plates, the plates you put in the bottom af trailers, cause it's waterproof... And thus don't take on moist...
Old Sun 27 May 2007, 11:45
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Hi Kim

The drawing mentions MDF or Plywood, and from the screw hole dimensions, it is about 30mm thick. My experience is only with 30mm MDF, but I know that most ShopBotters use plywood. There are a lot of discussions at the ShopBot forum about using stronger materials, plastic, aluminium, steel because of movement problems, but I believe they have the problems because their cross-supports (equiv. 1010302) were far too weak.

The MechMate has strong cross-supports (but you tipped yours flat?) and so we can use a fairly weak material. I suggest that you use the 26mm particle board as the support board, but that you glue about a 20mm spoil board to that. The spoil board needs replacing as it wears away, but it does assist in stiffening the support board when it is quite thick.

I don't think the moisture is a problem if you have strong cross-supports.

The top of the table needs to be cleaned easily, and I believe a worn particle board will be difficult to clean. Worn MDF is still fairly smooth. I mention this now because you are probably going to choose MDF as the spoil board, and might just decide to do your board shopping once only.
Old Sun 27 May 2007, 12:53
IN-WondeR
Just call me: Kim

Randers
Denmark
Thx for the description gerald... I have at hand som 26mm particle board as I said, then I can glue a 19mm MDF bord on the top of that...

G

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read