MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Thu 29 October 2015, 19:57
clarson66
Just call me: Chris & Leon #100

Adelaide
Australia
Nice work, would like to see more of the vacuum table set up. It's the one thing I would love to have.
Old Thu 29 October 2015, 20:11
racedirector
Just call me: Bruce #122

New South Wales
Australia
Outstanding work, the beast is certainly working nicely. Would you mind sharing your cut file for the vacuum table? I am in my own planning stage and am stuck on the zones and squares...... I'll be running 2 motors to start with as well.
Old Thu 29 October 2015, 20:21
clarson66

Adelaide
Australia
I 2nd the motion for the vacuum table drawings, look's great
Old Mon 02 November 2015, 16:04
clarson66

Adelaide
Australia
Looking at that vacuum table set up again, very nice. Do you still run a thin spoil board on top or is depth of cut set accurately as not to damage the vacuum table?
Old Mon 02 November 2015, 19:13
Robert M
Just call me: Robert

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert M Send a message via Skype™ to Robert M
"Well I took a Triton RO sanding attachment for a 4in grinder added a spigot and no more hand sanding on large flat surfaces for me anymore."

Love it....quite cleaver
I just may try this too....thanks for sharing
Old Mon 09 November 2015, 13:42
F.A.B
Just call me: Mich #116

Qld
Australia
Have attached both vectric crv file and a dxf of my vacuum table layout.
I then cut 8mm deep with a 12in cutter. I cut the sections up on the table saw which gave me a 3mm kerf that I filled with silicon as a divider between sections.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Vacuum Platium.zip (76.5 KB, 51 views)
File Type: dxf Vacuum Platium.dxf (89.1 KB, 71 views)
Old Mon 09 November 2015, 15:14
Robert M

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Thanks for sharing these files !!...
May I ask, when time permits, to offer a vectirc ealier version, say 4.0 or 4.5 !
For me and some others, opening it in V-8 may not be possible
Tks
Old Mon 09 November 2015, 15:21
F.A.B

Qld
Australia
You should be able to open the dxf into what ever version of vectric you have but I will try and work out if I can save a file in a lower version the 8.
Old Mon 09 November 2015, 16:59
Robert M

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
ooupss...your absolutely right....my mistake as I don't often go that route ( opening DXF in vectric ....and posted a reply a little to fast !!
I was able to open the dxf with my 4.5v
Thks
Old Tue 10 November 2015, 04:07
racedirector
Just call me: Bruce #122

New South Wales
Australia
Brilliant, thanks for the files Mich. One step closer to having a vacuum setup now!
Old Tue 10 November 2015, 07:01
bradyaero
Just call me: Greg #19

Smiths Falls, Ontario
Canada
Thanks for the files, it's a great option for the future!
Old Thu 12 November 2015, 17:17
clarson66

Adelaide
Australia
Thanks for the files, just imported the dxf will do the tool paths later. Can't wait to try out, may even do a small test section first.
Old Mon 01 February 2016, 01:19
F.A.B

Qld
Australia
Well Have had the time to do a little upgrading to #116.
Finally got around to making and installing some 3:1 drives on all axis.
I have had the gears and belts on the shelf for the past 18 months but could not find the time that I thought I may have needed to fit them up and get them working. In the end, they only took about 45mm to fit up, calibrate and get back to work. And like a lot of other people, now wondering why I waited so long. She is running so much smoother. I haven't increased any cut speeds, but did increase rapids to 12000mm/min.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160131_184535.jpg (95.9 KB, 334 views)
File Type: jpg 20160131_184545.jpg (75.9 KB, 333 views)
File Type: jpg 20160131_184619.jpg (102.2 KB, 329 views)
Old Mon 01 February 2016, 01:57
F.A.B

Qld
Australia
Upgrade continues..
I installed a front vertical vice and put JointCAM to work,
Short video of the first through dovetails cut.
https://youtu.be/lJAVdww2TVo
Old Mon 01 February 2016, 02:24
Robert M

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Nice vid !!....nicely done work !
About your trany, did you cut the alu yourself on the MM ?
If so, care to share your cutting strategy !
Old Mon 01 February 2016, 13:15
F.A.B

Qld
Australia
Robert they were cut on the MM. It was the first aluminium I had machined so probably went on the safe side, but feeds and speeds were set from GWizard. Which were 1/8 OFlute Aluminium up spiral cutter, 14500RPM 1.5mmDOC 210mm/min. I didn't want to use a mister on the MDF table so just used a jet of air. I did break the cutter on the profile cut of the last plate, but I worked out that the little 1/8th cutter had done over 2km of cut so I think it had done a good days work.
Old Mon 01 February 2016, 16:27
Robert M

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Thanks Mich for this detailed info !
2km….ya, I also think it’s acceptable to break after all this service in alu

For my part, It’s been so many yrs I want to try cutting aluminum, but a few main factors is slowing me to give it a go !
A – Mostly.... to busy working in the shop ( full time woodworker)
B – Since never tried it, I’m a little intimidated…. But honestly this is crap excuse !
C – “B” is also motivated by A + fact is, I’m not fully in need to make some alu part….aside changing my tranys outfit ( at this point there still made out of UHMW ) !

Cheers
Old Mon 01 February 2016, 18:05
F.A.B

Qld
Australia
But wait there's more..

I also managed to install a rotary A axis.

There are so many new possibilities with this MM now, to be honest I don't know what new projects to start with.

https://youtu.be/CHSoeyCV2HI
Old Mon 01 February 2016, 18:28
Robert M

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
MORE....

Great new add on to your….fun machine!

Odd enough, if you peak at my machine, way back in 2009, I design mine with a deep valley with the firm intention to incorporate one on the X axis. At the time, after build done, I decided to go one step at the time and wait to see if there was/is a commercial request or potential in my neck of the world !
Over 6yrs now, I can tell you….it was a sure bet to keep my expense low back then, never had a single request since, but must be honest, neither did I pushed hard to offer the possible capability. I still have in a box with some upfront purchase material for this set up…..still waiting to see daylight !!

Anyway….all the best with this new toys of yours I envy !!

Later….
Old Sun 03 February 2019, 05:44
MarkRH
Just call me: Mark

Maryland
United States of America
Nice machine! Mind sharing the belt reduction dxf?
Old Sun 03 February 2019, 19:12
F.A.B

Qld
Australia
Belt reduction file.

Mark, it has been a while but I have dug up the aspire files used to cut the parts. I don't seem to be able to upload the .crv files so have converted to dxf. The design for them came from this forum someplace but I can not remember from who.
I hope they can help.
My Mechmate has been sitting in a shipping container for the last two years. I am getting closer to getting it out into a new home. I am looking forward to that day!

Micheal
Attached Files
File Type: dxf Belt X & Z v4 backs.dxf (143.4 KB, 21 views)
Old Mon 04 February 2019, 01:04
MarkRH
Just call me: Mark

Maryland
United States of America
Thanks Mich! They may be J.R.s? I vaguely remember him making some with standoffs like yours. Or run some electric to the sea container. Post some pictures when you get it to its new home. Just welded my gantry thanks again
Old Mon 04 February 2019, 05:13
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Mich, RE: "I don't seem to be able to upload the .crv files". I remember "back in the day" we would just change the type on the file that the FORUM would not accept to something like .txt, upload it and instruct the person using the file to change the type back to the original type (in this case ".crv"). after downloading the file. I mention this since sometimes the conversions loose some of the information from the original file.
Old Mon 04 February 2019, 14:45
F.A.B

Qld
Australia
Well, nothing seems to be working for me today so if you would like the aspire files for my belt reductions send me a private message and I will email them direct.
Old Tue 19 November 2019, 18:16
F.A.B

Qld
Australia
Hi all,
I need a little assistance.
I had blue smoke today for the very first time.
As the picture shows my PMDX 133 board got upset for some reason. If anyone has any ideas of what might have caused this, it would be much appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp 20191120_100428.bmp (190.8 KB, 92 views)
Old Tue 19 November 2019, 18:26
pblackburn
Just call me: Pete #98

South-Central Pennsylvania
United States of America
What about the rest of the board, is it the same set of windings on each drive?
Old Tue 19 November 2019, 18:31
dbinokc
Just call me: DB #118

Oklahoma
United States of America
I would say start with a multimeter and check for shorts between the pins and to ground.
Also inspect the cables for signs of chaffing or cuts. Let us know what you find.
Old Tue 19 November 2019, 18:33
pblackburn
Just call me: Pete #98

South-Central Pennsylvania
United States of America
Are your steppers reading ok with a meter? You definitely have a problem with the B set of windings on two different drives. This leads me to believe that two drives are bad which is unlikely at the same time unless one is X and one is B, a connection issue with that set of windings. I would reach out to Gecko and PDMX also. They are normally pretty prompt
Old Tue 19 November 2019, 18:56
F.A.B

Qld
Australia
Thank you for the input.
Pictured is the z drive on the left which is not functioning. yes, the A drive looks to be having issues as well. I don't use the rotary for a long time and have not checked if it still works.
The X slave drive looks to going the same way as well, and maybe the Y drive.

So Pete yes it looks like it is the same windings on all the drives.
When you talk about the stepper readings, what should they be?
I have reached out to PMDX but not Gecko I will do now thou,
Old Wed 20 November 2019, 00:06
xraydude
Just call me: Ted #131

New Orleans, LA
United States of America
I saw very similar issues with one of my 133 boards as well. One day my slave X quit working. The terminal block on J2 looked a little crispy. The only thing I could find were sketchy crimp on connectors at that terminal. I pulled the terminal block, cleaned the pins, replaced the block with a new one and replaced the crimp connectors. No problems since. The other time I saw this involved a lame brained accidental injection of 120v mains into my wiring harness, but I am sure nobody is dumb enough to do that but me.

Ted

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read