MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sun 27 December 2009, 03:30
Surfcnc
Just call me: Ross #74

Queensland
Australia
Making Skins #74 - Brisbane Australia

Hi All

A start has been made. Got my Motion King 34HS9801 motors turning under the Mach3 demo using some Leadshine DM856 digital drivers and an Antek Power supply, so it was time to do something a little more safe and substantial in a control box. The forum has proven to be a gold mine of resources and good advice. I have already thanked Gerald personally for sharing his well thought out plans with the internet community but would now like to extend that sentiment into the public internet forum.

The value of a good clear photo by other contributors was great as it made the transition from a concept to understanding so much smoother. The detailed plan numbering system made purchasing so much easier than it might have been. A good example of this was when making my bulk order of bolts for the build, each bolt went back to a plan number and if any changes needed to be made it was just a quick reference back to the plans to see if the change was permissible. The plans quickly became my friend.

Attached are a few pics of the testing and then some of the "general" layout as it will be wired up. Consulted with a electrician on this and we tried to maintain as much separation of the high voltage and lower voltages where ever possible. Eventually the box will switch the machine, the spindle and the dust extractor but for now it will only switch the machine.

Had a chat to a few of the helpful Aussies on the forum already and feel that I'm in some good company. MattyZee ultimately inspired me to have a go at making a machine with his super clear pics and rapid build.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Proof of Concept Portable Electrocution Kit.jpg (56.3 KB, 8075 views)
File Type: jpg Leadshine DM856.jpg (57.4 KB, 8088 views)
File Type: jpg 05122009079.jpg (34.9 KB, 8005 views)
File Type: jpg 05122009084.jpg (40.7 KB, 8010 views)
File Type: jpg Internal Layout Roughed in.jpg (56.8 KB, 8036 views)

Last edited by Gerald D; Sat 18 December 2010 at 07:30..
Old Sun 27 December 2009, 06:06
Robert M
Just call me: Robert

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert M Send a message via Skype™ to Robert M
Hi Ross and welcome aboard !
Wishing you a smooth & self motivating build.
Amicalement, Robert
Old Sun 27 December 2009, 16:35
Surfcnc

Queensland
Australia
Thanks Robert

Hi Robert, it has already been such an interesting time. I'm learning the new skills needed to make the build happen. It has been fun practicing stick and TIG welding, taping holes in steel and getting to know the Mach3 controller software.
Regards
Ross
Old Sun 03 January 2010, 04:34
MattyZee
Just call me: Matt

Adelaide
Australia
Hey Ross,

Good to see you making progress. Thats a nice size control box and good layout.

Not sure if you're active on the CNCZone forum, but have a look at this thread. For the last few years there has been a get-together of aussie CNCzone members, usually in Melbourne, but this year Rod (rocket67) is hosting it at his factory in Adelaide. I will be bringing my Mechmate to have on display. People will be coming from all over, Melbourne, Perth, Sydney and i think even a couple from Brisbane. Might be worth checking to see if you can score some cheap flights.

Good luck with the rest of the build and keep the pics coming!
Old Mon 04 January 2010, 04:16
Surfcnc

Queensland
Australia
Parts Photos for the Forum

Hi All

Got my camera out and tried to take some half reasonable shots of the various bits I have collected. The stuff has come from all around the globe as well as from my own city, so it is indeed a multinational effort to bring my mechmate project together. Here is a USA machined spindle mount and a Chinese water cooled spindle, they fit together nicely. for reference, the spindle mount was supplied by forum member "dacostad" and the spindle and VFD unit was from Lovehappyshopping on Ebay. The VFD and spindle bounced around in Chinese customs a bit but the vendor made every effort to make sure it arrived.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spindle Mount Front.jpg (37.4 KB, 7768 views)
File Type: jpg Spindle Mount Back.jpg (36.4 KB, 7734 views)
File Type: jpg 2200 Watt Spindle in Mount.jpg (38.4 KB, 7685 views)
File Type: jpg 2200 Watt Spindle Water Cooloing Ports and Power Inlet.jpg (37.7 KB, 7645 views)
File Type: jpg 2200 Watt 80mm Diameter 5300 Grams.jpg (37.8 KB, 7610 views)
Old Mon 04 January 2010, 04:23
Surfcnc

Queensland
Australia
Chinese VFD

Strange how when you buy things sometimes they just don't turn out the size you mentally had pictured. The VFD turned out much smaller than I expected but this is a good thing as it can be tucked away so much easier somewhere in the shed once it is in use. I have included a can of ginger beer as a reference. Skippy note how I have cunning avoided using an empty wine bottle as my reference, haha.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VFD - It is Tiny.jpg (38.5 KB, 7566 views)
File Type: jpg VFD Bottom.jpg (38.6 KB, 7528 views)
File Type: jpg VFD Front.jpg (37.7 KB, 7512 views)
File Type: jpg VFD Top.jpg (37.5 KB, 7458 views)
Old Mon 04 January 2010, 04:34
Surfcnc

Queensland
Australia
MotionKing Steppers, V Wheels and Eccentric Bushes

Here are some pics of the stepper motors for my build - MotionKing 34HS9801's.
These were purchased from MotionKing in China direct, here is the link http://motionking.com/Products/Hybri..._1.8degree.htm.

V Wheels and bushes were supplied by Rick at Superior Bearings in the USA. Locally these were worth serious money so I followed many other forum members leads to Rick as a reliable well priced source of components.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 34HS9801 Stepper Front.jpg (39.1 KB, 7417 views)
File Type: jpg MotionKing 34HS9801 Stepper Back.jpg (38.2 KB, 7369 views)
File Type: jpg Size 3 V Bearings and Concentric Bushes.jpg (38.9 KB, 7328 views)
Old Mon 04 January 2010, 04:57
Jayson
Just call me: Jayson #18

Horsham
Australia
Hi Ross,

Parts look good so far. I'll watch with interest.
Only one thing to note at the moment is make sure you program the VFD before testing it with the spindle. I have the settings that I used in my thread and I'm sure others have theirs listed also. The main setting that usually needs to be changed is PD004 Base Frequency set it to 400.0 not 50.

If you already knew all this please disregard my post and I'll return to the shadows.

Regards,

Jayson.
Old Mon 04 January 2010, 05:10
Surfcnc

Queensland
Australia
Laser Cut Parts and Fixings

I live in Brisbane Australia, so armed with Geralds dxf files, my own take off of the numbers of parts, their thickness and bends on an excel sheet and photos from the forum, it was off to the laser cutters to try to get a quote. Easier said than done, it seems. Some of the more established businesses were just not able to get off the ground on this request, but persistence pays off and "Lasercentral" got the job done. Very impressed by the operation they run, it is totally professional and even the little guy gets a look in it seems - thanks. One tiny crack on a bend on the spider plate and the spider itself is not perfectly flat is all that appears to require some small correction in the future (a this point anyhow). They immediately picked up that the smaller of the tabs would not bend well on the spider plate and called me with the suggestion it be lengthened to 18 mm. I said no, but in retrospect the longer tab could have been bent and then cut off quite easily later, a suggestion for future builders anyway.

The bolts and washers were an exercise in plan reading that took a fair bit longer than I expected. Eventually I made a list of all fixings by drawing number and when the inevitable call from the bolt supplier came regarding substitutions. I looked really professional being able to quickly refer back to the drawing and make the call on the change. The bolt guy just could not hold back when I arrived to pick up the order and blurted out "What on earth are you building?" (cleaned up a little for the more sensitive souls in the forum!!). My table base is similar in general approach to the "buibui" build but I am never going to pull off such a pretty welding or fabrication job. I am telling myself I have set the benchmark unreasonably high and will defer to lesser quality as and when I need to. The inevitable requests for a Bill of Materials for the mechmate bolts etc will fall on deaf ears I'm afraid as the plan reading is really the way to go to get a good understanding of the build AND my table is not exactly to Gerald's plans so the hard way is probably the best way on this score.

Some steel is one the way from a local supplier. It must be heavy as I ordered it before Christmas and it is well after New Year now and no sign of it yet !

That's all for now.

Ross
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Laser Cut Parts - No Grinding Skate.jpg (37.6 KB, 7300 views)
File Type: jpg Fixings for Mechmate Machine.jpg (38.4 KB, 7234 views)
Old Mon 04 January 2010, 05:21
Surfcnc

Queensland
Australia
VFD Settings

Jayson - all comments and information are gratefully accepted. It will be some some time until the power gets to that component but rest assured your settings will be well read before any testing commences.
Thanks Ross

Last edited by Surfcnc; Mon 04 January 2010 at 05:27.. Reason: Spelling
Old Mon 04 January 2010, 07:32
AuS MaDDoG
Just call me: Tony #71

Brisbane
Australia
Hi Ross,

Making some great progress!! we will all need to catch up and have a beer or two one day!!

Good Luck with the build.

Cheers
Tony.
Old Tue 05 January 2010, 00:26
Claudiu
Just call me: Claus #43

Arad
Romania
Good luck with your build.
The new parts look great. Now just make a beast out of them...
Old Tue 05 January 2010, 01:08
Surfcnc

Queensland
Australia
Cheers Tony and Claus.
Old Tue 05 January 2010, 02:40
Surfcnc

Queensland
Australia
Adjustable Feet

Given that nothing is level where the machine will be placed some adjustable feet were always in the design. Found some quite reasonable feet at http://fallshaw.com.au here in Australia. They have a 60mm diameter foot with a grip pad, a 12 mm shaft, a swiveling ball joint and will take 800 kg load each.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Adjustable Feet.jpg (37.6 KB, 7190 views)
Old Wed 06 January 2010, 20:57
Surfcnc

Queensland
Australia
Countersinking Y Car and Gantry Carrier Plates

Lesson learnt for this exercise, keep trying and keep buying.

Started out with a set of 3 cheap countersinks with four cutting faces each as a test, the packet said suitable for wood and mild steel. Maybe, but not the steel I had!
My bin is now coincidently heavier by exactly the same weight as my test countersink.

Second attempt was a 12.5 mm Frost one flute counter sink. It cut like butter but was not wide enough to allow the bolt to sit flush. Took a few measurements of the bolt head and it was 16mm wide by 5mm deep, so my 12.5 mm cutter was never going to do the job, but proved nicely that the one flute steel cutter was the go.

Next step was to get totally robbed (Joke) buying a 28mm one flute Sutton countersink. There was an intermediate 20mm size but it worked out at nearly the same price, so proceeded with the bigger is better strategy. The guys down at Trade Tools Direct (our local tool gurus) had a good laugh with me as I cringed handing over the 94 AUD for the cutter. Pleased to report the expensive countersink worked perfectly and produced a result that was spot on. The bolt heads sat perfectly flush and the original hole was still the same nice tight fit. The last photo shows me test fitting a bolt, just a touch more was needed to finish up flush.

The one flute counter sink moved the plates a lot when cutting, so two clamps were required to stay on center. The technique that gave the best result was dropping the counter sink into the hole, clamping one side then the other while the countersink remained in the hole with some pressure to ensure it was centrally located.
Old Wed 06 January 2010, 21:52
AuS MaDDoG
Just call me: Tony #71

Brisbane
Australia
Very nice!!!!

You might be able to hire that $94 countersink bit out to Paul and I and recoupe some back!! haha!!

Looks like Paul and I are going to have to get a move on, your moving ahead at blinding speed

Cheers
Tony.
Old Wed 06 January 2010, 21:57
Sherman McCoy
Just call me: "Krasch"

Portland,OR
United States of America
Well done. The first countersink I used produce an embarassing amount of chatter marks. I subsequently bought a 4 flute 1/4" bit that seemed to work better, but still not as nice as yours.
Old Wed 06 January 2010, 22:54
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
A lot of people just use a bigger drill bit as a countersink.
Old Wed 06 January 2010, 23:14
Surfcnc

Queensland
Australia
Thanks Gerald - I got hung up on the angle of the cutter fitting the head of the countersunk bolt exactly and was not game to deviate. I have no experience with metal working, so any suggestions are always welcome.
Regards
Ross
Old Wed 06 January 2010, 23:53
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
A new drill will cut about 120 degrees instead of 90 degrees. DIY guys who hand-sharpen drills, tend to grind them nearer to 90 degrees. An exact match of the angles does not make the joint any stronger. . . . . in our case we are only lightly tightening the screws against plastic washers.

Those wood/steel cutters you first tried . . . . . did you lubricate them? With lubrication, they will last many times better in steel.

Sometimes the laser leaves a hard crust in the hole. It often helps to enlarge the lasered hole with a standard drill and then do the countersink.

Maybe we need a thread just on countersinking?
Old Thu 07 January 2010, 00:38
Surfcnc

Queensland
Australia
Yes it was lubricated with a drilling/tapping lubricant, it appears to be just a wood tool passed off as a ferrous metal bit. I do some woodwork from time to time so the other countersinks are now in my kit for that type of thing.
Old Fri 08 January 2010, 04:10
Surfcnc

Queensland
Australia
Steel and Plastic Washers

Steel arrived today, a single table leg was short by about 15mm. Back tomorrow for a replacement and then I have the bulk of the steel excepting a few bits of flat that I will get locally. Everything else was either pretty much spot on or a little long and will be OK once trimmed. The 200mm main X beams are 80 kg each, not light !

Teflon washers have eluded me, so I got to cutting some plastic ones of my own. A mechmate inspired cutting mat gave up it's cushy job in the kitchen for the cause. It was 1mm thick and only had one smooth face so two washers are required to make the 2mm specification and to present a smooth face to each of the working surfaces. The plastic will do but is a little brittle, so shout out any Aussies if you can point me to a source of 20mm and 40 mm x2 mm PTFE washers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Steel 2.jpg (38.3 KB, 6885 views)
File Type: jpg 40mm Plastic Washers.jpg (38.6 KB, 6888 views)
Old Fri 08 January 2010, 19:46
jehayes
Just call me: Joe #53

Whidbey Island, Washington
United States of America
Ross: Your progress is phenomenal! Keep the photos coming to inspire us. Joe
Old Fri 08 January 2010, 20:06
Surfcnc

Queensland
Australia
Hi Joe - Thanks. Your build thread is a fine example of where I would like to be. Really liked the tapping set up for the x rails you used.
Regards Ross
Old Sat 09 January 2010, 00:19
Claudiu
Just call me: Claus #43

Arad
Romania
Hi Ross, congrats for your progress,
For the teflon washers I cut out mine from an indoor paint bucket. They work great and do their job. Don`t spend too much time and money looking for teflon if its not available.
Old Sat 09 January 2010, 01:53
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Agree, the material can be any "slippery feeling" plastic and it can be thinner than 2mm.
Old Sat 09 January 2010, 04:07
Surfcnc

Queensland
Australia
Bolt Together Design for Lower Table - Cutting Oil Experiment

Thanks for the clarification Claudio and Gerald - I have made quite a few washers from the plastic mat but still need to do some 20mm ones. An Aussie has come up with a source for "Teflon" sheet, so I'm now flush with options.

A bolt together table design appeals to me, certainly lots more work but I like the idea of breaking the machine down into more manageable units for transport or long term storage. Time to drill some holes and test how the drill press cuts through metal far thicker than I have ever attempted to machine.

Sharpened a 5mm bit for the pilot and it just sailed through, applying cutting oil liberally all the while the bit spun in the work. Then got out my very blunt, previously abused 12mm bit and found it was just not going to happen without a big sharpen. Got it sharp but not overly symmetrical so it seemed to cut on one face only. Worked nicely none the less and took very little time to move thorough the steel.

Seemed to using lots of cutting oil, so I attempted to make some of my own. Ingredients were 88 ml of 3 in 1 oil (one can), 100 ml of full synthetic motor oil and 800 ml of kerosene. It looks and smells like a product I bought at 15 AUD for 250ml, so here is hoping it works. The 10% oil to 90% kerosene mix Gerald gave the details for on the forum gave me reasonable confidence the the home-brew mix was on the right track, I will report back on that one in time. In the shop bought product I could definitely detect the blue colour of the kerosene we have here in Australia, the smell of citronella and a slight surface foaming when shaken. My "product" replicates all these characteristics.

Here are some photos of drilling and marking the plates for the table legs. Lots more to go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg You Can Never Have Too Many Clamps.jpg (38.9 KB, 6835 views)
File Type: jpg Leg Plate Pilot and 12mm Hole.jpg (38.1 KB, 6812 views)
File Type: jpg Bolt in Plate Ready to Drill Pilot.jpg (38.4 KB, 6771 views)
File Type: jpg Plates for the Top Rail Lots to Go.jpg (38.7 KB, 6770 views)
Old Sat 09 January 2010, 15:20
Besser
Just call me: Besser

Vic
Australia
Just back from Holidays and am impressed to see your progress! I better get stuck in to mine.

For the washers I also used cutting board., ALDI did/do cutting boards... they are thicker but not MM Blue.
Old Sun 10 January 2010, 04:21
Surfcnc

Queensland
Australia
Besser, perfect weather for a holiday, shame it had to end. Hope you enjoy your time on your mechmate project as much as I am.

Apologies to Claus for my incorrect spelling of your user name.

Ross
Old Mon 11 January 2010, 05:08
Surfcnc

Queensland
Australia
More Drilling

Worked away on attaching some more plates to the table legs. Finished up the eight plates on the outside of the PFC and have four of the plates that sit inside the channel attached.

The inside plates were marked and drilled from the top (or outside of the C section) so I could work off nice square edges for the measurements. Once drilled they were then transfered to their spot inside the C section. I used a scribing pencil to mark the position of plates on the steel - worked like a beauty leaving a nice visible line to work off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Inside Plates For Top Attached.jpg (38.9 KB, 6652 views)
File Type: jpg Inside Plate Marked Up On the Outside.jpg (38.3 KB, 6639 views)

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read