MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Common Assemblies & Parts > Rails & Rollers
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old Sun 16 November 2008, 17:06
eesanopi
Just call me: Edgar

Morelos
Mexico
Butcher saw V-wheels on e-Bay - can they be used?

Hi,

I'm in the proccess to acquire the components for my CNC router, I found this wheels in ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/V-Groove-Butcher...742.m153.l1262

This kind of V wheels are used in butcher saw machines, they are real steel ball bearings and price is low, I think they are sealed, because they must be designed to work in the wet and dirty enviroment of a butcher shop.

What do you think about it?, Could I use this bearings in my project?

Any help will be grateful
Attached Images
File Type: jpg One.jpg (4.9 KB, 625 views)
File Type: jpg Two.jpg (5.9 KB, 623 views)
Old Sun 16 November 2008, 18:08
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Those bearings on first glance look to be a little small in diameter compared to the ones that are specified for the mechmate. Hard to tell without dimensioning. Also the V groove looks to be larger than those specified for the mechmate. The v bearings are probably one area that you would not want to deviate too much if you would like the performance of the design to be maintained.
Old Sun 16 November 2008, 18:40
bradm
Just call me: Brad #10

Somerville(MA)
United States of America
Ebay page says these are "V" groove . 1 5/8" diameter, 3/8" core , 1/2" wide. Ball bearing center core.

BWC size 3 are 1.8" or so, just under 1/2" bore IIRC.

I agree with Heath, you may have trouble in a number of different spots: you'll have a lot less eccentric (if any) to work with on the Z axis due to the 3/8" bore. The diameter change will affect some of the clearances on the X and Y axis, although I can envisage a little grinding if it's too close.
Finally, as Heath points out, if that V is too wide (or not at 45 degrees), you'll have to re-engineer the rails, and that sound pretty scary.
Old Sun 16 November 2008, 19:37
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
This is one area I would not want to deviate from. The performance specifications on the real #3BWC or Superior Bearing equivalent meet some very critical criteria - namely horizontal thrust, and vertical gantry/y-car ride height.

The bearing diameter dictates the gap distance between the motor mount swing arm and the pinion. This vertical dimension does not like to be changed.

I would stay with the specified bearings in the package or purchase the appropriate ones.
Old Mon 17 November 2008, 00:21
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
This thread originated on the CNCzone:
http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?p=527253
Old Mon 17 November 2008, 20:12
eesanopi
Just call me: Edgar

Morelos
Mexico
Hi,

I'm in love with the mechmate machine design, but in this moment myCNC project is limited in budget, however I was thinkin a lot in your opinions because in the future I'lll construct a mechmate, I'll go for original V bearings.

Thanks for your comments.
Closed Thread

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read