MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Introduce yourself and start planning
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 13 April 2009, 13:55
robertmonroe
Just call me: Robert

El Paso
United States of America
Want to get started on my 5'x10' working area CNC - El Paso, US

Want to get started on my 5'x10' working area MechMate CNC. Both metal working guys flaked out on me. I'm looking for someone in the El Paso, Texas , USA area who wants to work with me constructing my Router.
Old Mon 13 April 2009, 19:39
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Robert,

Fellow-Texan, I'm happy to help, but too far away for on-site visits.

If you are a Do-it-yourself kind of guy, the MechMate is feasible for you to do yourself. I'm a woodworker, not a metalworker, and I did it.

You will need to do some steel cutting, welding, grinding, drilling and tapping.
These can all be done with reasonably priced tools. A abrasive cut-off saw and angle grinder are must haves. I highly recommend a drill press. Use Craigslist. Get to know your Harbor Freight store. I used Harbor Freight taps for all taps except the Bottom-Hole taps in the X-Rail and Y-Rail. The best thing I did was buy some tapping fluid. Makes a big difference. I didn't break any taps.

You don't have to have a Metal Mill, Metal Lathe or Metal Cutting Bandsaw. I don't.

If you don't want to cut and grind the V-rails, go with pre-ground V-rails.

Get to know the plans. Stick to the plans.

Looking forward to your build. Best of luck.

Regards,
John
Old Tue 14 April 2009, 20:35
robertmonroe

El Paso
United States of America
John, thank you for your encouraging words. I'm not a metal worker and know nothing about welding so that's what's held me back.

What are good palces to find steel?
Old Wed 15 April 2009, 07:07
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Robert,

I just Googled "steel suppliers Austin" and found some suppliers. It will require telephone calls to the suppliers to get Quotes. You'll need to describe your requirements in terms of stock size and number of pieces.

As an example, most people use C (channel) for the Main Beams. I did. To further specify C (channel) you need to specify a Width and Weight per foot. In my case it's 8" and 13.75 pounds per foot. So the specification is C8 X 13.75 X 20'. This is a little wider (8" instead of 7") and a little heavier than required. But it was "surplus" steel and was cheaper ($110 per stick versus about $200 per stick). In the US steel generally comes in standard 20' lengths or in some cases 24' lengths. Most steel yards only sell a full length. However, most yards have a steel cutting saw and will cut the steel to your specified length(for and extra charge) AND give you the "drop". Check with your supplier to see if they will sell you a specified length (they keep the drop) or if you have to pay for the full length, and YOU take the drop.

Some steel suppliers will even cut your steel on an angle. I had the Main Beams cut at an angle. I had to supply a drawing of the requirement. They charged me $12 to make the cut.

If you don't have a trailer you can check with the steel yard to see if they will deliver the steel (for a charge of course). Another option is to get it cut to short enough lengths to haul in a pick-up truck. In your case your main beams will be nearly 12' for a 10' table. (DO YOUR OWN SIZING BASED ON THE PLANS). When the yard is going to cut your steel, double check the specifications. I double checked the specifications and they still messed up the order. But since, I had the specifications on the Quote, they took the responsibility for the mistake and cut my order from new stock at no charge to me.

Another option is to rent a trailer. Around Austin you can rent a trailer for $20-$30 a day. If you have a friend with a trailer, that's even better.

You might have to use more than one supplier to get all the sizes you need. I used two suppliers.

The surplus C Channel was only available at Triple-S Steel at their Houston location. That's about 170 miles from Austin. Probably too far to go from El Paso. They also have a yard in San Antonio...still might be a little far to go for you. The San Antonio yard doesn't carry the "surplus" steel.

I created a spreadsheet to work out my steel order. I just looked at it and I'm not proud of it, but it did the job for me. If you have Excel (or a work-a-like) and would like to take a look at the spreadsheet, send me a PM and I'll send the spreadsheet to you. Remember, since our tables are different sizes, YOU MUST calculate your own steel sizes.

Best of luck,
John
Old Wed 15 April 2009, 11:03
robertmonroe

El Paso
United States of America
John, you are a great help and are giving me the boost in confidence to get started. I will PM you for the spreadsheet.
Thanks again!

Robert

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read