MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sun 06 November 2011, 22:36
baseball43v3r
Just call me: John #96

Glendora (California)
United States of America
alright so... an update!

The machine is primed and painted a very nice Mechmate blue, I still have a little left on the rails to paint, but I haven't gotten around to making a trip to King Bolt to get some stuff for the rail grinder jig. Hopefully if the rain lets up here soon I can make more progress on that end.

For the electronics, I've everything except DIN terminals and a few other odds and ends. I'm working on turning motors right now, and I'm fairly confident I've got them wired correctly, but where I come into problems is the PS wiring. I've read somewhere that the pmdx can be supplied power from a USB cable, but I couldn't find more information then that, or if I should try and connect it with 5v from my PS and how to do that (i assume through the use of a transformer). I also can't wrap my head around the wiring of the power to the drives, and i'm a little fearful of burning one up, so I've been reading and going verrryyyy slowly.

Thats all for now, and I'll try and get a few pictures up if the weather permits, and if anyone has any advice I'd appreciate it. Still plugging along in California
John
Old Mon 07 November 2011, 11:02
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
What BOB are you using?
Old Mon 07 November 2011, 12:16
baseball43v3r

Glendora (California)
United States of America
the pmdx 126, I posted in the thread for your setup Mike, the only thing i'm not using in that setup are the motherboards, but that's not an issue as I figured out how the gecko's are wired.. just not the PS
Old Mon 07 November 2011, 15:56
MetalHead

Columbiana AL
United States of America
PS is an Antek? If it is this post look at the PS

http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showt...14&postcount=1

It has the black wires in a terminal block connected to the hot and the red wires are connected to the neutral. You can see this in the next pic if you look again at the red and black terminals. The hot and neutral come off of the contactor to the terminal blocks (White and Black wires). Then I take white and black wires from the terminals to the PMDX for power where black is 115v and white is neutral. I am going to expand that thread in the next few days actually and will explain this more over in the thread. I have just been busy doing a few other things.
Old Mon 21 November 2011, 18:49
baseball43v3r

Glendora (California)
United States of America
Ah after much trial and error, I've got the power wired to everything. I was confused about the pmdx power wiring but after some searching I've got green lights on the pmdx and the gecko. I've installed mach3 on my computer and I've got it connected to the pmdx and they are talking to each other.

My problem now is getting the program to respond to my commands. Everytime i test the motor (by using the keys) the motor responds by humming and not moving. I've tried 2 different motors to single out the motor and thats not it. I know i've got my resistor set correctly, and the gecko has power, so I'm not sure where i've gone wrong. Can anyone shed some light on this issue? I've never done a project like this, and so I've been taking it slow, but I feel a little out of my element on this thing. So any help I can get would be fantastic.
Old Mon 21 November 2011, 20:24
MetalHead

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Pictures and a detail of your parts will help for starters.
Old Mon 21 November 2011, 22:32
baseball43v3r

Glendora (California)
United States of America
ah sorry, should have posted that info in the post.
hardware:
pmdx 126
gecko 203v
antek 48 volt, 800 watt power supply
keling 640 ounce stepper motor.
resistor is 422K

IMAG0038.jpg

IMAG0039.jpg

IMAG0040.jpg

IMAG0042.jpg

IMAG0043.jpg
Old Tue 22 November 2011, 04:59
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball43v3r View Post
. . . . .the motor responds by humming and not moving. . .
that's typical when you have "step" and "direction" crossed over somewhere. Instead of stepping along in one direction, it sits and changes direction all the time.
Old Tue 22 November 2011, 06:23
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
I would look at the stepper wiring. Take them all out and to start only use HALF the stepper windings. I think you have some phase swopped.
motor.jpg

Maybe the wiring info is wrong from Keling ???....looks like you are connecting the stepper as Bipolar (Parallel )

Last edited by Kobus_Joubert; Tue 22 November 2011 at 06:38..
Old Tue 22 November 2011, 07:10
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Don't you have your STEPS per in MACH3 not too high and your velocity too low.
I know I use other drivers and steppers, but mine is about 51 steps per and velocity 2000 I think.
Old Tue 22 November 2011, 08:07
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Kobus, you are Steps Per Millimeter, while John is probably Steps Per Inch
Old Tue 22 November 2011, 08:55
JasonC
Just call me: Jason

Soldotna,AK
United States of America
I had similiar problems, I wired mine Bipolar parallel then corrected my pins and ports.

Jason
Old Tue 22 November 2011, 10:42
baseball43v3r

Glendora (California)
United States of America
@Kobus and Gerald
I'm fairly confident on the wiring, but i did do half the stepper winding with no results. I believe Mike also had his motors wired up the same way and I checked against his pictures to make sure. I am doing this in steps per Inch as well. I tried changing the settings for pins 8 and 9 and reversed their step and directions with no luck this morning.

@JasonC
what was your procedure for correcting your pins and ports?

again guys, thanks for the continued help.
Old Tue 22 November 2011, 11:06
MetalHead

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Yes I wired mine the same. So that should be ok.
Old Tue 22 November 2011, 11:08
MetalHead

Columbiana AL
United States of America
http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showt...14&postcount=1

Look at the red jumper block. You need to enable the charge pump.
Old Tue 22 November 2011, 11:18
MetalHead

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Also disable Step Active low.
Old Tue 22 November 2011, 11:19
MetalHead

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Let us see the port setup also. If your at 45Khz you can run at 3000 Steps, 750 Velocity and 80 on the acceleration for testing.
Old Tue 22 November 2011, 14:08
baseball43v3r

Glendora (California)
United States of America
@Mike
enabled the charge pump, disabled step active low and here is the pic of the port setup. After the changes I've still got no movement. On the board before, I had multiple lights light up, I think the output ports were lit up as well as the light saying outputs enabled. After flipping on the charge pump, and restarting the computer, the only light that comes on is the power on button, is this behavior indicative of anything?
IMAG0044.jpg
Old Tue 22 November 2011, 14:29
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Did you change the Parallel LPT port settings in the BIOS of your computer per the Mach 3 instructions?
Old Tue 22 November 2011, 15:20
baseball43v3r

Glendora (California)
United States of America
What section is that under? 2.2.1 just deals with the drivertest (which it passed) and 5.2.1 is just the windows settings (which I believe to be correct. can you give me the section number to which part you are referring to?
Old Tue 22 November 2011, 15:36
baseball43v3r

Glendora (California)
United States of America
i verified that the parallel port is the correct one. Before when the charge pump wasn't enabled, the board would make a clicking sound when power was first applied, I assume that was a small breaker tripping, or is that normal? Also when the charge pump wasn't enabled the light for pin 8 was lit up. Now that the charge pump is enabled, the only light on the board that lights up is the Power one.
Old Tue 22 November 2011, 16:03
smreish

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
http://www.pmdx.com/PMDX-122, page 5 of the manual.

Are you using the PMDX 122? If so, check to see if it matches this guide.
Old Tue 22 November 2011, 16:16
baseball43v3r

Glendora (California)
United States of America
I'm using the pmdx-126, but i'll give that guide a look when i get back tonight.
Old Tue 22 November 2011, 17:39
MetalHead

Columbiana AL
United States of America
next step is to rotate between pin numbers. Even though the PMDX says 8,9 try 1,2 just to see if that is the issue.
Old Tue 22 November 2011, 17:40
MetalHead

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Also need to be sure your wires that have the crimped ends have been stripped.
Old Tue 22 November 2011, 20:17
timberlinemd
Just call me: Steve #66

Arizona
United States of America
So the BIOS is set to a EPP state for the printer port? If so look at post #2 http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2750. It's a long shot but solved my problem. Ignor the fact I have the G-540, the problem would be the same.

Last edited by timberlinemd; Tue 22 November 2011 at 20:18.. Reason: spelling
Old Wed 23 November 2011, 01:33
smreish

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Steve,
Thank you. That is what I was trying to convey with respect to EPP mode. It was evading me while I was typing.
Old Wed 23 November 2011, 08:57
JasonC

Soldotna,AK
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball43v3r View Post
@Kobus and Gerald
I'm fairly confident on the wiring, but i did do half the stepper winding with no results. I believe Mike also had his motors wired up the same way and I checked against his pictures to make sure. I am doing this in steps per Inch as well. I tried changing the settings for pins 8 and 9 and reversed their step and directions with no luck this morning.

@JasonC
what was your procedure for correcting your pins and ports?

again guys, thanks for the continued help.
One other thing i noticed is Im using a Smoothstepper USB. My computer wouldnt move the motors without it.

Also my pins and ports I had to follow the manual that Mike suggested and I also reinstalled Mach3.

I can look at my setup this weekend when time permits.

Jason
Old Wed 23 November 2011, 09:01
MetalHead

Columbiana AL
United States of America
I think that focusing on the PC at this point is the correct palce to be looking. Reload of Mach and checkking EPP in the BIOS are easy and should be done.
Old Sat 26 November 2011, 10:32
JasonC

Soldotna,AK
United States of America
Any luck? Ill check my pins and ports today. Also if you can use the SmoothStepper, everything you said sounds just like what I went through to a T.

Jas

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read