MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Introduce yourself and start planning
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 29 June 2009, 18:14
jkountz
Just call me: Jim

Augusta
United States of America
Hello from the Mt. State (WV)

Greetings all, Im Jim from Augusta, WV and for the last week or so I have been devouring every thread I can from this forum. I am HOOKED on Mechmate!!
I have been researching DIY CNC's for a really long time now and having looked at the Mechmate before, I finally came back to it. I was a little intimidated by the whole thing at first, actually I still am somewhat, but its starting to all click in my head.
I want badly to build one of these things!!
I am a cabinetmaker/carpenter and a General Contractor. My metal working skills are very slim however and thats what worries me most about this project.
When I look on the plans and see where certain parts are to be bent at 60 degress or double bent at 45 then again at 90, I admit I have no clue as to how to go about that!!
The electronics Im not too worried about as I do have some experience there. Probably not nearly enough, but I do have skills there. I have built several of my own PC's, I can solder etc etc.
So while I am a ways off from even attempting to start I thought I would introduce myself and see where all this goes.
Im excited just thinking about it!!

Could some of you guys who have completed the built give me some idea as to cash outlay for a Mechmate?? I though If I could get several figures then average them out for some kind of range for cost.
Maybe this has been discussed here in depth, in fact Im sure it has so if someone can point me to that part of the forum I'll research that too.

Thanks guys!!

Jim
Old Mon 29 June 2009, 19:18
Doug_Ford
Just call me: Doug #3

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
Jim,

You can do it. Lots of the guys on this forum are cabinet makers too. I think everyone who has built a MM has ordered the tough metal pieces already cut and bent. The other metal is easy to shape.

As far as price goes, I think the average is around $6000 or so. I've never added all my receipts up but I think I spent around $7000 and I wasn't a careful shopper. There has been a thread on cost and how to save money but I can't tell you where it is.
Old Tue 30 June 2009, 05:02
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Welcome Jim,

I was born near Morgantown...grew up in Ohio and now live in Texas.

I'm a woodworker, not a metal worker. I know something about electronics.
I completed my MechMate in just under 4 months.

As Doug said others have done, I purchased the laser cut parts from Joe at Sweet Home Alabama. Check it out.

My total cost was right at $4000. I was fortunate to find three used geared OM stepper motors which saved me about $700.

This forum provides GREAT support for MechMate builders like yourself. Dive in. Have fun. Happy building!

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read