MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Introduce yourself and start planning
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Thu 24 September 2009, 07:55
Tason28
Just call me: Shawn

Pittsburgh, PA
United States of America
New builder from Pittsburgh looking to get into CNC!

Hello all, I just found this site and want to know where to begin. I currently am paralyzed in a wheelchair and do woodworking out of my garage. I am looking to build a machine with a 2x4 overall footprint to cut materials from wood and plastic up to 1 inch in thickness. Am I in the right place? Thanks
Old Thu 24 September 2009, 08:01
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
The MechMate is way bigger than a 2x4 foot footprint......it is more like 2x4 yards!
Old Thu 24 September 2009, 08:21
bfauska
Just call me: Brian #30

Seattle, WA
United States of America
Shawn, I suppose you could build a machine with that size travel, but the footprint would be about 3'6"x5'.
Old Fri 25 September 2009, 21:00
TonyBert
Just call me: Tony

Centreville VA
United States of America
Shawn,

As great as a MechMate is, in the 2x4 ft size it may be overkill. You may be well served by reducing Joes 4x4 down to the 2x4 size as several builders have done, in addition one of the builders is also wheel chair bound. The 8020 Aluminium extrusions and unistrut maybe easier flr you to handle then steel channels.

Since you are in Pittsburgh, the upcoming Vectric workshop in early November out at the airport maybe very informative if you are just starting off with CNC software.

Good Luck

Tony
Old Fri 16 October 2009, 09:10
swaggs21
Just call me: Chris

Fairmont, WV
United States of America
Shawn,

I am also a Joe Hybrid owner like Tony, and I live about 2 hours south of Pittsburgh close to Clarksburg, WV. If there is something I can help you with or if you would like to see a CNC run in person (not sure if you have), please feel free to contact me via pm.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read