MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Common Assemblies & Parts > Rails & Rollers
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Tue 03 November 2009, 15:41
oddname
Just call me: frallan #57

skane
Sweden
DIY-rails Which type of angle iron must be purchased?

I might be going blind but cant find any info on the L-profiles.
How big is enough for them?? I'd guess they need to be 6mm thich atleast but is like 50x50 or 60x60 the way to go with the other numbers?

//frallan
Old Tue 03 November 2009, 16:31
ifffff
Just call me: Ivo #38 & #130

Parnu
Estonia
Material for rails is easiest to find 60*60*6 angle iron. It may be one side shorter too for example 30*60*6. 50mm wide rail is acceptable too but in that case may be threading beams be little more complicated because their inner side is rounded

Last edited by ifffff; Tue 03 November 2009 at 16:34..
Old Tue 03 November 2009, 18:20
Robert M
Just call me: Robert

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert M Send a message via Skype™ to Robert M
Going blind…I don’t know…maybe !
Not reading the plans…I’d presume -> YEP !

Go to the download page, download the plans, then go to page M1 10 110 MB to see steel rail details. Take also note on all plans, pay attention to the “title block”, (the lower right box with the plan info) and notice in that box own upper left corner, there is often a reference of other plan related or “Higher drawing/s” to see !

Remember to read all plans a few time, get to know them almost by hart, then read lots, lots of threads & post….Then if you still wonder of something, yep, we will there to either direct you or assist you

Enjoy…Amicalement, Robert
Old Tue 03 November 2009, 20:10
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Small correction to Robert: The drawing M1 10 110 M B was revised in June 2008 to revision C.
Old Sat 07 November 2009, 17:41
oddname
Just call me: frallan #57

skane
Sweden
Another question, would the diy-rails works as Alu too?
The pre-made ones uses a smaller Alu iron but could it be done completely in Alu without the screw-on rails?
Old Sat 14 November 2009, 06:23
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Alu will be too soft. Maybe okay for hobby use (2 hours per week) but it will not last for production (45 hours per week)
Old Sat 14 November 2009, 07:41
Conrado_Navarro
Just call me: CONRADO NAVARRO #55

OBREGON
Mexico
Send a message via MSN to Conrado_Navarro Send a message via Yahoo to Conrado_Navarro
Gerald.
I use aluminim rails (US$ 10 3 mts/pair , those ones you use on sliding doors, as you said they work excelent but I use them only 4 to 5 hrs/week.
Future improvement will be from steel.
Regards

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read