MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Fri 14 May 2010, 06:59
Cois
Just call me: Cois #63

Pretoria
South Africa
MM Quick Build #63 - Pretoria South Africa

The plan is to build a MM for cutting with Router (3612C OR old small Bosh) and Plasma (Thermadine). The MM is for Hobby use. Maybe my sons (in High school) can make some money with small jobs.

Finish buying the steel for the frame and rails. Still waiting for quotation for Rack & pinion and CNC stuff.

Main Beams will be 2.5m long C-Channel - 150x75 (The Racks come in 2m length). I am still uncertain about the Y - length, must accept a 1225 board.

Hope fully starts cutting the V-rails tomorrow.

I still don’t know what to use for the motors, BOB ex. There is so many information to take in and decisions to take. (Example: gearbox = some back lash VS. Belt = no back lash).

Have appointment with Kobus Joubert this afternoon
Old Fri 14 May 2010, 07:09
hennie
Just call me: Hennie #23

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
One step at a time, lot of reading Good luck.
Old Fri 14 May 2010, 11:56
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
I had a busy aftenoon. First those okes with the BIG BIG BIG machine came to have a look, and after them, Cois popped in. Nice to meet with you guys and I hope your builds will soon be finished and give you as much joy and pleasure as old BBB gives to me.

Go for it chaps, let's see some more blue one of these day's.
Old Fri 14 May 2010, 12:05
CoRn3
Just call me: Corné

Pretoria
South Africa
Hehe...yes, we had the first appointment for the afternoon at BBB's. Thanks for having us Kobus; always nice to meet a friendly guy who shares the passion!

Cois, good luck on the build. We've been quite lucky in terms of suppliers, if you run into any difficulties, we'll be happy to help where we can.
Old Fri 14 May 2010, 13:24
Codered741
Just call me: Cody

Lancaster (Pennsylvania)
United States of America
Plasma

Welcome!

Just one thing to note with the plasma, the cutting surface needs to be electrically isolated from the rest of the frame, especially if the power supply is a high frequency start. Before we isolated our cutting surface, everytime we tried to strike an arc, the BOB freaked out and triggered all the inputs!
Some fiberglass strips, and some fancy fiberglass bolts took care of it, but just a heads up.

-Cody
Old Tue 18 May 2010, 07:04
Cois

Pretoria
South Africa
Paying for things

With all the coruption out there, is it save to give your Credit card number over the internet. www.pmdx.com and www.motionking.com.

Even PayPal (I dont know the system) want to direct link my C/C tot there system. Can't I transfer money to a PayPal Account and used the money. My idee is that if there is no money in a account, it cant be stolen.

Do anybody know the South Africa "Mach 3 breakoutboard"

Hope the Forum can Help me!!
Old Tue 18 May 2010, 07:06
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
PayPal is save. If you have a FNB account they have PayPal facilities on their site.

BOB you get from Greg in Edenvale. www.cncdirect.co.za
Old Tue 18 May 2010, 07:37
Cois

Pretoria
South Africa
What hidden cost is involved? This will be the first time that I get something over the water!

I learn that PayPal ask 2% currency exchange.

Let say South Africa ask import duties (IF they don’t accept the theory that is bought for samples)

And the cherry on top, somebody highjack your C/C no.

I am with Standard bank. Can I ask you (Kobus) to buy it after I transfer the money. What is your banking fees?
Old Tue 18 May 2010, 10:44
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Change your bank . FNB internet banking is FAR FAR more advanced than Standard Bank.
Speak to Corne. They are also planning to bring in stuff from China I think.
If that fails contact me again and we can see if we can make a plan
Old Tue 18 May 2010, 14:42
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
The BOB from Greg is a goodie, battled with the Bob Campbell board but its all been good with the CNC Direct board. His pricing on the Gecko's is also good (especially when you take into account transport costs and import duties - YES - SARS will charge you for them and they are not shy, they dont care if they are samples or not!!!

I have found Paypal to be safe for transferring funds.
Old Wed 19 May 2010, 00:17
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
To avoid SARS getting interested in your shipment:
- have it sent to a personal name and street address (company names and industrial addresses get them hungry, and they will insist that you use a "clearing agent")
- make sure that the description on the supplier's invoice can be correlated with a description in the local rule book that says how much duty must be paid. (anything from 0% to about 20%)
- do not accept a supplier's offer to show a lesser amount on the invoice than what you actually paid . . . SARS is wise to this ancient trick of reducing duties and taxes
- you cannot avoid SARS charging 14% VAT.

To make sure that your shipment doesn't get lost:
- Don't accept shipment via the sending country's "post office" (the government subsidised version). Their post office will send to our post office and then the wheels fall off...I lost 4 gecko's like this. The post office in the US is called USPS....not the same as UPS!
- The parcel must be very clearly labelled, including a local telephone number.
- The package must obviously also be strong.

Paypal is safe. Sending credit card info (including CVV) is also safe, but don't be surprised if your card suddenly gets strange deductions and you then have to spend a lot of time with banks to get the deductions reversed. With my last US import against a credit card, a train ticket was purchased in Italy for R1000 a day later. Fortunately, the italian train ticket scam was well known to the banks and my affadavit at the police station was not too long.
Old Wed 19 May 2010, 01:03
Cois

Pretoria
South Africa
Hi Gerald
Where can we find the local rule book on the web for SARS. Or do somebody no what codes to use.

Thanks for the advice Gerald.

After Friday visit to Kobus to see a real MM, I start thinking about the damping of the structure.

Damping is all about MASS. Why not pack a layer of bricks under the waste board to add weight. For every square mete, 55 or more bricks can be accommodate, let say ‘n brick weight is 3kg. It’s a total of 165kg/square meter. Mamparas (Cheep bricks) cost about R1/each, much cheaper than steel. Yes there must be no caps, a light cement mixture can be used to fill gap
Old Wed 19 May 2010, 01:18
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Cois let Me know when you are ready for the Gecko`s I need 8 so we can bring yours in with mine.
Old Wed 19 May 2010, 01:18
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Cois, As you said, Damping is all about MASS, you can use sand, stone, hydraulic shocks absorbers, construction debris, water, ice cubes.... etc etc... or just construct an elevated concrete bed, embed the table in concrete... Cement is cheap here, we build our house from cement & brick rather then timber or steel here.

Its your choice.
Old Wed 19 May 2010, 04:39
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cois View Post
Where can we find the local rule book . . . .
An extract: http://www.cargoinfo.co.za/customs/customstree.asp
Old Fri 21 May 2010, 05:24
Cois

Pretoria
South Africa
Gerald, thanks for the custom (Import/Export) site.

Just to makes sure: I must ask them to put the description and code on the package for the stepper motor from MotionKing:

8501.31 Motor of an Output not exceeding 750w.

What is the CD that is in the second column of the table?
Old Fri 21 May 2010, 08:44
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
On the package must only be your name, address and contact tel. number.

But on the invoice (the document is the gospel to the Customs), MotionKing must put a clear description. Suggest you ask them to put:

Electrical stepper motor 200 Watt (take power supply voltage X motor current)
Old Mon 24 May 2010, 03:20
Cois

Pretoria
South Africa
I have a Idea.

Why not start 'n WIKI book about the MM machine.

The Idea is that all the clever guys can add there valuable contribution to the building process, setup and commissioning in a orderly manner. Something likes a MM Bible.

Here is a nice sample of a WIKI: http://www.wug.za.net/wiki/index.php..._ip_user_guide.
Old Wed 02 June 2010, 02:06
Cois

Pretoria
South Africa
Rack & Pinion

Receive my Module 1 & 22 Tooth pinion today. Nusaf don’t stock a 24 teeth.

I am still waiting for my 34HS9801 motor in the post from Motion king.

According to motion king the shaft diameter of the motor is 14mm.
The pinion diameter is 18mm.

How do you connect the two? There is not enough “meat” for a screw threat???
Old Wed 02 June 2010, 02:34
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Go for 27 tooth or make a sleeve to get enough meat for grub screw. I started with a 20 tooth and had to go the sleeve route.
Old Wed 02 June 2010, 05:22
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
This forum is the user guide No Wiki Needed.
Old Mon 14 June 2010, 04:32
Cois

Pretoria
South Africa
My MM was given its first coat of blue this weekend. Kobus you promise me a MM Sticker (please give me a quotation).

One question, Why not bolt the control box on to the machine, under the waist board. I see in all the photos the box is bolt to a wall.
Old Mon 14 June 2010, 05:24
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Control box is your preference..any place you feel like it will do.
Will do the stickers tonight. 2 Big 2 Small is that OK
Old Mon 14 June 2010, 08:20
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Cois, the machine vibrates and if you need to work on your box it is easyer to work standing than to kneel on the floor although there are some builders who mounted on the machine with no troubles.
Old Mon 05 July 2010, 02:47
Cois

Pretoria
South Africa
Up and running

After struggling with the jumper settings on the PMDX 122, my MM is up and running. Make a pensile holder yesterday and draw some lines. I think it is the safest way to learn!!! After a boo-boo, just change the sheet of paper.

Is there still serial numbers to finish machines?

Now I must learn the software. Please can someone help me with the following?
• The arrow keys on the key board to move the axis (XYZ) don’t work sometimes. I must press the wrong something. The Jog On/Off (Ctrl ALT J) is green and the Fly out work when I click it with the mouse to move the axis. The only way I can get out is to re-start the program.

• My Y –axis is moving Right and counting up (that is how I want it), but I must used the Left key-board button to move to the right. In the literature they said “This is done by selecting System Hotkeys in the config menu”…..I tried it many ways, but it don’t work.

• The X-near and X-far (slaved axis) work in normal mode together. But if I want to “ref all home” On the “
Program Run Alt1” page. The MM seeks the Z-home, the Y-home, but on the X axis, only the X near motor is turning, the X Far motor won’t turn WHY.

Thanks
Francois
Old Mon 05 July 2010, 03:51
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
If you bought the BOB from Greg in Edenvale it would cost you a local call and he will sort you out chop chop.....Now it is a different story meneer.
Old Wed 07 July 2010, 09:20
Belli
Just call me: Greg

Johannesburg
South Africa
Cool Next meeting: CSME clubhouse, July 8, 19:30.

Hello Francois,

If you are available on Thursday evening, our next meeting is at the CSME clubhouse, July 8 at 19h30. Bring your PC and your questions and I am sure we can sort it out.

Groete,
Greg
Old Wed 07 July 2010, 13:11
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
What is this CSME thing Greg ?

Ok I think I found it ... http://www.friendsoftherail.com/phpB...hp?f=50&t=1564

Last edited by Kobus_Joubert; Wed 07 July 2010 at 13:17..
Old Wed 07 July 2010, 14:34
Belli
Just call me: Greg

Johannesburg
South Africa
Thumbs up Yip, that's it!

We have started a 'Workshop Machinery Club'. It is still early days but there are around 20 active members, meetings were Fridays but we will try Thursdays to see if it suits more people. We have had a few meetings discussing primarily EMC and there is a growing support base of EMC users (because it is free and it is good!).

I can email a map for all of those who are interested.

Groete,
Greg
Old Sun 25 July 2010, 03:26
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
I KNOW that this machine is painted and making DUST. Come on Cois SHOW us the pictures....you don't have to be shy anymore. When you have built your own MechMate you must be PROUD of it and show the world.

Help me Mike, Gerald, get this guy to show us and give the man his number.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read