MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Miscellaneous hardware and software > Miscellaneous / General / Whatever / Catchall
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Thu 05 February 2009, 22:29
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Off-topic - Bearing failure on swimming pool pump

I have a problem with bearings on my pool pump motor.
Everything was working fine one day. No noise from the motor and bearing...it pumped like a dream.

The timer went off that afternoon. The next morning when the timer started the pump one bearing had seized up during the night....causing the motor to burn the windings.

My question to the bearing experts out there is ....HOW can a bearing work one day and the next day at startup it is completely seized solid...no movement. It is still in one piece and looks fine from the outside. It has a metal seal for what it is worth and it is a SKF bearing. Thank's
Old Thu 05 February 2009, 22:46
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Did your pool pump motor really burn? Most pool pump motors have a thermal cutout switch with a reset button.

That bearing failure doesn't surprise me at all. The bearing only seizes solid as it cools down after the motor died.
Old Fri 06 February 2009, 01:55
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Yes this one had no thermal cutout. I got home and was told that the earth leakage has tripped. I then checked the pump.... I removed the earth...thought it got wet with all the rain we had lately.... I switched it on.....it only did the funny BUZZ sound and I started to see little bit of smoke.

Checked with the meter and found the windings going to earth. Stripped it and I could see it was burned. R 450.00 for a rewound...will get it back on Wednesday next week.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read