MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Introduce yourself and start planning
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 22 March 2010, 21:34
cvriv.charles
Just call me: charles

New Jersey
United States of America
Computer Modeling Done - New Jersey, USA

Hello My name is Charles and i'm going to build a MechMate

I've actually been posting here and there within the forum. I just havent started my own log. Until now I've been trying to get a few things together before creating a log. I just needed to be sure that I would be able to actually build a machine.

I needed a shop for this beast. So my girlfriend and I bought a house with a huge garage Not for the sole purpose of building a mechmate, well,... we made sure the house had a big garage for the sole purpose of the machine I'll leave it at that.

Then,... I needed money for this thing. A machine like this for what im going to use it for, im not looking to penny pinch. You get what you pay for. I need a fast accurate machine that will last. So, in the USA for a brief time, the GOV is giving a free $8000 for first time home buyers. I made sure we bought this house within that time frame. So, theres my machine right there. Just have to wait for the cash now. Should be any week now.

In the mean time I have been prepping the garage for the machine. Finishing it off. Turning it into a shop basically. That and I have been studying the plans and drawing up a 3D model so im sure of what needs to be done when the time comes.

I have some pics of the model im going to build. Post them in a second. I have to buy a vertical band saw to make all these cuts required. I could use an angle grindered but i aint got time for that. Plus i am so anal about everything being perfect,... I dont want ot have to redo something because something was a bit off. I believe that you should have the right toool for the job. Anyways. I have 2 drill presses already. A small one and a large one. I am also going to pick up a dust collector right away too. Basically get it all done at once right away. I have a small mig welder too. that will be a pain in the arse but I'll ber able to get it done.

Anyways,... here's what im going to build.

This is just a few pics. Im pretty sure I covered everything within the plans. My model isnt completely done. There are missing nuts and bolts but it doesnt really matter. The idea was to use it to learn and that I did. I have a very good understanding of the machine and will be a mechmate master once I complete the build. All I need is my money now. Wish the GOV would hurry up
Old Mon 22 March 2010, 22:28
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Finally! Welcome to the building club!

you will need a few more tools in your arsenal
1) Chopper, (abrasive disc, band saw, cold saw or even Oxy-cutter)
2) 4" angle grinder, a must
3) M6, M8, M12 spiral tap bits
4) drill bits...
6) power hand drill
7) paint brush.
8) filler gauge. (very important)
Old Tue 23 March 2010, 05:26
cvriv.charles

New Jersey
United States of America
Yea I have most of that. The one thing I dont have is a corded hand drill though. I have a feeling that im going to need it. All the metal stock im using has been bumped up in weight a bit per foot. What was already heavy is now real heavy. For the table atleast. The gantry is pretty according to plan. I might make some changes a bit here and there. While I wait for the lute now im going to assemble a shopping list and and continue working on the shop. I have to paint the floors before I build the machine. Once its built it probably wont be moved. im very excited.
Old Tue 23 March 2010, 05:29
bradm
Just call me: Brad #10

Somerville(MA)
United States of America
Alternative opinion:

2) 4.5" grinder (or two, after you burn up the first one ...)
3) 1/4", 5/16", 1/2" tap bits (if you go imperial measurements). Depending on how far you are from your supplier, you might want extras; easier to return later than lose a work session after you break one.

9) good thin cutter discs, thick discs, wire brushes for your grinder.
Old Tue 23 March 2010, 05:57
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
A power drill is very handy for corrective works. using them to drill all the holes is back breaking for my age & physique.

I use my small drill bench as a portable drill instead of the magnetic base drill or huge power drill. produce good result & fast too. I stack up the work to the correct working height of the drill bench, fiddle with the drill pulley to get the correct drill speed then move the drill bench to the hole location for drilling. Of course all good drill job needs a center punch, for start, pilot holes when necessary.

I almost forgot,
10)plenty of clamps,
G-clamps & F-clamp or what ever you fancy, you can never have enough clamps for this build, I have total 10 clamps of all sort & its just barely enough,
11) BROOM for cleaning grind dust mess....

Brad, Lucky me, I did not burn any grinder, after I read about the horried stories of smoking grinder, I went real gentle on the feed, back off a little when the grinder slow down too much or making low pitch groan then usual... As most of my tools are light duty DIY stuff, I never dare to ask too much from my low cost equipment...

Last edited by KenC; Tue 23 March 2010 at 06:14..
Old Tue 23 March 2010, 06:21
Neil
Just call me: Neil

Tas
Australia
Ken
Excuse my ignorance but what is a filler gauge
regards Neil
Old Tue 23 March 2010, 06:35
bradm

Somerville(MA)
United States of America
filler = feeler ?
Old Tue 23 March 2010, 07:44
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Sorry, spelling error...

I am so glad Brad can read my language.
Old Tue 23 March 2010, 08:45
cvriv.charles

New Jersey
United States of America
Yes. I am using a lot of different size bolts, metric and standard. I will need taps of all kinds. Will buy more than one I have a 4" grinder now. I sya I burn that out first and then buy a new one But then again I dont think I will be burning it out. I plan on using the band saw for a lot of the cuts. I might need several bandsaw blades though. I have tons of clamps too. Tons. I have 2 drill presses already. A smaller one and a large one. Maybe 16.5"? I also have a sweet shop table I already built for this kind of abuse too. its heavy as hell the table top is made of more than 2"+ of plywood. Will probably get my main beams up on it and drill position large drill press next to the table and then just slide over the beam. But then again that beam is really heavy. AndI have more holes to drill and tap than whats in the plans. I'll figure it out.
Old Tue 23 March 2010, 11:10
cvriv.charles

New Jersey
United States of America
LOL! GREAT! I got a letter from the IRS stating they need the form that represents the amount of federal tax withheld from me. Basically, they need a copy of my W2! Which means that its going to another 6 - 8 weeks before I get my return! Just my luck.

My girlfriend did my taxes with turbotax. I dont know if she was suppose to mail in a copy of my W2 intially, but im assuming yes if they are asking for it now. Whatever.

This sucks but ehhh its not that bad. Because I still have a lot of work to do on the shop. This buys me more time. I have to finish insulating and sheetrocking. Paint the floor etc.

Now one thing I have been mean to ask. Are their members here will to make parts for other members? For example, I will need a mounting brakcets out of the aluminum for my chinese spindle. Anyone willing to use thier mahcine to cnc aluminum? Also a member with a lathe willing to make the parts out of the plans for example the support bushings for the v-wheels on the spider plate and the weld on piece for press fitting a bearing for the non-motor side of the y-car?

Also,... you know how the plans call for a M8 or 5/16" nut to be weld to the back of the spider plate? Well how about using captive nuts instead?

They are pounded or pressed into the hole. They have teeth that bite the hole to prevent them from turning. Once they are in, they are hard to get out. I think I might try this instead.
Old Tue 23 March 2010, 11:48
bradm

Somerville(MA)
United States of America
Charles, have you checked out MetalHead's site?
Old Tue 23 March 2010, 12:34
Johannescnc
Just call me: John

Hannover, DE
Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvriv.charles View Post
I got a letter from the IRS stating they need the form that represents the amount of federal tax withheld from me. Basically, they need a copy of my W2! Which means that its going to another 6 - 8 weeks before I get my return! Just my luck.

My girlfriend did my taxes with turbotax. I dont know if she was suppose to mail in a copy of my W2 intially, but im assuming yes if they are asking for it now.
I think it will be common in the current times with revenue so low due to higher unemployment. I used Turbo-tax before and did not have to send a W2 in.

I think Mike AKA metalhead has a good offer on parts... too bad for me the postage would be too high!
Old Tue 23 March 2010, 14:12
cvriv.charles

New Jersey
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johannescnc View Post
I think it will be common in the current times with revenue so low due to higher unemployment. I used Turbo-tax before and did not have to send a W2 in.

I think Mike AKA metalhead has a good offer on parts... too bad for me the postage would be too high!
You probably E-Filed though right? My girlfriend E-Filed and had hers right away. Same with sister. But im the only own that could claim the new home buyer incentive. Because of that I had to mail in my my normal return along with another form for the first time home buyer. Maybe if you mail in you have to submit copies of your W2? Its so stupid in my opinion. They should know how much they held back from me. My federal return is so simple! I have one job. Make little money and pay my taxes. Just give me back what you owe! LOL. why do they need this little paper to prove such a small amount they have to pay. I know times are bad,... the way I see it, if I gave you "X" money, and you owe me "x" from "X" money. Pay up. a smaller amount from a larger amount I gave you. Anyways.

Thanks for pointing me to metalheads site! I will have to hit him up soon. I am hoping that maybe when I have my machine complete that I will be able to make stuff for other MM members.
Old Wed 24 March 2010, 04:18
quadtech
Just call me: Prasad

Hyderabad
India
What is the software you used to make the model? The pics looks loverly...
Old Wed 24 March 2010, 06:30
cvriv.charles

New Jersey
United States of America
Inventor 2009
Old Wed 24 March 2010, 06:52
SumBum
Just call me: Jay (Bum)

PA
United States of America
Very nice job on the MM model. Can't wait to see it in Steel.
Old Wed 24 March 2010, 08:38
cvriv.charles

New Jersey
United States of America
Thanks. Me too. I have been waiting a long time to do this. The real thing will look just like the model. Im good at that.
Old Wed 24 March 2010, 14:59
Johannescnc
Just call me: John

Hannover, DE
Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvriv.charles View Post
Inventor 2009
would you care to share some of the files you made... I have some too, but would be interesting to compare them...
Old Wed 24 March 2010, 15:16
cvriv.charles

New Jersey
United States of America
Sure thing. I'll upload them later and post a link
Old Wed 24 March 2010, 18:43
cvriv.charles

New Jersey
United States of America
Here are my Inventor files. All in a 36.2mb zip file.

CVRIV's MechMate Router
Old Thu 22 April 2010, 02:06
cvriv.charles

New Jersey
United States of America
Still waiting for my money This sucks. In the meantime I have been messing arond with Inventor. Drawing up some stff I wold like to ct ot when I do have my machine built.

Quick question. When drawing up parts,... do I have to give the inside corners a radius of that which is the same as a bit I will be using to cut it out? Or no?
Old Thu 22 April 2010, 03:03
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
Not really necessary as the cam program will only take the cutter to where it can fit - inside corners will be automatically radiused because of the cutter being round.
Old Thu 22 April 2010, 03:28
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Charles,

It depends on your design and what you want the parts to look like. It is true that you will get radiuse of the bit. But if the look of the part is critical then you want to draw that radius to insure you get what you want.
Old Thu 22 April 2010, 04:41
J.R. Hatcher
Just call me: J.R. #4

Wilmington, North Carolina
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to J.R. Hatcher
I use Sheetcam and I do nothing about the radius and my corners come out perfect every single time.
Old Mon 26 April 2010, 22:36
JLFIN
Just call me: Jim

glenwood iowa
United States of America
charles, those nuts are fine but only if they are cheap you only need to tac weld nuts on,
another issue is your mig welder gas or core wire
if you don't have at least 140 amp mig welder i would look at renting one alittle bigger,
just my opinion, but there is a post about welding here if you dig
Old Mon 26 April 2010, 22:54
cvriv.charles

New Jersey
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLFIN View Post
charles, those nuts are fine but only if they are cheap you only need to tac weld nuts on,
another issue is your mig welder gas or core wire
if you don't have at least 140 amp mig welder i would look at renting one alittle bigger,
just my opinion, but there is a post about welding here if you dig
I have a 140amp mig. I will just get by welding the machine together with it. Im not even going to check out that welding thread because I have already been there and have read other threads like it. The ability of a 110v mig welder is a very opinionated subject. i understand its abilities. I plan on getting something larger down the road once the machien is built.

Do you think I should I tack the captive nuts on still even though they have the ability to staying put on their own?
Old Mon 26 April 2010, 23:24
JLFIN
Just call me: Jim

glenwood iowa
United States of America
not once the bolt is seated
is it gas or core wire
Old Tue 27 April 2010, 02:28
cvriv.charles

New Jersey
United States of America
My machine does both but I will be most likely using fluxcore to weld the machine together. Fluxcore penetrates a tiny bit more then gas. But Ive havent used gas yet so Id rather use what I know at the moment to weld the MM up.
Old Tue 27 April 2010, 02:32
cvriv.charles

New Jersey
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailfl View Post
Charles,

It depends on your design and what you want the parts to look like. It is true that you will get radiuse of the bit. But if the look of the part is critical then you want to draw that radius to insure you get what you want.
I totally get you guys. The machine will naturally leave rounded corners. Just need to know whter or not I need to draw the rounded corners. Im assuming it doesnt matter whether I drew them or not. the result would be the same. And because of that drawing rounded corners is only good for visually checking if the final look is appealing. That and if theres a couple of corners that are close together that would result in a wonky looking cut,... I would rather draw a single radius the eliminated all the corners.

Thanks guys.
Old Fri 07 May 2010, 03:21
cvriv.charles

New Jersey
United States of America
I need some serious advice. I have found myself to be in a situation I thought would never happen. Stupid me. In a nutshell, my girlfriend of 1.5 years is leaving me. I will lose my half of the house as I will be signing it over, eventually. I will not be able to use the garage as my shop.

Now. I have talked with her and she says I can still use the garage as a shop but thats not going to happen because im not sticking around to watch her make the biggest mistake of her life. I did in fact ask to stay long enough to build the machine and when done,... pack it up and leave. This way when I eventually find a shop for it, all I have to do is erect it and get to work. She said thats fine.

So as of now I am still waiting for my tax return. Basically the money I will use to build the machine. Now. I am very nervous. I have never worked with cnc machines before. I have never tried to start a business before. There are many things I am cluess about. Desinging, inventing, protyping,... I am good at. Im afraid that I will fail miserably trying to make any kind of money with this machine. Atleast enough to pay rent/ insurance for some kind of shop space. I am a very fast learner. Im pretty sure I would learn quickly how to use the machine and get it going.

I want this so bad. I have been trying to do something like this for the longest time. I really dont see myself doing anything else. This is what I love to do. But its a big chance. I think the most I would lose is time. Not really money. Because even if I fail to start a business I will not sell my machine. I would keep it in storage until I had a place where I can use it frelly without worrying about paying a rent just for it.

While trying to start the business I was going to start taking classes at a college. Basic classes first becaus eI need them. Its been a while since I have been in school. My major,.... either mechanical engineering or,..... nursing. Yes. Nursing. I have been a nurses aid for 12 years now. Nursing is right up my ally.Good steady pay. I could buy a house shortly after I graduate. Break out the MM and try the business thing again right at the house. Or I could go for engineering because I love to make stuff. Im good at it. Figuring things out. But after I graduate,... what would my options be? I dont know.

What is the likelyhood of me succeeding at starting a small business with my MM? I see guys here building shops around their MM's. I know that MM owners who use their machines to make money are making money. But thats them. What about me? I will only have the MM and other basic machinery to start. I know this is a hard question to answer. I am not stupid. I am very clever and almost always figure S@#$ out. Very determined. I dont doubt myself really. I am just fearing the unknown.

Should I just skip building the MM and just bank the money? But bank it for what? 10000 isnt squat when it comes down to affording college. I would pull loans. So,... spending it to build a MM wouldnt be a waste. Im moving back to my mothers house for the time being until I figure out my route.

Any advice please. Would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read