MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Introduce yourself and start planning
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Wed 03 February 2010, 17:16
suzuki039
Just call me: suzuki039

carabobo
Venezuela
CNC para Venezuela

Hi,
I want, well, I WILL build a CNC plasma cutter with your help, i will use it with plain metal sheets and a CHINESE Plasma Cutter.
In Venezuela, it is expensive, dificult and sometime impossible to get parts and components, so, i will ask a lot around :-)
Old Wed 03 February 2010, 18:10
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Welcome Suzuki! See Mechmate Plasma - Winston-Salem, US for another plasma cutter build.
Old Wed 03 February 2010, 21:10
riesvantwisk
Just call me: Ries #46

Quito
Ecuador
Send a message via MSN to riesvantwisk Send a message via Skype™ to riesvantwisk
Welcome suzuki039,

I know how you feel, I have been doing the same in Ecuador.
However,m there is already a MM cutting in Venezuela, here is the build thread Hugo

Since you are planning to build a plasma cutter, there are properly things you want to change, motors can be much smaller, gantry can be lighter, drivers doesn't have to be that good (but always good to have Gecko's...), your table can be lighter, you might want to have a water basin (or what do they call it??) under the table etc etc...

Ries
Old Wed 03 February 2010, 23:07
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Welcome "suzuki"

Nobody has actually built a plasma MechMate yet, so we have no experience (good or bad) to report. However, we have always preached the messages of good isolation, grounding, shielding for the electrics, with good cables and enclosures. Therefore, we don't see a problem for using MechMate and plasma.

I will be a bit careful to suggest experiments with lighter weights and lower motor powers at this stage. For example, the major weight of the moving parts lies in the gantry tubes and the y-car top plate. Both of these are around 2mm thick. If we make them thinner, then DIY welding is a big problem. A true lightweight plasma cutter will look quite a bit different to a MechMate. For a start, it will only have one gantry tube, and that changes a lot of things.
Old Thu 04 February 2010, 19:26
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Suzuki,
If you plan on waiting a while, by the end of May the UNCSA Motion Control Class will have the Plasma version completed. I am sure we will have all sorts of things to share with the forum.

Good luck.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read