MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Construction started, but not cutting yet
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Fri 21 December 2007, 11:15
Kevin
Just call me: Kevin

Canton, NC (In the Smoky Mountains)
United States of America
MechMate in Arizona

Anyone in the Phoenix area wanting to order rails from Rick Hoback at
Superior Bearing Company. The shipping for 2 10's and 2 6's is $209.50, that is half the cost of the hard drilled rails...

What I am asking is if anyone wants to go in on the shipping let me know. I am sure we can get a lot more rails shipped for not much more money...
kevin@smokymountaindesigns.com

Thanks, Kevin
Old Fri 21 December 2007, 16:45
Bill McGuire
Just call me: Bill

Weiser, Idaho
United States of America
Kevin...
What was (is) the total cost of the rails PLUS the shipping?

Bill
Old Fri 21 December 2007, 18:06
Kevin

United States of America
Bill

The hard drilled rails are $13.00 a foot no cutting charge... I need 2@ 10' and 2@ 6' for a total of $416.00... The shipping is $209.50 (more than half the cost of the rails) So the rails are $625.50 total... I went ahead and have the rollers coming but am holding off on the rails for a bit...

Kevin
Old Sat 22 December 2007, 07:00
Mike Nash
Just call me: Mike Nash

Bessemer, Alabama
United States of America
Will they ship UPS if the rails were all 6 foot? If so, it would be much cheaper to order enough 6 footers and piece them together. It would make it (slightly) harder to mount them, but not much.
Old Sat 22 December 2007, 07:11
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
They told me that UPS and FedEx will carry up to 108". Which will help with the shipping cost.
Old Sat 22 December 2007, 08:26
Kevin

United States of America
Yep that is the problem... If 108" is allowed, add for packing and that will make the rails 106" max that ships by UPS or FEDEX Ground... I want 120" rails, so the choice is...

Ship by FEDEX Freight... pay $209.50 + $416 for the rails and bolt them on

Find someone in my area to split the freight with... pay about half of the $209.50 + $416 for the rails and bolt them on

Weld or bolt two shorter rails together... pay $100.00 for shipping + $416 for the rails and try to get a CNC quality seam

Build it as Gerald originally designed, with angle iron rails... save the shipping, save the rail cost, add more work, lose the hardened edge
Old Sat 22 December 2007, 09:56
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
You might talk to the guys at Superior. They said they could be put end to end. Gerald might have some ideas. I think it was mentioned that you don't want the seam on both sides in the same place.
Old Sat 22 December 2007, 10:52
Bill McGuire
Just call me: Bill

Weiser, Idaho
United States of America
Kevin... you might want to talk to a machinist to see if they can do something to the rails so they can be "dovetailed" together for alignment.

Perhaps then you can get some shorter lengths..
Just a thought..
Bill

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read